• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Your self-perception vs the way you are perceived by others?

Krys

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I think about this waaay too much. I have resting bitch face and I'm not the most expressive person out there tonally or physically so I am constantly asking myself whether i'm coming off as aloof or cold.

rav3n

People tend to think better or worse of me than my perception of self. More often than not, they misconstrue intent.

Sacrophagus

Mastermind Fieldmarshal
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
We should also make the subtle difference between the way you want to perceive yourself VS the way you actually are.
Otherwise, If you're counting on people's perception, then you have to know that they don't look at you from the same prism. Everyone looks at you from a prism of his own beliefs, biases, the way they think perceive themselves, the nature of your relationship, and overall, they look at you from the lens of their own reality.

Much like someone who will think of you as arrogant because they lack self-esteem and audacity, have an inferiority complex, and someone else who loves and appreciates life and people, and perceives you as confident, a go-getter... Etc.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I don't get a lot of feedback for some reason... but there are some things I noticed...

.) I always thought because I tend to express my emotions a lot and really have enough of them, people could read my emotions like a book but it's quite the opposite! People almost always mix me just being thoughtful with being angry, tired with being serious, relaxed with aloof and much much more. So yes, I don't seem to be easy to read at all :shock:

.) Some people love to give me the feeling I'm stupid, quite sure this isn't about me though... it's a misunderstanding 90 percent of the time. Damn it low Si. I find it hard to put my thoughts into words sometimes and people totally misunderstand me because of that. Working on that!

.) I often get the feedback I'm very strict, critical and even uptight... but no... in these cases I just show that I have some standards :blush: Nothing wrong with that :shrug:

Huh? Let me see.

Me happy People He's angry

Me indifferent People He's arrogant

Me amused People He's serious

Me angry People Damn he's angry

Well 1 out of 4's one more than zero

I never get super excited about something. Well at least not to a level my friends are pleased with. My natural face sets in a kind of scowl. It's just my thinking face.

Sil

This is a test.
The consistent piece of feedback I've received is that I'm far nicer and more likeable than I perceive myself to be.

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
In person, people probably see me as much more carefree and laid-back than I actually am. Truthfully, I'm much more angsty and gloomy than people tend to realize, despite my wisecracks and personable demeanor. Also, I've recently been told that I can come off as a know-it-all and superior, when in actuality I greatly doubt my own intelligence and capacity for such, and often avoid certain discussions because terrified that I don't know quite as much as others do about a certain topic and that I'll be called out on this.

Oftentimes in person people seek me out as a confidant and seek advice from me, and all I can think is "...why would you possibly care what I think?"

ugghh

MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
3w2
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I have asked my friends and family about this, too. I originally scored INTJ, and my parents both disagreed with the idea of me being an introvert.
My friends and bf thought I fit the INTJ description quite well, and I have to shake my head at how much they overestimate how much I plan ahead. And my ability to make a decision and stick with it. Or to finish projects, lol. Tbh I was confused about my thinking function for a long time, I have many Te-ish ideals (e.g. utilitarianism, efficiency) so it took me a while to figure out that I'm not a Te-user.

My bf thinks I'm very assertive, which I mostly disagree with. I can sometimes be, but that's the exception to the rule rather than the rule.
I think people often see me as much more principled and opinionated than I really am. I am good at reading people and making them think that I agree with them, or debating them if I'm in that mood... neither of which means that I necessarily gaf.

I'm often told that I'm very convincing and seem competent (even when I'm making stuff up on the spot), which probably makes people think that I've spent a lot of time thinking about the things I talk about. I often haven't :)

LucieCat

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
My friends who know about MBTI all agree that ENFP fits me the best. My parents are not very knowledgeable or into MBTI, but if they had to pick a type I'm pretty sure they'd both pin me as an INFP. They both see me as an introverted person overall. Maybe that's because my social stamina and tendencies are more similar to that of my ISTP dad who is quite introverted and will sometimes become mentally distressed if around too many people in a small area than my ESFJ mom who is extremely extroverted and an extremely sociable person.

everdream

MBTI Type
INFJ
I never told anyone I know irl about MBTI or INFJ, so I'm not sure about the feedback. But from what I gathered people's opinions about me tend to differ from person to person (it's only reasonable as I've been a chameleon all my life). Some people don't believe I'm an introvert of 'shy', some people think I am the most quiet and reserved person ever, some think I'm really nice and some think I'm really cold. Most sensors I met think I'm similar to them and that I'm a regular traditional and conventional person. From personal experience, the type who came closest to know who I really am have been surprisingly......INFPs. :) they're very observant I give them that. :D