• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

IxTP - Unable to identify whether I am N or S

Shiintro

Hey,
I've taken numerous tests online, looked at the personalities and behaviours of people of certain types and read through profiles on the types but I can"t seem to reach a conclusion as to whether I'm ISTP or INTP. I always test as either one or the other, and both seem to fit me and not fit me equally. I'm pretty certain about the IxTP part but the S or N has me stumped.
INTP appears to fit pretty well in almost every way except for the fact that I am not blind to my surroundings and I enjoy physical activity and experiencing things myself. I love the outdoors and love high energy, skill based individual sports like swimming, climbing and my passion, horse riding (though the individual aspect of that is debatable). I enjoy pushing myself, I enjoy the rush of adrenaline and I like to explore. (I have a reputation for wandering off if something catches my interest) I'm not satisfied with just talking about or gathering second hand information, I like to see and experience things for myself (this has a lot to do with my natural cynicism too though.). I also enjoy video games, tech and computers, and have a keen interest in engineering and science though Im an expert on none of those things. I'd like to think Im curious, resourceful, creative and inventive. I'm a creative problem solver, I like to design solutions to problems, whether they be things I view as social issues or more concrete things like flaws in the design of physical things. Im studying Architecture which requires me to be acutely aware of my surroundings and real world applications of my ideas but also requires that I explore opportunities to bring theory to life. I need to be able to imagine things that are theoretical and that do not exist and might never exist in the context of real things like social reception, site, physics, aesthetic, pratical application, cost etc.
I'm not all that wacky or quirky with the way I dress, I like strong but subdued clothes that don't attract too much attention. I don't follow trends but I don't purposefully dress to go against it either. Clothes aren't really a form of expression for me (obviously the way someone dresses says something about someone, but I don't do in consciously). I need my clothes to be comfortable, practical and well made. I don't have a lot of clothes, I've got two pairs of shoes, and don't really care for brandnames but I like high quality stuff. Value is important to me in everything I buy, and I put research into any large purchase I do make. (I think this is probably symptomatic of over thinking things in addition to being kind of stingy. Its not that i admire money or aspire to have a lot of it, greed is the root of most of the world's stupidity after all but I'm a student and i recognise I still need it to get by.)
I've been told that I am emotionally distant, and I tend to either repress or try to explain away the things I feel because they can cloud my judgement or cause me to act irrationally. I don't know why or where it originate from either but I always see it as a weakness in myself or as being stupid even though I know it's just part of being human. I don't really let other people in and try to handle things on my own, I find this to be the case even when I know someone very well. I'm not shy but I'm not exactly social either. I won't reach out to people unless I have a reason to. I'm kind of cold and pragmatic but polite and friendly when it comes to people I don't really know or don't really want to know. I tend to be suspicious and reluctant to trust people but I enjoy hearing peoples stories and their sides of an argument, but I will analyse every inch of what they say and take it all with a grain of salt. The little voice in my head likes to point out patterns and inconsistencies in everything, including people.
Everything has to have a point or a reason I see as valid for me to enjoy it, even things like songs or movies. (That reason can be for fun or for experimentation but still, a valid reason.) I cam identify that someone else might like it or agree with it and the potential reasons they might but I wont think any better of it. Ill accept something once there is a solid argument and solid evidence to back it up, if it is proven to be the best and most beneficial way possible in that context. In this way I am open minded but skeptical. I love to theorise and explore crazy ideas but they are rarely just random thoughts, my ideas always start somewhere definite and then start branching off. (Ive visualised it as sort of like a family tree, branching out infinitely until I forget where I started). I also like to play devils advocate and push ideas that may be unpopular but that I believe in. I have a strong sense of justice but its based on my own morals rather than actual law and societal norms and what is generally accepted (of course these things will influence me subconsciously, no man is an island and all that, but I will press ideas that go against that if those laws or societal norms stop making logical sense to me or do not seem to have a beneficial path for the future.) I'm also atheist if that makes any difference.
I get excited by ideas and possibilities but then quickly find that I rationalise away that excitement. I follow through with projects (though I like to do this in my own time. I abhor deadlines) and tend to have a one track mind. I can focus intensely for hours but simple things can break my concentration and once its broken i find it hard to get it back. I'm easily bored unless I'm interested or passionate about something, then I can be completely devoted.
I tend to jump to a decision, but then start picking it part and viewing it from the other side. I'll also do things sometimes just to see where it goes if I think something could be gained from it.

This is a goddamn essay, so sorry about that but if you managed to read through all this bull and still need more information I've got plenty.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
I'd vote INTP.

You really don't have to be anything very close to "blind" to be an N. Honest. Nor is a typical N unlikely to enjoy any number of activities that involve actual interaction with the physical world.

And you should try not to be misled by people who overemphasize the so-called "cognitive functions" at the expense of the dichotomies, and who may try to persuade you that INTPs are more like ISTPs than they are like any of the other types — onnaccounta INTPs and ISTPs are both Ti-doms, man.

Here on Planet Reality, the fact is that the four dichotomies, not the functions, are the real, underlying (and substantially genetic) components of your MBTI type — and of the four dichotomies, S/N is the one that tends to make the biggest difference. Myers and Keirsey had different perspectives on a number of things, but they saw eye-to-eye on that, and I'm also inclined to agree. INTPs have more in common with ENTPs, INFPs and INTJs than they do with ISTPs.

If you're interested, you can find quite a lot of S/N input from me in this post. As you'll see if you look at the stats in the third spoiler in that post, the simple fact that you're at an MBTI-themed forum, starting a thread about your type, is worth a point or two (or maybe even three!) on the N side of the ledger.

That linked post is part of a 10-post series with sections on each MBTI dimension — and this post has profile roundups for all 16 types.

And if you're interested in more discussion of the dichotomies-vs.-functions issue, you can find quite a bit of that in this post and the posts it links to.

All

I think you are more likely to be INTP.
I'm INTP but with infp tendencies, and I think it's normal.
But you can try to talk to intp or istp in real life or online, such as Facebook groups, to see which one you identify with more.

Shiintro

Thanks for the replies. It's helpful to get a view on this from people more knowledgeable about the intricacies of MBTi typing. I was pretty sure of the fact I was INTP myself until I started looking further into the archetypical behaviours and found I didn't really fit a lot of them. But after writing this I thought about it more, and thought more about why I was drawn to the things I am drawn to and figured that yeah, INTP is probably the best fit.
Thanks for the help!

Muthukumaran

MBTI Type
IxTP
Its like i found my personality Doppelganger!!
All the stuff you told is very precise in mine...

:happy2:

Non_xsense

MBTI Type
Fool
I Think you are an istp with high Ni .
I don't sense any Ne , Alot of Ni tho.

wildmoon

MBTI Type
NTP
Enneagram
I agree that you seem like an ISTP with very high Ni. The high Ni paired with Ti could definitely make you lean towards INTP.
The one line that strikes me as being pure Se, and not very INTPish, is when you said that you enjoy pushing yourself and you enjoy the rush of adrenaline. I think an INTP can get an occasional kick out of such things but probably wouldn't rank them high on the list of things they enjoy. High Se users are all about that adrenaline life, though.