• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Ni] Ni is not a philosophical function

ataru

Permabanned
MBTI Type
intj
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Whoever told you that ni is a function that involves abstraction or philosophy is on something.

All it is observing patterns and predicting what will happen. What makes this nj philosophers is that they use fi, fe, ti or te to add the boost. It is also a gut function of what you think is going to happen or you believe someone's intentions is something else than said.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
A simplification to explain a simplification does not an argument make.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who is this whoever you speak of?

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it is a stereotype, but it is a stereotype for a reason. Philosophers were held in high regards in much older societies for being able to think ahead and foretell what may happen, even if they aren't exactly psychic. Many of them, I believe, used the Ni function, and I think that's where the stereotype may have come from.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I think it is a stereotype, but it is a stereotype for a reason. Philosophers were held in high regards in much older societies for being able to think ahead and foretell what may happen, even if they aren't exactly psychic. Many of them, I believe, used the Ni function, and I think that's where the stereotype may have come from.

No those who were prophets and shamans (medicine men) was how Ni was easily mistaken to. philosophers started with using reason.

(See Plato and Aristotle) So no way was it that Ni really was to begin with.

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
No those who were prophets and shamans (medicine men) was how Ni was easily mistaken to. philosophers started with using reason.

(See Plato and Aristotle) So no way was it that Ni really was to begin with.

My memory of college textbooks is fuzzy, so forgive me. :blush: I can see how people (like me) can mistake so called philosophers with shamans and prophets, and I can also see how other people can also blur the line between all three of them.

Philosophy, in my opinion, is a Ti activity more so than a Ni. Philosophy, in a way, ricochet between Ni and Ti, but I am not 100% sure if I'm making sense.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
My memory of college textbooks is fuzzy, so forgive me. :blush: I can see how people (like me) can mistake so called philosophers with shamans and prophets, and I can also see how other people can also blur the line between all three of them.

Philosophy, in my opinion, is a Ti activity more so than a Ni. Philosophy, in a way, ricochet between Ni and Ti, but I am not 100% sure if I'm making sense.

Nah that's fine. Ti is probably the closest function but still does not represent philosophy in of itself. Nor does its tandem with Ni. Anyone can be a philosopher. Heidegger was an ISTJ I believe. So no Ni or Ti there. :p

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Nah that's fine. Ti is probably the closest function but still does not represent philosophy in of itself. Nor does its tandem with Ni. Anyone can be a philosopher. Heidegger was an ISTJ I believe. So no Ni or Ti there. :p

O great prophet, I shall follow you to the ends of land. You have my word. :worthy:

It's a real burden. That's what it is.

Is that why you have that avatar? ;p