User Tag List

First 41495051525361101151 Last

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    As opposed to the Freedom Fries Republicans?
    Freedom to allow boys on an Ohio wrestling team to be molested by the team doctor? Jimmy J, what a guy. If he'd stand around while they were molested, he'll stand around while Trump molests the country.
    Wear the damn mask.

blackbird, fly Julius_Van_Der_Beak's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Freedom to allow boys on an Ohio wrestling team to be molested by the team doctor? Jimmy J, what a guy. If he'd stand around while they were molested, he'll stand around while Trump molests the country.
    Oh right, I referenced something before 2016.

Freedom fries - Wikipedia
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

Quote Originally Posted by Julius_Van_Der_Beak View Post
    Oh right,I referenced something before 2016.

Freedom fries - Wikipedia
    The FF thing was ridiculous.
    Wear the damn mask.

MBTI
    INTP

What are you, anyway? A registered Independent, or one of those newly minted Republicans who aren't really Republicans, but merely shitheads who like to yell MAGA!!!?
    I'm just a capitalist workaholic. If business hasn't been booming for me these last few years, I might give the old boy less of a pass. How's business been for you these past few?

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    I'm just a capitalist workaholic. If business hasn't been booming for me these last few years, I might give the old boy less of a pass. How's business been for you these past few?
    I would appreciate it if some lunatic stopped fucking around with tariffs and tweets, which in turn destabilize markets. Thanks to his antics, I have to monitor my investments more closely and make adjustments. How does who is in office directly affect your income?
    Wear the damn mask.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Personally, I'm doing pretty well in terms of finances, but I have issues with Trump for other reasons. I personally think my decision to enter grad school and work on useful skills, as well as a solid educational background as an undergrad, has more to do with my more current situation than who happens to be President at the moment, anyway. Personal responsibility and all that.

Trump was so bad he made me vote for someone I dislike a great deal (and my reasons date back less to the 90's and more to the 00's). If it'd been someone else on the ticket, I probably would have just voted for a third party or write-in candidate. It's amusing people try to justify their support of him by claiming he's playing "five-dimensional chess" without being able to provide any evidence for that.

In my experience, when people claim someone is playing "five-dimensional chess" it's usually all in their heads. People said that about Hillary's terrible campaign, too. If you're shitty at chess, it's not because you're secretly good at it and nobody can understand how good you actually are.

-Zhuangzi

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

Pete Buttigieg Faces Backlash After Speech At Tea Party Event Resurfaces Online: 'He's Done. Absolutely Done'

Democratic presidential candidate Pete Buttigieg faced some strong criticism online after a 2010 video of him speaking at an Indiana state Tea Party event resurfaced this week, with critics of the South Bend mayor accusing him of "sidling up to racists" and saying he's "absolutely done."......
    “Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

“It is clear that thought is not free if the profession of certain opinions makes it impossible to earn a living. It is clear also that thought is not free if all the arguments on one side of a controversy are perpetually presented as attractively as possible, while the arguments on the other side can only be discovered by diligent search.”

― Bertrand Russell, Sceptical Essays

More people hyperventilating over nothing.
    Wear the damn mask.

MBTI
    INTP

I would appreciate it if some lunatic stopped fucking around with tariffs and tweets, which in turn destabilize markets. Thanks to his antics, I have to monitor my investments more closely and make adjustments. How does who is in office directly affect your income?
    I have someone else handle my investments (my brain can't handle that shit), but directly the type of people in my community that hire me (old money) are a lot more spendy when the economy is growing (as it typically has under republican watch- tail end of bushes years not withstanding).

I don't like his trade policies either, but overall it would be worse for my pocketbook with any alternative at this point. If that changes, I'll change with it.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by anticlimatic View Post
    I have someone else handle my investments (my brain can't handle that shit), but directly the type of people in my community that hire me (old money) are a lot more spendy when the economy is growing (as it typically has under republican watch- tail end of bushes years not withstanding).

I don't like his trade policies either, but overall it would be worse for my pocketbook with any alternative at this point. If that changes, I'll change with it.
    I would assume that you don't want a Democrat in the White House for similar reasons that he doesn't want Warren or Sanders in there... you see it as affecting you negatively financially.

Given the fact that you both share a worldview that views financial success as indicative of other kinds of worth as well as one that is inclined to view taxation as theft, and tends to assume that the market will fix everything worth fixing, it's unclear why you wouldn't vote for Trump if you believe he has helped you with financial success and has prevented more theft. It's odd that he can't understand that given that he shares a similar worldview. I suppose the fact that he's more tied to the stock market gives him a slightly different perspective.

This also shows why supporting someone who will further a neoliberal paradigm will be unlikely to unseat Trump, especially when the failures of that paradigm have fueled his popularity. I suppose it hinges on convincing farmers that the fact that the tariffs have hurt them matters more than the fact that he's going to do something about those immigrants or offends "coastal elites" or whatever it is they like about him. Or perhaps there is an imaginary contingent of Republicans who feel he doesn't represent their party but who nonetheless voted for him the first time around maybe won't vote for him a second time, so we need someone like Biden to appeal to them.

Neither of those things are stuff I'd place money on if I were a gambling man.

-Zhuangzi