• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anyone into buddhism/hinduism?

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
If so, how did you come across it? What about it appeals to you? How do you practice?

CarolineJ

MBTI Type
INFJ
My father is a Buddhist. He was a spiritual medium but left a lot of his abilities behind him as they're considered to be a distraction in Buddhism. When my abilities turned on rather suddenly (and frighteningly) I found support from a little spiritualist church. Their teachings were mostly Buddhist and so I learned quite a bit about it.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My father is a Buddhist. He was a spiritual medium but left a lot of his abilities behind him as they're considered to be a distraction in Buddhism. When my abilities turned on rather suddenly (and frighteningly) I found support from a little spiritualist church. Their teachings were mostly Buddhist and so I learned quite a bit about it.

Schizophrenia?
@Starry

Most of my family is dead. I could confirm or deny anything you claim they say.

devaf

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I'm Hindu. I was born into it. The practice of it is a natural way of life for me. I'm interested to know: Why did you ask?

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I don't prescribe to any religion. I do however like the mindfulness approach of Buddhism. It's a mental discipline of one's thoughts. The Western parallel is CBT (Cognitive Behavior Therapy) and REBT (Rational Emotive Behavior Therapy). These psychology approaches seek to teach us to be aware of our subconscious thoughts and eradicate cognitive distortions or fallacies in logic and replace these thoughts with more rational ones/ It is a useful tool for mindfulness and self awareness as well mental discipline.

Albert Einstein said, "If there is any religion that can cope with modern scientific needs it would be Buddhism." Albert Einstein

LightSun

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
'The bodhisattva path is a union of compassion and insightful wisdom into the true nature of reality'

(1). Generosity (giving).

(2). Ethical behavior or moral discipline.

(3). Patience.

(4). Effort, energy.

(5). Meditative concentration.

(6). Wisdom.

"Some tenants of a bodhisattva'

Renunciation.

Truthfulness.

Resolve.

Equanimity.

Loving-kindness.

The Four Noble Truths
In his first sermon after attaining enlightenment, the Buddha taught the "Four Noble Truths," which form the foundation of belief for all branches of Buddhism:

1. All of life is marked by suffering.

2. Suffering is caused by desire and attachment.

3. Suffering can be stopped.

4. The way to end suffering is to follow the Noble Eightfold Path.

'The Four Vows'

These vows are recited every morning and evening by good Buddhists, especially Zen monks.

(1). I vow to save all sentient beings.

(2). I vow to abandon avarice, hatred, and ignorance.

(3). I vow to study the sacred teachings.

(4). I vow to follow the way of the Buddha.

The Noble Eight-fold Path

According to the fourth Noble Truth, one can permanently escape suffering by following the Noble Eight-fold Path. The word "right" in these eight items designates "true" or "correct," to distinguish the Buddhist way from others: It is not enough to gain knowledge; it must be right knowledge.
1. Right knowledge
2. Right intention
3. Right speech
4. Right action
5. Right livelihood
6. Right effort
7. Right mindfulness
8. Right concentration

'The Ten Non-Virtuous Actions'
Perfection is the commonly accepted translation of the original Sanskrit term paramita, which literally means to carry across. The poetic image suggested here is a vast ocean of suffering, on the other side of which lies the far shore of enlightenment. By relying on these six up to 11) practices, or perfections, the compassionate Bodhisattva can ferry beings across-including herself. Door number one are the actions of your Body

(1). Not to kill.

(2). Not to steal.

(3). Not to misuse sex.

Door number two is your speech

(4). Not to lie.

(5). Not to discuss the others faults, errors or use divisive speech. Do not elevate yourself and blame others or praising selfall along degrading others utilized divisive speech.

(6). Harsh speech.

(7). Idle gossip.

Door number three are your thoughts.

(8). Coveting what belongs to others.

(9). Ill will.

(10). Wrong views.

(Tenents)

Do not use intoxicants.

Not to spare the teachings.

Not to indulge in anger.

Not to malign the Three Treasures/Three Jewels of Refuge (Buddha, dharma, Sangha).

Do not be stingy.

The 10 Stages of Enlightenment:
(1). Seeking the ox: You seek true satisfaction in life but can't find it in-career, relationships, family, material world. You haven't been introduced to the possibility of awakening to your True nature; you don't really know where to look.

(2). Finding the tracks: You've been introduce to the teachings of Zen. You're on the trail through the practice of meditation.

(3). Glimpsing the ox: You have your first direct insight, or kensho. Now you know that the ox or true nature is everywhere and expresses itself as everything. But, this realization quickly slips into the background.

(4). Catching the ox: You're aware of your True nature in every moment and situation. You're never apart from it, even for an instant. But, your mind continues to be turbulent and unruly, and you need to concentrate to keep from getting distracted.

(5). Taming the ox: Finally, the mind settles down as every trace of doubt disappears. You're so firmly established in your experience of True nature that even thoughts no longer distract you.

(6). Riding the ox: Now you and your True nature are in total harmony. You no longer have to resist temptation or distraction.

(7). Forgetting the ox: You and the ox or True nature are one. You meet life as it unfolds.

(8). Forgetting both self and the ox-an empty circle: The last traces of separate self have dropped away. Even the thought, “I am enlightened," or "I am the embodiment of Buddha nature," can no longer occur. You're at the same time completely ordinary and completely free of any attachment or identification.

(9). Returning to the source: After you've merged with the source, you see everything in all its diversity (painful, and pleasurable, beautiful and ugly) as the perfect expression of this source. You don't need to resist or change anything. You’re completely with the suchness of life.

(10). Entering the world with helping hands. With no trace of a separate self to be enlightened or deluded, the distinction between the two dissolves in spontaneous, compassionate activity. Now you move freely through the world like water through water, without the slightest resistance, helping where appropriate and naturally kindling awakening in others."

'The Three Treasures / Three Jewels of Refuge'

(1). The Buddha (enlightened being).

(2). The Dharma (Buddhist teachings).

(3). The Sangha (community of all beings).

'The Three Wisdoms as the Foundation for Insight'

(1). The wisdom gained from listening.

(2). The wisdom gained from reflection.

(3). The wisdom gained from meditation.