• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

MBTI and drug use.

Do you, or have you at one time, regularly used a recreational drug?

• I - Yes

Votes: 51 33.8%
  • E - Yes

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • N - Yes

Votes: 62 41.1%
  • S - Yes

Votes: 11 7.3%
  • T - Yes

Votes: 42 27.8%
  • F - Yes

Votes: 28 18.5%
  • P - Yes

Votes: 52 34.4%
  • J - Yes

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • I - No

Votes: 63 41.7%
  • E - No

Votes: 13 8.6%
  • N - No

Votes: 67 44.4%
  • S - No

Votes: 12 7.9%
  • T - No

Votes: 37 24.5%
  • F - No

Votes: 43 28.5%
  • P - No

Votes: 49 32.5%
  • J - No

Votes: 30 19.9%

• Total voters

kyuuei

Emperor/Dictator
MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
ENFP
Never have or will use illegal drugs. Interesting responses though!! A mere 7 E's said no?? These statistics are very awesome to look at, great thread.

naymornings

MBTI Type
ENTP
INTP likes the drug use ehhh?

I would be interested to know more on what kind of drugs as most often used by personality type.
I would guess NTP's would like hallucinogens - either shrooms, dmt like mentioned, peyote, ayahuasca, etc.
Maybe that is just me though... I would think willingness to experiment would play a huge role in this, as the question said, "have you at one time."
i would definitely guess F types liking pills more - ecstasy especially.
hmm.

redacted

the real question is, which drug is most APPEALING to which type. not which type is most likely to do which drug.

*NTP - DMT (Dimethyltryptamine) would probably be at the top of the list for "most appealing". DMT is by far the most dissociative hallucinogen. It's the only drug that can completely take you out of reality.

ESFJ - Ecstasy. It's a touchy feely drug. ESF's would love it. NT's have higher things on their priority list.

It is true that all the NTPs I know have been kinda into hallucinogens, but none of them as much as I. The only other person I know that's tried DMT (besides myself) is an ENTJ. I've had a few conversations with random hallucinogen junkies around berkeley (duh) and they actually seem much more NF than NT. The people that take it compulsively are searching for MEANING.

According to the results so far the trait most correlated with drug use is extraversion, while the trait least correlated with drug use is feeling. The type most likely to experiment with drugs is ESTP, while the type least likely is INFJ.

Least likely? Funny (I know these results don't really say much anyway...)

I'm the biggest druggie I know (most of it took place in my first two years of college); the only big name drugs I haven't tried are crack and mescaline (although, I would definitely do mescaline if it was around...)

The_Liquid_Laser

Glowy Goopy Goodness
MBTI Type
ENTP
Least likely? Funny (I know these results don't really say much anyway...)

I'm the biggest druggie I know (most of it took place in my first two years of college); the only big name drugs I haven't tried are crack and mescaline (although, I would definitely do mescaline if it was around...)

When hearing statistics one must always keep in mind that what is true for a group is not necessarily true for a given individual in that group.

Of course you are right that we need some more E types and (especially) S types to answer before we can draw any broad conclusion. I personally am comfortable concluding for now that F types are the least likely to experiment with drugs, since a fairly good amount of F's have responded, although I recognize this poll is not conducted scientifically.

Mole

Permabanned
Alcohol is the poor man's mysticism.

And illegal drugs, we were told, were the key to the inner life, and even to spirituality.

But there is a sucker born every minute. And no end to the gullible.

Even the Ancient Romans said, "The vulgar love to be deceived - deceived let them be".

And it is true twenty-three hundred years ago as it is today.

Drugs are dirt cheap - for the cheap and the vulgar and the gullible - just as MBTI is for the gullible.

So it is no surprise to find the correlation between drugs and MBTI, as they serve the same purpose.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Alcohol is the poor man's mysticism.

And illegal drugs, we were told, were the key to the inner life, and even to spirituality.

But there is a sucker born every minute. And no end to the gullible.

Even the Ancient Romans said, "The vulgar love to be deceived - deceived let them be".

And it is true twenty-three hundred years ago as it is today.

Drugs are dirt cheap - for the cheap and the vulgar and the gullible - just as MBTI is for the gullible.

So it is no surprise to find the correlation between drugs and MBTI, as they serve the same purpose.

I agree, mostly. (MBTI does significantly less harm)

MBTI Type
INxJ
I drink occasionally. Never smoked a cigarette or tried any drugs.

Bella

MBTI Type
ISTJ
So I am curious.

If you see drugs and MBTI as qualitatively the same, why do you follow MBTI?

Because I'm as pathetic as the next needy person. ;)

( I see them as being the same in the sense that both might be pursued to fill a void, but like I said, MBTI doesn't do the damage drugs do, and therefore is at least a step up. IMHO.)

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Because I'm as pathetic as the next needy person. ;)

( I see them as being the same in the sense that both might be pursued to fill a void, but like I said, MBTI doesn't do the damage drugs do, and therefore is at least a step up. IMHO.)

Wow, I just read this. You are really an outstanding SJ.

I hope you will thrive for security in your life, as I hope for everyone, because it is needed. And I hope you will never forget about the void

Yazoo

MBTI Type
ENTP
MBTI and Drugs

Hello there!:hi:

I'm not really much of a drug user, but I have experimented with recreational drugs, namely Ecstasy and Marijuana. Ecstasy mainly because I had always been fascinated with how it effects mood and perspective, and curiosity regarding euphoria and its supposed positive psychological effects - and each time I have had it, I've loved it (but wouldn't do it regularly). Marijuana because pretty much everyone does it. I enjoy it very occasionally, but the fact that it is demotivating and doesn't really do all that much kinda makes me rather blah about it.

The whole subject of recreational substances and how they effect the human brain fascinates me, and this would probably be behind any personal experimentation rather than to simply get trashed.

I wonder if one MBTI type is more likely to experiment with drugs than others, and for what reasons? Or is an N more likely than an S? Or is it an extrovert thing rather than introvert?

Opinions?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Moved from NT Rationale.

SPs are the usual answer.

Oh and I forgot:

INTPs: "Most frequent among college students referred for drug and alcohol violations. Source: MBTI Manual, 1998"

Last edited:

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
I think everyone is just as susceptible to get into drugs as the person next to them, but being exposed to drugs as a child or watching your parents go through the struggle would add to the likelihood of you getting into the habit.

Introverts like drugs, it lets them separate themselves from the world
Extroverts like drugs, they can be used in social situations to have all achieve the same likeness of mind (hence why people drink at parties)
Intuitives like drugs, because their likelihood to try new things gets them to make the first step, and you never know if they'll ever step back
Sensors like drugs, because they affect your senses
Thinkers like drugs, I think moreso uppers than downers because they speed you up, letting you think twice as fast
Feelers like drugs, because they feel good.
Perceivers like drugs, because they change your view on the world. its different and its new to those who have never tried it.
Judgers like drugs, because self-perceived "responsible" drugging allows you to feel like a kid and be an adult at the same time

Clownmaster

EvanTheClown (ETC)
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Oh and I forgot:

INTPs: "Most frequent among college students referred for drug and alcohol violations. Source: MBTI Manual, 1998"

Most frequent to get caught for drug and alcohol violations. I dont think it accurately represents the types using them.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Most frequent to get caught for drug and alcohol violations. I dont think it accurately represents the types using them.

I read it as "most likely to let use get out of control in college".

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP

Yeah, I got three of those drug/alcohol referral things. I just wasn't cautious enough. I'm not sure if INTPs are anymore careless then other types when it comes to this, but I was.

My first violation was when I was smoking weed with people in a dorm right above an RA, with the windows open. My ENTJ friend got spooked and left 5 minutes before campus police came in.

FDG

pathwise dependent
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w8
I don't really do drugs much. I've gotten drunk once or twice, but that's all.

Yazoo

MBTI Type
ENTP
Moved from NT Rationale.

SPs are the usual answer.

Oh and I forgot:

An INTP friend of mine (well, friend may be too strong a term for this guy...), who is a phenomenally talented mathematician got himself into llot of trouble at uni for being an abusive drunk most of the time. He even hit a policeman and ended up spending the night in the cells. I think he wants to actually feel something so much so turns to drink and aggression to vent his frustration. I should mention that he's probably borderline Asperger's, though.

My first violation was when I was smoking weed with people in a dorm right above an RA, with the windows open. My ENTJ friend got spooked and left 5 minutes before campus police came in.

Hehehehe - you can always count on us ENTJS :doh:

Noel

MBTI Type
INFP
Let me preface my response with like you, aj, I too wish an Emporium existed over here like at INTPc. I enjoy reading intp's reactions to other substances as well as reading about other people's experiences on erowid.

I usually have a beer a day and avoid drinking if I'm not in a pleasant mood. A fine beer is like a fine wine.

I smoke weed probably every three to four months. I do not enjoy smoking around others except if they're my core friends (Best friend & my girlfriend). Then for the most part, we go to our prospective computers to listen to music. On the occassion, it's certainly made me feel randy. I don't like to smoke it often nor become psychological dependent on it. Same goes for alcohol regarding the psychological dependency. Also, I feel as if I were to consistently smoke it, its esoteric inducing effect upon me would fade. Naturally, I do not want to lose that. Of course, your mileage may vary.

I tried mushrooms two years ago and had a life altering experience. For the first time in my life, I stared at the abyss for so long that it stared back at me. I triumphed over it by affirming my life as a creator of value. I would like to try them again in the near future.

Other drugs that hold an interest for me are mainly Peyote under the right circumstances and saliva. I'm not a fan of synthetic drugs.