• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random political thought thread.

Jaguar

I admit I don't know much about John Lewis

That means when you see a photo like this, it just looks like people out for an afternoon stroll.

subSELMA-pg1-facebookJumbo.jpg

Maou

Mythos
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Just because one conclusion of someone doesn't check out, doesn't mean every conclusion they have is wrong

Jaguar

Pennsylvania Lt. Gov. John Fetterman filed paperwork Thursday to run for the U.S. Senate in 2022. It certainly won't be boring, that's for sure. ;)

Jaguar

"I hope you choke to death" when I was on assignment, staking out his house.

What part of "staking out" do you not realize is highly abnormal behavior for a so-called journalist? Did you expect him to offer you tea?

Lark

“But if we approach political theory from a different angle, then we find that far from solving any fundamental problems, we have merely skipped over them, by assuming that the question 'Who should rule?' is fundamental. For even those who share this assumption of Plato's admit that political rulers are not always sufficiently 'good' or 'wise' (we need not worry about the precise meaning of these terms), and that it is not at all easy to get a government on whose goodness and wisdom one can implicitly rely. If that is granted, then we must ask whether political thought should not face from the beginning the possibility of bad government; whether we should not prepare for the worst leaders, and hope for the best. But this leads to a new approach to the problem of politics, for it forces us to replace the question: Who should rule? by the new question: How can we so organize political institutions that bad or incompetent rulers can be prevented from doing too much damage?”
Karl Popper, 'The Open Society and Its Enemies'.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
“But if we approach political theory from a different angle, then we find that far from solving any fundamental problems, we have merely skipped over them, by assuming that the question 'Who should rule?' is fundamental. For even those who share this assumption of Plato's admit that political rulers are not always sufficiently 'good' or 'wise' (we need not worry about the precise meaning of these terms), and that it is not at all easy to get a government on whose goodness and wisdom one can implicitly rely. If that is granted, then we must ask whether political thought should not face from the beginning the possibility of bad government; whether we should not prepare for the worst leaders, and hope for the best. But this leads to a new approach to the problem of politics, for it forces us to replace the question: Who should rule? by the new question: How can we so organize political institutions that bad or incompetent rulers can be prevented from doing too much damage?”
Karl Popper, 'The Open Society and Its Enemies'.

Wow, this is brilliant.

I'm guessing "relying on norms and preserving respect for institutions" isn't part of the answer.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Today, prisoners don’t get to vote. But they are still counted in the census, and drive up the electoral votes of red states despite being disenfranchised.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Neoliberals:The government was headed for four years who was the next Hitler. We need to be very concerned about that, and how dare you not display as much of a spectacle of taking it seriously as me.

Also Neoliberals: Weakening the bill of rights and giving law enforcement and spy agencies more power is ok because American norms and traditions mean that only people who respect freedom will be in positions of power.

Evidence and reason for the win.

Lark

Neoliberals:The government was headed for four years who was the next Hitler. We need to be very concerned about that, and how dare you not display as much of a spectacle of taking it seriously as me.

Also Neoliberals: Weakening the bill of rights and giving law enforcement and spy agencies more power is ok because American norms and traditions mean that only people who respect freedom will be in positions of power.

Evidence and reason for the win.

Orwell used to right about english people believing the police would protect them from fascism with equal incredulity

Jaguar

Stephen Bannon has made a bold vow: "Deconstruction of the administrative state." For Bannon to use a term invented by French academic literary critics, the founding fathers of political correctness, is ironic. Achieving the goal in four or even eight years is an iridescent dream because it would require the uprooting of a 130-year-old complex of institutions, practices and statutes that no Congress, however partisan, would agree to.

Why some people don't want to understand that is odd.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good thing they're all banished to the Phantom Zone now so we don't have to worry about them having power ever again. Obviously they're all going to end up in jail.

Jaguar

Ted Cruz said:
California is now unable to perform even basic functions of civilization, like having reliable electricity.

Biden/Harris/AOC want to make CA’s failed energy policy the standard nationwide.

Hope you don’t like air conditioning!

8-19-2020

How's Texas doing, Ted? Hope you don't like heat!

Burning Paradigm

Vibe Curator & Night Owl
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
If I hear one more politician or TV talking head blame the stuff we're experiencing in Texas on green energy, I'm going to kick a hole in the wall.

On a side note, the type of Northern liberals who sneer at people dying here or without power can also go fuck themselves, but these idiots are the bigger problem ^^^

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
If I hear one more politician or TV talking head blame the stuff we're experiencing in Texas on green energy, I'm going to kick a hole in the wall.

On a side note, the type of Northern liberals who sneer at people dying here or without power can also go fuck themselves, but these idiots are the bigger problem ^^^

So our DSA chapter has been working with the autonomous Mutual Aid as well as the DSA chapters in Dallas, Houston and Austin to get money and supplies down there. If I hear one more fucking lib (some right wingers but usually not, they just silently support letting ppl die) husk tell me not to waste my time (red state/Trump voters/bootraps) I'm going to punch them in the face. I know all kinds of people in TX, none of them voted for Trump but no one should be dying and freezing there no matter who they voted for.

Autonomous Mutual Aid Groups Mobilize in Texas as Death Toll Rises - It's Going Down