• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Thoughts on typism?

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I quit MBTI because I got tired of people making assumptions about me based on type. Especially as an ISFJ.

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Never seen it. Even if it's real, I doubt it's a problem for someone who is confident and mature.

Kanra Jest

Av'ent'Gar'de ~
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's like a broad stroke. It holds a lot of importance. Accuracy. But it's stereotyped. Which means it is going to be a bit too ridged and not account for the complexity of the mind. It's why I think enneagram is far better, because of how concise it is and goes into the details that mbti can't. Mbti is more like a general overlay. But I definitely don't think it's all in all inaccurate. It's definitely on to something but other systems like enneagram and even instinct still do a better job in some ways. But if anything mbti can help understand what the mind focuses on. .

But if I take, say, a cognitive functions test my answers ends up not so clear cut. Ti, Ne, Ni, Si, Fi all end up high functions which isn't realistic. . . I have a theory regarding that though.

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's why I think enneagram is far better, because of how concise it is and goes into the details that mbti can't. Mbti is more like a general overlay. But I definitely don't think it's all in all inaccurate. It's definitely on to something but other systems like enneagram and even instinct still do a better job in some ways.

I agree, I actually prefer Enneagram to MBTI myself. Feel like it describes me better.

But if I take, say, a cognitive functions test my answers ends up not so clear cut. Ti, Ne, Ni, Si, Fi all end up high functions which isn't realistic. . . I have a theory regarding that though.

I'd be interested to hear your theory.

It's an overview of a person's cognitive functions but gives you no indication of personal experiences, intelligence level, or possible disorders that also shape an individual. It's enough to make some very general assumptions about someone. To use it as anything more than a primer for personality type is irresponsible. I can say orange juice and bleach are both liquids and both come in plastic containers but to assume both are safe to ingest would be folly.

Mole

Permabanned
Typism and Reification

Typism is a form of reification. Typism is for those who experience themselves as things rather than feeling persons.

To reify is to turn a feeling person into a thing, it has a long history. When feeling becomes too painful to bear, we turn ourselves into things. And we usually do this en masse with an ideology. It is very seductive, it relieves psychological pain, boosts our ego, and gives us a group to belong to.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
Typism is a form of reification. Typism is for those who experience themselves as things rather than feeling persons.

To reify is to turn a feeling person into a thing, it has a long history. When feeling becomes to painful to bear, we turn ourselves into things. And we usually do this en masse with an ideology. It is very seductive, it relieves psychological pain, boosts our ego, and gives us a group to belong to.

Ey aussie:

Zeego

Mind Wanderer
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

To reify is to turn a feeling person into a thing, it has a long history. When feeling becomes too painful to bear, we turn ourselves into things. And we usually do this en masse with an ideology. It is very seductive, it relieves psychological pain, boosts our ego, and gives us a group to belong to.

It seems like you're talking about self-typism, but what about when one person is typist against another person?

-Outsider-

Milkwalker
Never seen it. Even if it's real, I doubt it's a problem for someone who is confident and mature.

Oh silly me! I forgot that if you say something to someone and the other person is offended, it's obviously their fault for not being "confident and mature" enough! If I call someone an asshole, it's their fault for being offended, not me for calling people names! Why don't we just abolish rules about civility altogether on this forum? If people get hurt, it's obviously their own fault! Verbal bullying and prejudices don't exist! It's everyone else's fault for being offended when I call them retarded fuckmonkeys or saying things like "all Indian people smell bad!"

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
-Outsider- said:
If I call someone an asshole, it's their fault for being offended, not me for calling people names! Why don't we just abolish rules about civility altogether on this forum?

Rudeness and incivility is not necessarily typism.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q

-Outsider-

Milkwalker
Rudeness and incivility is not necessarily typism.

"If you can't take a little bloody nose, maybe you ought to go back home and crawl under your bed. It's not safe out here. It's wonderous, with treasures to satiate desires both subtle and gross... but it's not for the timid." Q

If someone hits you in the face you call the cops because they just assaulted you...

Well, unless it's your fault for inciting the incident.

No comment on the point about prejudices, eh?

Tellenbach

in dreamland
MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
-Outsider- said:
If someone hits you in the face you call the cops because they just assaulted you...

It'd depend on who the assailant is and the force of the strike.

No comment on the point about prejudices, eh?

Holding prejudices is probably an evolutionary adaptation that lets people make less dangerous decisions when there isn't enough information. In modern society, this can often result in hurt feelings and unjust behavior. The solution is to raise good, moral children with critical thinking skills.

I think it was Al Franken who said "It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world." He's right.

-Outsider-

Milkwalker
Holding prejudices is probably an evolutionary adaptation that lets people make less dangerous decisions when there isn't enough information. In modern society, this can often result in hurt feelings and unjust behavior. The solution is to raise good, moral children with critical thinking skills.

I think it was Al Franken who said "It's easier to put on slippers than to carpet the whole world." He's right.

Thank you for giving me your philosophy and a random quote, as well as avoiding the main topic.

Toodleooo!

Mole

Permabanned
It seems like you're talking about self-typism, but what about when one person is typist against another person?

If we want to measure our personality, we go to a qualified Psychometrician, who will apply a valid and reliable test and interpret the results, pointing out the limitations of the test.

If we are in psychological pain, we will regress to fantasy, typically we regress to the fantasy of astrology, and sometimes we regress to the fantasy of mbti.

When we regress by ourselves, it is less convincing, so we seek to regress with others, who are equally in psychological pain and seeking relief in fantasy.

Merced

Talk to me.
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
28?
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I mean, I despise e9s but they are lesser beings so it's okay. Not like they'll stop me, they're too scared and passive.

My serious answer is that typism is never okay and usually people who partake in it don't have a strong enough concept of whatever typing system they are basing it off of.