• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Interaction styles?

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Interaction styles, and how they correlate with MBTI. This was brought up in another thread, so I'll discuss it here.

If your'e not aware, there are four interaction styles.

Chart-the-Course: ISTJ, ISTP, INTJ, and INFJ
Behind-the-Scenes: ISFJ, ISFP, INFP, and INTP
Get-Things-Going: ESFJ, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP
In-Charge: ESTJ, ESTP, ENTJ, and ENFJ

I think these can account for a lot more than we think. I don't want to put him on the spot, but I'll bring in [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] here. Many here think he isn't an ENFJ. Could those non-ENFJ qualities be because ENFJ is the only Feeling type in the In-Charge interaction style group? Perhaps this is also why ESFJs type as ENFPs (as referenced in [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]'s thread). Maybe this is why INFPs and INTPs are always mixing themselves up. And, for the age-old INFP vs INFJ question, could interaction styles help the confused INFx in their typing process?

I am fairly confident that I am in the Behind-the-Scenes grouping, after having read about it and taking this test. Knowing I am undoubtedly an F, I can narrow myself down to INFP, ISFP, and ISFJ. Of the IxFx types, INFJ is the one that doesn't match as well. This seems a lot simpler than sorting through 16.

For the test - Otter correlates with Get-Things-Going, Retriever correlates with Behind-the-Scenes, Beaver correlates with Chart-the-Course, and Lion correlates with In-Charge.

What is your input?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
This reminds me of that dating site. Which makes me feel bad. :(

It makes me feel like you know a lot about it because you frequent that dating site.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
This reminds me of that dating site. Which makes me feel bad. :(

It makes me feel like you know a lot about it because you frequent that dating site.

What dating site? I certainly don't frequent a dating site, nor do I even have an account. Well, I might have an OKcupid account I made just to take a quiz.

What makes you think I'm on a dating site?

AphroditeGoneAwry

failure to thrive
MBTI Type
INfj
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
What dating site? I certainly don't frequent a dating site, nor do I even have an account. Well, I might have an OKcupid account I made just to take a quiz.

What makes you think I'm on a dating site?

Eharmony maybe? Dont they have these tests on there?

chickpea

perfect person
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
i can see the different styles looking at myself vs my ISTP boyfriend. even though we're both generally laid back, he's definitely more concerned with controlling and shaping the situation he's in, while i let things play out naturally and adapt to them.

Ti+Se can appear almost like Te, so ESTP and ISTP being grouped with the judgers makes sense to me.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'd like a little bit more of a description of the interaction styles and what they actually mean. How do they differ from each other?

á´…eparted

passages
I like the interactions style, as it largely fits. The only thing that doesn't fit is [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] doesn't strick me as a get-things-going, but more of an in-charge person (though she can correct me if I am wrong). Not every individual is going to fit this. I am definitely in-charge style, there is no question there at all.

Ultimately, I think this is a good way to sort through typing if one is stuck, because it pairs them up differently, and reflects types under a unique (but seemingly valid) light. Not everyone will be well differentiated by this (for example, if someone is torn between ISTJ and INTJ, this will be of little help. But, if someone is torn between ENFJ and ESFJ, this could help a lot.

My non-ENFJ flavors mostly come from my enneagram.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I like the interactions style, as it largely fits. The only thing that doesn't fit is [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION] doesn't strick me as a get-things-going, but more of an in-charge person (though she can correct me if I am wrong). Not every individual is going to fit this. I am definitely in-charge style, there is no question there at all.

I see people reference them a lot, but what I haven't seen is a description, maybe a paragraph or two, of what each style means.

I suppose I could see "behind the scenes" for myself, but everything else seems kind of vague and needs more fleshing out. It's an interesting concept that I'd like to learn more about.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interaction styles, and how they correlate with MBTI. This was brought up in another thread, so I'll discuss it here.

If your'e not aware, there are four interaction styles.

Chart-the-Course: ISTJ, ISTP, INTJ, and INFJ
Behind-the-Scenes: ISFJ, ISFP, INFP, and INTP
Get-Things-Going: ESFJ, ESFP, ENFP, ENTP
In-Charge: ESTJ, ESTP, ENTJ, and ENFJ

I think these can account for a lot more than we think. I don't want to put him on the spot, but I'll bring in [MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION] here. Many here think he isn't an ENFJ. Could those non-ENFJ qualities be because ENFJ is the only Feeling type in the In-Charge interaction style group? Perhaps this is also why ESFJs type as ENFPs (as referenced in [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]'s thread). Maybe this is why INFPs and INTPs are always mixing themselves up. And, for the age-old INFP vs INFJ question, could interaction styles help the confused INFx in their typing process?

I am fairly confident that I am in the Behind-the-Scenes grouping, after having read about it and taking this test. Knowing I am undoubtedly an F, I can narrow myself down to INFP, ISFP, and ISFJ. Of the IxFx types, INFJ is the one that doesn't match as well. This seems a lot simpler than sorting through 16.

For the test - Otter correlates with Get-Things-Going, Retriever correlates with Behind-the-Scenes, Beaver correlates with Chart-the-Course, and Lion correlates with In-Charge.

What is your input?

I like them. There is definitely some worthwhile stuff here. I took a weekend course taught by Linda Berens sponsored by the local chapter of psychological type and this was one of the modules she taught. She has a pamphlet on it but this link has the intro to the material. She invented this so it was nice to be taught by the person who came up with the system.

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, this is in line with me and my ENFP.

He is the navigator (get things going) and I'm the pilot. (Chart the course). Its how we work together.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I like the interaction styles, and I'd like to learn more about them as I haven't looked into them too much, but they seem more promising then the Kiersey temperaments. But directing and informing is really hard for me, and depends on who I'm with. Like when I'm at work or school or something and I'm in my high-strung-because-I-have-to-socialize-with-scary-strangers mode, I'd consider myself informing, but when I think about how I talk around friends and family, I'm definitely directing. That test you linked stuck me in chart-the-course, which doesn't surprise me because MBTI tests almost always give me ISTJ. I'll have to look into the styles more though. They definitely look worthwhile. If anyone knows of any good reading material regarding the interaction styles, they would be much appreciated.

Dyslexxie

Dope& diamonds.
Hmmm that's interesting because I've always been a quite capable leader and often type as an ENTJ but I don't necessarily enjoy that role and I'm far too fluid to be an ENTJ. I'd rather be the person putting things in motion and creating something, so I would say the get-things-going is the most accurate description of me.
Also of course I'm an otter. :3
5e96a4fb8de127977c8bd6395e527a9a.jpg

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmmm that's interesting because I've always been a quite capable leader and often type as an ENTJ but I don't necessarily enjoy that role and I'm far too fluid to be an ENTJ. I'd rather be the person putting things in motion and creating something, so I would say the get-things-going is the most accurate description of me.
Also of course I'm an otter. :3
5e96a4fb8de127977c8bd6395e527a9a.jpg

Whatareyouupto? (pronounce what with some kind of mock english accent) :wink:

Or just say the a like "water"

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I was thinking about the interaction styles today and actually I think I probably do have more of an informing style. I realized this after I 'informed' (heh) my sister, "Your cat's litter box smells and I'm tired of freaking smelling it" instead of saying "Take out your cat's litter box." :laugh:

Which would put me in the Retriever profile. #ISFJconfirmed

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm so direct it's not even funny. People get annoyed at me for it, but i cant stand it when they make me guess what they want and then get mad at me for not doing it.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I am “In Charge" with more passive, introverted people but "Chart the Course" with strong extroverts.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The people that hate being lead the most. :tongue:

Actually I have no problem not being the leader, I'd rather someone else run the show and I'll do my thing in the background. Most of the time the people do a decent enough job running things; they're not perfect but I don't envy their position. The ones who make what I think are bad calls, I'll be prone to resist or question more. And I'm not talking about people dictating what I do, I'm talking about mature team leadership or partnership. But yeah, I'm totally ok with other people driving, I'll provide input, but I've had to do the 'take charge' and 'chart the course' roles in previous jobs and while I can do it, I hate it and it stresses me out.

The get-things-going style is something I'd fail miserably at :laugh:

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Oh yeah, I'm 100% "In Charge" by the descriptions, haha.

Though some of these differences don't make sense to me. Why would ENFJ be in charge, when ESFJ isn't?

I like them. There is definitely some worthwhile stuff here. I took a weekend course taught by Linda Berens sponsored by the local chapter of psychological type and this was one of the modules she taught. She has a pamphlet on it but this link has the intro to the material. She invented this so it was nice to be taught by the person who came up with the system.
Ooh, great link.
[MENTION=20829]Hard[/MENTION], these descriptions make [MENTION=19948]Showbread[/MENTION]'s "get things going" style plausible IMO.