• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[NT] sheldon cooper mbti type?

chado

MBTI Type
infp
ok so there are three types which always comes up with typing sheldon cooper from the big bang theory intj,istj and intp now could you help me pin point exatcly which type he is...
my theory is hes an intj with a high thinking preference and autism
autism is also found most common amungst intjs.
one: most people say hes an istj,because he takes everything litteraly loves,traditional rituals ect...and cant understand sarcasm ect ect,and how he likes to sit on that spot of the couch
but i think he is intuitive and has a very deep intuitive grasp on situations,but him taking things litetraly is basicaly his autism mixed with his high thinking preference,otherwise sheldon has some of the deepest insights into certain situations,hes also very sedchuled,and loves routine,and follows timestables,a definite j ,i think him loving that corner of the couch doesnt come from introverted sensing but from introverted intuition's imaginitiveness,hes very imaginitive and loves playing roles and games in his head,and has created this game like'best seat' combined with his ocd loves that seat?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He's the quintessential INTP. Done

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's the quintessential INTP. Done

He's kind of inconsiderate though and selfish. I think INTP's are much more thoughtful of other people. I do see his tedious thought process as Ti though. Since he's a fictional character, I'd say he's a combination of INTP tediousness and INTJ selfishness and obliviousness. Not that INTJ's are really so oblivious. They can be though.

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oh I'm totally torn between INTP and INTJ with him ... I would lean more towards INTP because he seems less success and power driven, and more into just wanting to do his own wacky thing.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He's kind of inconsiderate though and selfish. I think INTP's are much more thoughtful of other people. I do see his tedious thought process as Ti though. Since he's a fictional character, I'd say he's a combination of INTP tediousness and INTJ selfishness and obliviousness. Not that INTJ's are really so oblivious. They can be though.

He display inferior Fe quite well. Yeah he's not the healthiest depiction. I can see how someone could see him as an INTJ yet his interests are far expansive and theoretical which is much more in the realm of Ti than Te. Kooky ideas makes his aux Ne. And tert Si makes him quite well versed in history.

He wasn't that hard to type.

I met more assholes who were INTP than INTJ tbh but there's good to be found in both types for sure

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
His NEED for routine, AVERSION to change, empirical way of looking at the world seems to indicate IXTJ. Although INTPs are very logic-based, fact-based, there is a certain exploratory playfulness about them. Sheldon is just way too rigid.

One can argue that his immalleable certitude is indicative of childlike, tertiary Fi.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
First we have to type him with the understanding that most sitcom characters are the extreme of whatever intended archetype/stereotype was written.

Sheldon's most likely type is either ISTJ, INTJ, INTP. Possibly add a dash of autism spectrum disorder. He seems remarkably closed off to new possibilities--I have a hard time imagining even the most stubborn INTP being so closed-minded, but then they can be insanely stubborn especially in unhealthy states. Remember the episode where Raj suggests they watch the Star Wars films in Machete Order? Sheldon will hear nothing of it and proceeds to insult Raj's intelligence, when really, the only good reason to immediately shit on Raj's idea is a rigid, unquestioning adherence to the "right," intended way to watch the series--I see more IxTJ adherence to Te in those sort of Sheldon moments. Otherwise, Raj makes a good case for Machete Order as a way to enjoy the (mostly) complete narrative whilst treating the prequels as extended flashbacks and preventing 'spoilers.' Assuming he were a healthy INTP, I'd expect him to at least consider that method and think on it for a few seconds, perhaps asking questions and even going into NTP think-aloud mode to weigh the options.

He also seems to honor people's stations in life a lot more than I expect with NTPs, who will happily talk string theory with janitors if the janitors are up to it. For instance, Sheldon belittling the judge at traffic court for only being a traffic court judge. Or the episode where the Russian janitor is on his quiz show team and proves to be super intelligent. Sheldon doesn't care, he just wants him to be a stupid immigrant janitor and keep his moth shut. I'm not saying IxTJs wouldn;t talk string theory with janitors, but I'd expect them to be a lot more aware and conscious of the janitors' stations in life, and that is very true to Sheldon's characterization. Te over Ti, stronger tendency to recognize one's credentials and expertise before considering their ideas.

Honestly, it really depends on the season and episode too. Early Sheldon is very much IxTJ.

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Also, the lengthy roommate agreement seems like the MOST J-ish thing ever.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like how this thread has potential to be become a discussion over whether NTPs or ITJs are the bigger assholes. :)

Tilt

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
First we have to type him with the understanding that most sitcom characters are the extreme of whatever intended archetype/stereotype was written.

Sheldon's most likely type is either ISTJ, INTJ, INTP. Possibly add a dash of autism spectrum disorder. He seems remarkably closed off to new possibilities--I have a hard time imagining even the most stubborn INTP being so closed-minded, but then they can be insanely stubborn especially in unhealthy states. Remember the episode where Raj suggests they watch the Star Wars films in Machete Order? Sheldon will hear nothing of it and proceeds to insult Raj's intelligence, when really, the only good reason to immediately shit on Raj's idea is a rigid, unquestioning adherence to the "right," intended way to watch the series--I see more IxTJ adherence to Te in those sort of Sheldon moments. Otherwise, Raj makes a good case for Machete Order as a way to enjoy the (mostly) complete narrative whilst treating the prequels as extended flashbacks and preventing 'spoilers.' Assuming he were a healthy INTP, I'd expect him to at least consider that method and think on it for a few seconds, perhaps asking questions and even going into NTP think-aloud mode to weigh the options.

Yes. There have been very instances of him looking at possibilities outside of himself... Inefficient brainstorming is immediately dismissed because he already has a clear perception of how he wants things done. PiTeFi

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He seems too structured and disciplined to be an INTP. He has a unique, but rigid routine for his daily life and everything is exactly in its place.

I always thought he was spot on INTJ even with his sudden flashes of intuition and structured, but unusual approach to life.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
BTW I looked into it and machete order is actually quite awesome. It not only prevents the spoilers but adds more tension and sense of motivation to the characters of Obi-Wan, Yoda and Palpatine--normal order just makes it all seem preordained and saps any sense of struggle. Episode 1 can be skipped completely, or if you're a completist, you can watch it after the fact and treat it like an origins film and not a necessary piece of the entire saga. I'd suggest including 1 in machete order but getting a copy of the Phantom Edit instead of the theatrical release, thereby minimizing farting rasta Gunguns and 10 year olds who say "yippee," because apparently these movies are now written by the same person who wrote Song of the South and Leave it to Beaver dialogue, although it makes sense because Lucas came of age in the 50s and this is the guy who devoted an entire film (american grafitti) to adolescents of that era.

Another cool way to see the movies would be to frame them with the original trilogy (like machete order does) but edit the "flashbacks" from II and III and distribute them throughout the original trilogy at key points for added effect, sort of like a lot of modern TV shows have been doing. Jarring shifts between the shiny world of the prequels and the gritty, more intimate original trilogy world? Easy, just think of them as flashbacks rather than verbatim accounts, therefore they represent a rosier, shinier, more idealized past and not necessarilly EXACTLY what happened--just the elders' memoery of what happened. I love finding "in-universe" explanations for bad continuity and writing. :) I have similar ways of explaining lack of continuity in the Mad max films

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Not an intp, he is definitely iXtj...

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'd vote INTP with an extremely strong Ti-Si loop. His need for detail is...absurd - especially on the home front. It would fit perfectly with the relief function, as such, it being his downtime at home after his work at the university. And it's always in service of his Ti. The time he came up with that fabricated lie for Leonard, where he went as far as to get a lock of hair from a orangutang to prove a fake romance...the follow up that his Ti requires to close all possible loopholes, without taking into a account Penny's personality is..insane.

Meanwhile, the fact that they early on establish that if you tell him it's 'a non negotiable social convention' (like the tea thing for those that need comforting) works like a charm on him, speaks to an inferior Fe, imho. And he can NeSi dramatise tragedies with the best of em. He sees the worst options, all in a myriad of disasters, frantically trying to cover every outrageous one. It's not an Ni-Se 'we're most certainly doomed in this way - thing', it's an 'Ne-Si omg, the sky can likely start falling in any number of ways' thing - as shown by his ridiculous emergency pack in his room, and his back-up emergency pack and his general paranoia on this stuff.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Ha! I was thinking of agent Cooper from Twin Peaks, but I still think Sheldon Cooper is a J, although much more possibly ISTJ than agent Cooper. Sheldon Cooper is classic Aspbergers.

Amargith

Hotel California
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4dw
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know, I could see ISTJ but...If you look at the way he uses his functions...the only one(s) that functions optimally and that is beyond developed is his Ti(Ne). There is no doubt that this man is a genius on NT. His work and calculations is what others put up him for - initially. Meanwhile, his capacity for agonising over useless details and doomsday scenarios and ridiculing, offending and generally dismissing others because he honestly doesn't know any better is equally legendary, albeit in the opposite direction, pointing towards a lack of development that's...well, been fed to that Ti instead, it would seem.

An actual ISTJ would be rigid in a more general way, I think, and on way less ridiculous issues than Sheldon is. However much he is preoccupied with details and survival, he actually utterly sucks at grasping concretely how to address those fears in a hands-on, productive way. And that is something that an ISTJ would never suck at, imho, even if they were that obsessive - at least they'd be *good* at being obsessive in that way :D

Meanwhile, he has no qualms or fears in knowing exactly what to do when Leonard almost blows up the apartment due to a miscalculation in his rocket fuel formula - coz that's what he rocks at. Action - consequence logic, aka Ti. He's the only one who doesn't panic and actually saves their necks. Considering how often he otherwise panics at dealing with mundane things...

I have to stick with INTP.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
He seems too structured and disciplined to be an INTP. He has a unique, but rigid routine for his daily life and everything is exactly in its place.

I always thought he was spot on INTJ even with his sudden flashes of intuition and structured, but unusual approach to life.

INFPs too can be highly structured and organized. I think the P and J factor is the most misunderstood thing that is part of MBTI Typology. This is cognitive science first and foremost not behavior science. Personality quizzes from tend to lean towards behavior than cognitive outlook. Not with MBTI. ;)

I see P and J better as how one conceptually prefers his or her outside world as, not necessarily as one does.

I think Sheldon is a very spontaneous person despite how well he has things done in his life. That truly determines his P outward orientation. I mean remember the time when he was inside the kids thing with all the colored balls and the bazinga part? That is P perfection right there.

Obfuscate

Permabanned
MBTI Type
iNtP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
intp's don't settle into one frame of mind the way he does... sheldon's world is black and white, while an intp lives in a sea of many greys (nothing is more intp than seeing things from many angles at once, without attaching to one view point)... he doesn't even entertain outside opinions, though at times he goes through the motions... he considers the world, and formulates it into a single possible version... no outside voice pierces his opinion, and causes him to reconsider... intp's thrive on entertaining new ideas, and are unafraid to engage in the ideas of others... the only thing that changes sheldon's mind is failure... (i shouldn't be speaking in absolutes, but i am uninterested in changing my entire post)...

with that said, [MENTION=5494]Amargith[/MENTION] can you explain your "Ti-Si loop" idea a bit more?...

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
My impression is INTJ 541 Sp/Sx. (plus a few mental disorders)

He seems as Ti user since 541 types are considered to be triple analitical. However his gut,Te-Se loop and So instinct are underdeveloped and things get blown out of proportions regularly.