• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thinking (T-style) women in cinema

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I just finished watching one of my favorite movies ever -- Cameron's "The Abyss". The conflict is far more situational, less epic, than some of his other movies... but pretty much characterization and relationship is the heart of the movie in ways that surpass his current movie "Avatar."

I love Lindsey as a character, not just because of her strength and the weird mix of acerbics mixed later with emotional vulnerability, but her strong T nature that asserts itself in situations.

Throughout the picture she was a tendency to obsess with things and tech, as when she is doting over her rig or complaining about how other people are abusing it; and she definitely shows a Directing quality in her nature, in that she instinctively challenges and tries to control people and situations even when it is beyond her authority or power to do so. It's also interesting how she keeps her soon-to-be-ex husband at bay; it's clear he can't let go, not because he's imbalanced but because he just really loves who she is even when it's hurting him, but she manages to dance away from his emotional overtures, viewing them almost as snares to her independence.

But my favorite scene is still the one in the broken sub, which is quickly filling with water. Bud has the suit on, it's the only one they have; they can't fix the leak because it's trapped behind a bolted panel; no one can come for them in time; and he doesn't have enough time to go back and return with another suit. Bud says, "You're smart, think of something!" You can almost see the detached little cogs whirling inside her head as she steps out of the problem and views it from above and sees the best answer they've got, although she reviews other options first. When Bud decides to take charge and start taking off his suit to give to her (which would ensure his death, but one of his strong drives in life is to protect her, despite everything), she stops him by revealing the idea that probably leaped into her mind at the beginning:

Virgil: You put this on.
Lindsey Brigman: No, no! What are you doing?
Virgil: Don't argue with me, goddammit, just put it on!
Lindsey Brigman: Look, this is not an option, so just forget about it, all right?
Virgil: Lindsey, shut up! Shut up, and put this thing on!
Lindsey Brigman: If you'll be logical for one second...
Virgil: FUCK LOGIC!
Lindsey Brigman: Please, listen! Just listen to me for one second. Now you've got the suit on, and you're a much better swimmer than I am, right?
Virgil: [reluctantly] Yeah, maybe...
Lindsey Brigman: Right? Yes! So I've got a plan.
Virgil: What's the plan?
Lindsey Brigman: I drown, and you tow me back to the rig.
Virgil: No. No!
Lindsey Brigman: Yes! This water...
Virgil: NO!
Lindsey Brigman: ...is only a couple degrees above freezing! I g-go into deep hypothermia, my blood'll go like ice water, right? My body systems will slow down, they won't stop...
Virgil: Linds...
Lindsey Brigman: You tow me back and I can, I can be revived after, maybe ten or fifteen minutes. Ten-fifteen minutes!
Virgil: [pushing the suit collar at her] Linds, you put this on, you put it on!
Lindsey Brigman: [pushing the collar back at him] No, it's the only way! Just put this on! Put this on, you know I'm right. Please, it's the only way, you've got all the s-stuff on the rig to do this! Put this on, Bud, *please*...
Virgil: [putting the collar back on] This is insane.
Lindsey Brigman: Oh my God, I know. But it's the only way. ... (pauses) You can do this, Bud. You can DO this.

But the most real part... he goes under the water to put the helmet on, momentarily detaching, leaving her alone in the small air pocket... and now she realizes what she has committed to, now that the moment of impersonal clarity has passed, and breaks down:

(Crying/wailing) Oh god... maybe this wasn't such a good idea. Oh my god. Bud! Help...! I'm scared!

And then she goes under, and kisses him on the face plate, and drowns.

I think the whole scene did a remarkable job at showing a Thinking process at work, while retaining the humanity and emotions of the thinker. Lindsey is still guided by her rationality, but she is still very human, and in this scene and a later one, where the rational wall disintegrates (where she's trying to encourage Bud but remaining impersonal, and Lisa instructs her to TALK to him, and she veer into the extremely personal to expose her feelings), we see it clearly.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Another Thinking woman I resonate with is Elle Arroway from "Contact." Again, seemingly another emotionally impenetrable Thinker (although we know the death of her father left her with a grievous wound)... but when she finds herself selected to journey in the capsule, she is fine with it until the moment of truth. When she stands outside of it, she's looking around as if it's the last time she might ever see Earth again and she wants to remember it clearly; and then her commitment to the goal clicks in and she keeps insisting she's good to go.

But the most endearing part is, during the hellride through the wormhole, where she has no idea where she's going or whether she'll survive, she continues to talk into her recorder and observe everything that is happening around her, focusing on her detached analytical approach instead of succumbing to fear. And intuition and thinking leads her to realize why the capsule might be shaking; once she sees her compass floating, she intuitively unhooks herself from her safety harness (which seems like a crazy idea, all things considered)... and finds herself floating gently as well, while the harness supports (not part of the original blueprints but added out of "human prudence") finally breaks free.

With Elle in particular, there is sense of observational detachment. She is constantly wandering through the world, all of her senses open to collecting data and trying to figure out what it means, and in the process often losing potential relationships... which aren't her priority.

It's only fitting that the resolution of the film deals with her one secret vulnerability, the loss of her father as a young girl.

Usehername

On a mission
I just finished watching one of my favorite movies ever -- Cameron's "The Abyss". The conflict is far more situational, less epic, than some of his other movies... but pretty much characterization and relationship is the heart of the movie in ways that surpass his current movie "Avatar."

Loved it. One of my favourite movies ever now, too! Soo impressed.

I also love the Thomas Crown Affair--eNTJ Rene Russo

(Couldn't find any good quotes)
Detective Michael McCann: Can I drop you someplace? At your hotel?
Catherine Banning: One, I keep an apartment here, and two, I am going to your office.
Detective Michael McCann: [pause] She keeps an apartment. I keep goldfish.

Tallulah

Emerging
MBTI Type
INTP
I identified a lot with Elinor (Emma Thompson) in Sense & Sensibility and Kristin Scott Thomas' character in Four Weddings and a Funeral.