• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Why no type is an insult.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I have to agree with OP. In real life, I know an INTJ who ruined his life by playing video-games all day and never had a job. He's 35 years old right now. The other INTP I know reads all day in the library and he is middle-aged and never had a job. Meanwhile, I know an ESFP with a PHD in psychology and an ESFJ with masters in liberal arts. Not every single INTJ and INTP is a super competent scientist.

And I'm an ISFJ who just started a job doing SCIENCE in a LABORATORY! Me! An SFJ! Take that, INTxs! :newwink:

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
And I'm an ISFJ who just started a job doing SCIENCE in a LABORATORY! Me! An SFJ! Take that, INTxs! :newwink:

That makes me feel better that you can get a job that s not related to your major. I have always known that, but I guess I didn't truly believe it.

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
That makes me feel better that you can get a job that s not related to your major. I have always known that, but I guess I didn't truly believe it.

My job only cared that I had a BA. They didn't even care that it wasn't (hard) science related. I think most employers are willing to train the right candidate.

...Oh yeah, and regardless of type. :p

There are biases in the MBTI community, the most notorious being the sensor/intuitive divide where usually it's the newbie intuitive supremacists who come on board just to spite sensors online. But I also think that people deep down want to be regarded as special, generally because intuitives are supposedly rarer as a whole, so anyone questioning an N's type and labeling them as a sensor is sort of saying between the lines your not the unique snowflake you think you are. Some people may think of it as an insult, I guess. I would be lying to say I've never been there myself, but I know better now.

In the end it doesn't matter what your type is because it doesn't change you as a person. All that matters is what you put towards your own life and maybe MBTI can be a reference point, but don't make it the be-all and end-all. Don't limit yourself because the type descriptions say you can't. Do what you need to do to better yourself in order to thrive as a person.

notmyapples

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
There are biases in the MBTI community, the most notorious being the sensor/intuitive divide where usually it's the newbie intuitive supremacists who come on board just to spite sensors online. But I also think that people deep down want to be regarded as special, generally because intuitives are supposedly rarer as a whole, so anyone questioning an N's type and labeling them as a sensor is sort of saying between the lines your not the unique snowflake you think you are. Some people may think of it as an insult, I guess. I would be lying to say I've never been there myself, but I know better now.

In the end it doesn't matter what your type is because it doesn't change you as a person. All that matters is what you put towards your own life and maybe MBTI can be a reference point, but don't make it the be-all and end-all. Don't limit yourself because the type descriptions say you can't. Do what you need to do to better yourself in order to thrive as a person.

This is very accurate. I had a sensor friend who had typed herself as her intuitive counterpart and everyone around her knew it wasn't correct, but nobody said anything for awhile until she stumbled across the possibility herself and came to us. She proceeded to have a full breakdown when she found out. Granted, this was not someone as educated with functions and went totally off the personality profiles, but it's still a problem. Google 'are intuitives better/smarter than sensors' and a dozen articles come up enforcing this fact. It's not easy for sensors wanting to learn about MBTI, and it's not easy for intuitives to avoid the classic superiority complex.

It's important to remember that MBTI doesn't add something to you or change who you are, it's simply an outline trying to explain behaviors. If you were happy with yourself before you discovered MBTI, keep being happy with yourself because you haven't changed. MBTI doesn't decide what you can do with your life. Just because you lack Se doesn't mean you can't break into a physical profession, just because you lack Ni doesn't mean you can't write a bomb mystery book.

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Of course type really doesn't directly impact what your talents, interests, and occupations will be. I have an ESFJ friend who loves math and an ISFJ friend who hates it and is completely stressed out by it. Same functions (albeit different order).
The ESFJ friend is great at science and math. She probably could use her skills in a lab quite well. She's using her skills towards physical therapy, which is really an outstanding fit for her. You can tell how much she loves putting her knowledge to use in order to help people. I've known her for many years, and I was actually surprised she didn't decide to go into early childhood education. She adores little kids, and is quite good with them (unlike me who thinks "What am I supposed to do with this small human? I want to play with him/her, but how am I supposed to approach the kid or discipline the kid if needed when I'm not the parent?")
Though I feel like some kind of physical/occupational/recreational therapy or medical career is a career that often appeals to Fe.
My ESFJ mom on the other hand utilizes her Fe in a business sense. She's great at figuring out what makes people tick, and is brilliant with marketing. She wishes she had pursued a major instead of a minor in marketing.
I also have a friend who is likely an ESTP who is pursuing a career in medical lab work. And an ENTP friend who is an EMT and nurse. It's not a stereotypical fit for an NT, but you can tell how passionate she is about it. She also has a very Ne method of story-telling, which I absolutely adore
Type and profession are all over the map.
And S types are just as capable of being brilliant as N types. I don't know where that misconception comes from, but there are multiple intelligences. If N's are coming out the highest on IQ tests, it's probably because IQ tests are written by and tailored to N types (particularly INTxs who seem to statistically score the highest on those tests).

Tonitrum

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
ESFJ Fe used as an insult? I never really seen that happening.

I commonly seen how Fi typing is used as an insult to label someone as a crybaby, whose incapabale of logical thought, objectivity and problem solving, and a way to silence others who have different take/opinion on things because of the whole Fi dom = special snowflake who goes against the common grain thing.

I didnt identify thus with Fi doms because of said stereotypies, but then again It's the toxic stereotypes, and I know that Fi doms arent automaticaly like this.