• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] The Functions As Seen On The Forum

Dreamer

Potential is My Addiction
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
So I've been seeing a lot of back and forth between members, saying they show this function or that through their posts. To use myself as an example, I've been described overflowing with Ne or not showing any at all. There seems to be a lot of inconsistency with what people are seeing, or rather, how the same words, structure, style, etc. is interpreted. I wonder if we can find some common threads between various "Te" statements or writing for example, and extrapolate what "Te" writing is.

I realize everyone sees the functions portrayed through their own lens and perspective, so perhaps this thread is futile, but if possible, is there a way to bring together common examples of each function that supposedly exposes that function more than any other? Also, I realize the difficulty this may prove to be as functions are displayed through action, tone, anything else, that would be picked up speaking with each other in person. But as an online forum, and with many members interacting solely through text, I am sure we can seek out the functions somehow?

Anyone up for the challenge?

Se:
Si:
Ne:
Ni:
Te:
Ti:
Fe:
Fi:

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Se: I would say a focus on observable data (Your profile is very INTP looking for instance as opposed to say "you just vibe INTP").
Si: A focus on using past experience plus subjective sensory (Hey i love that picture it gives me a strong gothic feeling).
Ne: Engaging in jumpy banter and getting excited over new ideas (Hey did you know we have dinosaur farms today in the way of ostriches, by the way what if we based a water slide on the digestive system of an ostrich, hey what about selling ostrich feathers for money as they have riches in their name).
Ni: Subjective intuition which collects all information relating to the abstract level (The big picture here is that memes start after people getting pissed off about debates).
Te: Stating objective facts in a steam roller fashion (Because x article says so means it is objective is something i have seen xxTJs use around here).
Ti: Nitpicking the logic in someones argument (As opposed to using outside logic to cunter someone elses arguments Ti is more about using your own logic to pick at it like a scapel or laser, You should hang around the politics forum more to see Te vs Ti and of course Fe vs Fi :happy2: when emotions get high).
Fe; Following social customs and setting social rules (I do this too an extent by telling people advice on how to do well in certain situations).
Fi: Following the beat of your own drum so to speak morals wise (Like Te/Ti Fe will use outside morals to set the social scene while Fi follows its own morals like Ti follows its own logic).

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
[MENTION=25763]Enthusiastic_Dreamer[/MENTION]
I liked what you said in another thread about the problem with defining type through behavior, and I think that even though I focus on the internal in people I actually meet, I've gotten disoriented with the behavioral definitions because I can imagine motivations stemming from contrasting functions. I still on one level look at behavior because many definitions and anecdotes focus on behavior, but it is also harder to define the internal motivation of a person who may or may not communicate it. The reality of the categories is harder to uncover than just what people do, and it's much easier for people to assume motivations incorrectly, so behavior is more accurate at the initial data gathering stage, but less accurate at the analytical phase.

For example keeping a room clean could be Se because you are so directly affected by your immediate environment, or it could be Si because you have an internalized idea of what your room should look like that reflects they way you've always done it. It could be Ti because there is an underlying system of logic to finding what you need quickly, or even Te because you like structure and order and so enjoy organizing your things. It could be Fe because you want to make those around you feel content with a clean place, etc. It feels like a giant pot of alphabet soup with all the possibilities floating around in a mis-mash of stew.

I'll think about this a bit and try to define each function based on a sense of internal, underlying motivations and look up some of the more definitive sources.