• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Sins and misconduct of organized religion

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Perhaps but there is still question of odds. Actually if I remember correctly that war was more pushed into life by more conservative or at least centrist parts of the country/system.
Plus the biggest problem with Iraq is that the magic didn't work, due to completely missed strategy. If the actual strategy in practice was to create another Japan or Germany we would probably be talking about all of this in a different fashion.

On the other hand genuine removal of fundamentalism is much deeper and complex topic than just removing people from organized religion. Since this has to be done in thinking, instead of just removing "the iconography". What is much harder to do. To me just about everyone in US still has this "loyalist vibe" regardless in which social group they are. What is because many changes were pretty shallow and "us vs. them" is still all over the place. If anything the political system itself is simply breading this.

What do you mean by the loyalist vibe? The idea that it's important to follow the party line and not question it? Yes, that is pretty widespread. That's what I'd like to smash.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I know that's why but I have never bought into the single issue voter concept as having validity. He didn't abolish abortions nor is it likely to happen in my lifetime.
We have never reached a state where safe, legal abortion is available to all Americans. Laws at the state level have continued to erode the baseline rights granted as part of Roe v. Wade, and the current SCOTUS could easily overturn that decision, throwing the entire question back to the states, and resulting in large swaths of the country where it is completely illegal. This decentralization is the only thing stopping a nationwide abolition of abortion in your and my lifetime, unless supporters of reproductive rights are able to mount a damned good defense over the next decade or so. As I keep saying, the best way to reduce abortion is to reduce unwanted pregnancy through ready access to effective, affordable birth control. The fact that those who oppose abortion also often want to limit BC shows their true agenda: imposing their own morality on others, rather than "saving babies".

Jimmy Carter would be an excellent example of what use to be the larger Evangelical Democrat group. There are lots of Christian liberals though and it's always been an important coalition in the Democratic Party but I don't see it dictating Dem policy at all.
We have long had a "Christian Left", often exemplified by the Black churches promoting civil rights, voting rights, aid to the poor, etc. While those goals have long been part of the "liberal" agenda, they have never harnessed the religious motivations nearly as effectively as the "Christian Right" has done for their agenda.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
What do you mean by the loyalist vibe? The idea that it's important to follow the party line and not question it? Yes, that is pretty widespread. That's what I'd like to smash.

That as well.
But this also includes being loyal to certain brands, to certain restaurant chains, certain sports clubs .... etc.

I think someone here called this "the Si epidemic", it is possible that it was you.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That as well.
But this also includes being loyal to certain brands, to certain restaurant chains, certain sports clubs .... etc.

I think someone here called this "the Si epidemic", it is possible that it was you.

I have used that phrase, but I think it goes beyond that to include things like an overemphasis on norms and symbols. Like, refusing to do something to address problems not because there are any laws against it, but because they would "threaten respect for the integrity of our institutions" or "might destabilize society". None of these things are laws but one side loves to act hobbled by them like they were. Or say, an obsession with Blue's Clues being too "woke" or being offended that you didn't see enough pictures of flags on Memorial Day. But it can be summed up as a bipartisan unwillingness to fix anything because that would mean changing things, and that is apparently the worst thing anyone can conceive is. There is a stubborn refusal on both sides of the aisle to even conceive of the possibility that things are different than they were 30 or 40 years ago; they'll swallow anything as long as it helps them to maintain that illusion.

I think we're in a state of decline, and it's going to be made worse by all the idiots with power in a constant state of denial about this. Maybe it is possible to pull out of it, but that's not going to happen by denying our current trajectory which is decades long at this point. Acting like a nation of overgrown toddlers who need to be soothed and coddled by vain attempts to make everything stay the same is not a solution.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
I have used that phrase, but I think it goes beyond that to include things like an overemphasis on norms and symbols. Like, refusing to do something to address problems not because there are any laws against it, but because they would "threaten respect for the integrity of our institutions" or "might destabilize society". None of these things are laws but one side loves to act hobbled by them like they were. Or say, an obsession with Blue's Clues being too "woke" or being offended that you didn't see enough pictures of flags on Memorial Day. But it can be summed up as a bipartisan unwillingness to fix anything because that would mean changing things, and that is apparently the worst thing anyone can conceive is. There is a stubborn refusal on both sides of the aisle to even conceive of the possibility that things are different than they were 30 or 40 years ago; they'll swallow anything as long as it helps them to maintain that illusion.

I think we're in a state of decline, and it's going to be made worse by all the idiots with power in a constant state of denial about this. Maybe it is possible to pull out of it, but that's not going to happen by denying our current trajectory which is decades long at this point. Acting like a nation of overgrown toddlers who need to be soothed and coddled by vain attempts to make everything stay the same is not a solution.

Yeah, I have noticed that plenty of people are freaking out over any changes. The line like "the president's historic tax changes" to me are kinda absurd. Here the changes in taxes are a constant thing that happens fairly often. Plus you don't need the signature of just about all bureaucrats and judges to do this. Since the political system is much more fluid and you can actually govern.

However all of this is coming from the fact that you never had a giant but modern mess at home. In a way the COVID was baptisation of the country in this regard, since now for the first time the ugliness of reality truly struck at home. While for me these aren't the first lockdowns and stay at home times in my life. What is textbook "what doesn't kill you makes you stronger if you can learn the lesson". Having things done always in your way is a luxury that sometimes you just don't have.

Lark

Considering the "sins and misconduct" of organized religion, in general, as opposed to any of the particular examples this thread will no doubt fill up with, I'd say its nothing compared to the examples available from unorganized religion.

In fact, a lot of the examples in this thread I'd personally classify as unorganized or less organized varieties of religion. A lot of the better examples of religion, or religion at its best, seldom get considered. Those examples of religion at its best usually have have some clear organized/organizing principles involved.

Using the language of "sin", something clearly borrowed from religion itself. Kind of begs the question of whether that kind of critique of religion would be possible if it hadnt been for religion in the first place. Religion being such a good descriptive source when its to conceptualizing right and wrong.

There's a question of the choice of representations of religion, ie is it fair to constantly represent religion at its absolute worst as religion per se. Is it really the default that's being represented? If its not then why is it so popular a thing to represent it as the default?

There's also a question of the choice of stories about religion, are they representative of religion per se or are they are representation of the betrayal of religion?

Anyway, I'm just noting this and posting this as none of these things got a mention, as they didnt the last time, as I'm absolutely certain they will not the next time. I guess its a missed opportunity as any actual discussion goes. But I'm sure same old, same old is really working for a lot of people here. Also, for the small and shrinking number of new posters, it could be fresh. Carry on. I think I hear echoes in one, two, three...

Lark

:D

And there we are.

To be honest reading a few of the other threads, like the high thread a few others like it, I guess that I've been not been on the same page as the majority of other posters for a while now.

It just seems to be trending. Dumbing down was just a prelude to disabling thinking altogether.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
There’s always at least one of them with the Christian persecution complex.

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
Considering the "sins and misconduct" of organized religion, in general, as opposed to any of the particular examples this thread will no doubt fill up with, I'd say its nothing compared to the examples available from unorganized religion.

In fact, a lot of the examples in this thread I'd personally classify as unorganized or less organized varieties of religion. A lot of the better examples of religion, or religion at its best, seldom get considered. Those examples of religion at its best usually have have some clear organized/organizing principles involved.

Using the language of "sin", something clearly borrowed from religion itself. Kind of begs the question of whether that kind of critique of religion would be possible if it hadnt been for religion in the first place. Religion being such a good descriptive source when its to conceptualizing right and wrong.

There's a question of the choice of representations of religion, ie is it fair to constantly represent religion at its absolute worst as religion per se. Is it really the default that's being represented? If its not then why is it so popular a thing to represent it as the default?

There's also a question of the choice of stories about religion, are they representative of religion per se or are they are representation of the betrayal of religion?

Anyway, I'm just noting this and posting this as none of these things got a mention, as they didnt the last time, as I'm absolutely certain they will not the next time. I guess its a missed opportunity as any actual discussion goes. But I'm sure same old, same old is really working for a lot of people here. Also, for the small and shrinking number of new posters, it could be fresh. Carry on. I think I hear echoes in one, two, three...

So you have sympathies towards genuine Islam and the cast system in India ?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Morality comes from religion and god, therefore the religious hold the patent and exclusive selling rights on the concepts of sin and evil.

So predictable and clockwork. It really shows the kind of black and white worldview these institutions have always peddled and which appeals to a certain type.

(No, it wasn’t lost on me when I titled the thread)

Lark

Morality comes from religion and god, therefore the religious hold the patent and exclusive selling rights on the concepts of sin and evil.

So predictable and clockwork. It really shows the kind of black and white worldview these institutions have always peddled and which appeals to a certain type.

(No, it wasn’t lost on me when I titled the thread)

Is that what you thought I was saying? Maybe your post was addressed to someone else and that is why I'm trying to clarify but if you genuinely, I mean honestly and truthfully, took this from what I actually typed in my last post I really dont think there is any point in speaking to you.

In this case you simply dont want to communicate or discuss things but would prefer just to restate what you think already (and we all know). Which is fine, whatever works for you. It would not work for me, maybe you could say why it works for you? At least that would be something different from a liberal profession of faith.

Lark

No one has any answers about why the organization or organizing principle of religion is an issue so I'll maybe ask another question.

Why are the "sins and misconduct" of religion different to any other sort of "sins and misconduct"? Why do they deserve special attention at the present moment?

I know in the UK alone for any reports of abuse of women, children, fraud, theft, violence, exploitation of vulnerable people by religious institutions it is possible to find two or three examples of the same behaviour arising from privilege, secular public institutions, secular private individuals, celebrity etc.

Just this week the metropolitan police has been ajudged to be institutionally corruption, not historically but today on an on going basis. This arising from a public enquiry into the death of a journalist investigating the relationship between failings to detect crime, pursue investigations or prosecutions and Masonic Lodges.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
No one has any answers about why the organization or organizing principle of religion is an issue so I'll maybe ask another question.

Why are the "sins and misconduct" of religion different to any other sort of "sins and misconduct"? Why do they deserve special attention at the present moment?

I know in the UK alone for any reports of abuse of women, children, fraud, theft, violence, exploitation of vulnerable people by religious institutions it is possible to find two or three examples of the same behaviour arising from privilege, secular public institutions, secular private individuals, celebrity etc.

Just this week the metropolitan police has been ajudged to be institutionally corruption, not historically but today on an on going basis. This arising from a public enquiry into the death of a journalist investigating the relationship between failings to detect crime, pursue investigations or prosecutions and Masonic Lodges.

Perhaps since this thread is for documenting abuses and crimes of organized religion, it might be a bit off topic to focus on the crimes and abuses of other institutions (which no one has denied; no one is saying organized religion is the only source of all wrongdoings in the world).

Can you clarify why you are so bothered by people focusing on this particular type of institution? You are certainly free to start a thread on the crimes ofmasonic lodges, metro police, etc, I'm just confused why you keep getting so upset that there's a thread specifically devoted to critiquing or documenting abuses by religious orgs.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
For instance, I have a thread devoted to police misconduct, but I don't see anyone in there whining about it focusing specifically on police orgs and wondering why they're being singled out.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Do you ever stop and step back to realize how whiny your posts have been for years, any time anyone from another country criticizes religious practices in their country?

You are complaining repeatedly (post after post) like rapid gunfire about how everyone is treating religion (presumably yours) unfairly, ad nauseum. (Honestly there's no reason why you should be in here making post after post in a row that are just passive-aggressive in nature anyway. Why not actually argue the points head on?)

But take this bit for example:

This is just a "#NotAllReligions' cursory argument without any substance offered in support of it. THe assumption of course is that "a lot of better examples of religion" refers to your particular blend of faith, and the criticized religions are of course not indicative of your grand faith. But you've had, what, 10+ years to make your case. Mostly now you get ignored, and it's mainly because of this kind of posting style.

I don't see USA folks are hating religion per se, but what we are jaded by are the folks most loudly screaming "religion" and insisting that they have the only "real faith" are usually the most abusive organizations and also some of the most tainted. some of us spent years, decades even, involves as active believers in said religious denominations. I don't know anyone who complains about the average person who has a quiet faith and is out there living it -- helping people, sacrificing for the good of others, providing actual encouragement and support. That's my mom in a nutshell, for example.

But hey, guess what? In the USA, everything is a policy and doctrine war, publicly -- if you don't hold the "Correct Beliefs" about god, then anything good you do is discarded or dismissed by the most vocal religious proponents. I have literally been watching this get worse and worse since I was old enough to recognize it -- and we're talking late 70's here. Even though I was involved in various denominations for many years after, I remember just being mortified hearing it endlessly. I daresay Biden or Obama have stronger personal faiths than Donald Trump, but the vocal religious conservatives still try to compare them and still support Trump because he agrees with them politically. Morally, though, the man is a terrible mess. ANd so are all these other religious leaders who keep setting themselves up for a huge moral tumble while pretending they are better morally than everyone else and disregarding not just other faiths but other denominations of the same faith they claim to profess. Here they are arguing about "doctrinal purity" in effect, while missing the fact that their denomination of religious faith is bleeding itself dry due to defections and not actually helping people in a way that would make their lives better.

That's the reality here. It gets old. We're tired. We're jaded by the corruption.

If you want to discuss religion, honestly, why don't you start showcasing good things about your particular blend of faith instead of whining about the criticism that people are leveling against faith that just happens to be whatever you personally buy into? If you don't think you should be lumped in with that, then share examples of the good that will distinguish you rather than complaining you're being tainted by connection and essentially blaming the people who are put off by the hypocrisies.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Why do you think that is?

Wait.

On second thoughts, never mind.

Why do you always do the non-question posturing thing?

It's tiresome. I can see why you had a grudge against Mole (people often seem most irritated by traits in others that are prominent in their own behaviors and personalities)