• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Coraline: the excellent ESFP movie

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Coraline: ESFP
"Whybe": introverted thinking trickster
the other mother: extraverted feeling witch
the black cat: introverted intuition animus

spoilers below:

So when I first read on Sven Khoelers blog about the hansel and gretel witch being an extraverted feeling witch, I sort of said "ya right". But then they repeated the character again with the other mother, so I'm starting to wrap my head around the idea.

Ism

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w1
Ah! Coraline! Great movie. Did you watch it in 3D? You missed out if you didn't. The rat circus and the garden (first one) scenes were my favorite.

The mother's probably some kind of SFJ. The other mother, at least.

How would Coraline be an ESFP, though, if I might ask?

Gabe

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ah! Coraline! Great movie. Did you watch it in 3D? You missed out if you didn't. The rat circus and the garden (first one) scenes were my favorite.

The mother's probably some kind of SFJ. The other mother, at least.

How would Coraline be an ESFP, though, if I might ask?

in a sort-of reverse-engineered way, actually, with Beebe archetypes. So the other mother is an Fe witch. So now Coraline's an E_FP. No obvious signs of extraverted intuition, and some things that look like tactical skill. And her biggest complaint about her life is the percieved boring-ness.

But I'll admit, the extraverted sensing part is mostly a strong hunch so far. I might be able to think of better reasons for that eventually.

Anyways, John Beebe calls the animus a 'gateway to the unconscious', and the black cat can move freely between the two worlds, and probably represents introverted intuition: telling coraline ahead of time about the other mother's plan, warning her when she is walking into a trap. It's interesting, in U.S culture, cats seem to always be portrayed as introverted irrational types.

Whybe is a trickster, he and coraline's NAMES, are both important to the story, and in the other world, the witch knows that Coraline doesn't want to listen to him hence her, "I though you would find him more agreeable if he didn't talk" thing. For me that's a pretty good sign that he represents introverted thinking.

Finally, is this movie the kind of movie where the characters types don't stand out on thier own, but to as archetypes of a particular type pattern? definately.

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I have only seen the previews, but I was thinking more ENFP? Could be mixing the theme in with her character though, as the theme of the story is totally N, if that makes sense.