• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Millennials and Nihilism

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Got this thread idea from two things: firstly, this article in the New York Times today, and secondly, a recent episode of WNYC's "Radiolab" podcast/radio show, hosted by Jad Abumrad and Robert Krulwich. Below is the closest I could get to a transcript/summary -- as well as a link to the podcast.

In The Dust Of This Planet - Radiolab

afterlight.jpeg

Horror, fashion, and the end of the world … things get weird as we explore the undercurrents of thought that link nihilists, beard-stroking philosophers, Jay-Z, and True Detective.

Today on Radiolab, a puzzle. Jad’s brother-in-law wrote a book called 'In The Dust of This Planet'.

It’s an academic treatise about the horror humanity feels as we realize that we are nothing but a speck in the universe. For a few years nobody read it. But then …

True_Detective.jpeg

It seemed to show up on True Detective.

Lilly_Collins.jpeg

Then in a fashion magazine.

JayZShot.jpeg

And then on Jay-Z's back. How?

We talk nihilism with Eugene Thacker & Simon Critchley, leather jackets with June Ambrose, climate change with David Victor, and hope with the father of Transcendental Black Metal - Hunter Hunt Hendrix of the band Liturgy. Special thanks to Thrill Jockey for use of the Liturgy song 'Generation'.

Thoughts/opinions/feelings/etc? Does this resonate?

My thoughts are below, in spoiler tags.

GarrotTheThief

The Green Jolly Robin H.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I think it might be a phase or particular cultural trait based on this generation being overexposed to electronic devices.

It's a hunch though so take it with a grain of salt. The internet can make someone feel small.

Before the internet the world felt bigger, more dangerous, but certainly more of an adventurous proposition. We are no pushing towards the frontiers and boundaries of our geographic existence so I think this is a phenomena related to that...