• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[MBTI General] Introverts see the world more accurately than extroverts

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Social Scientists Find That Introverts See The World More Accurately Than Extroverts

"Introverts utilize their reserved nature to enhance their ability to observe, analyze, and understand society."

"While many people still consider extroversion to be the norm, and perceive introverts as not fitting in as well socially, these cultural preferences do not necessarily reflect reality- or the capabilities that introverts possess. While introverts may be positioned as underdogs in society, as research has demonstrated, they have a lot to contribute to the world around them. In summary, introverts seem to actually perceive their social world more accurately than extroverts do, as demonstrated by the study by Daniel Feiler and Adam Kleinbaum."

And what do extroverts do? Parade around acting superior to introverts.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
...the article equates "social dynamics" with "The World"? Really?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
...the article equates "social dynamics" with "The World"? Really?

Where? My title says "world" but the article talks about the social world.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
While I'm not an introvert, I am not too surprised by this.

If there is less noise in the way then you can more easily pay attention to what is actually there. Even with myself I find at times I am filling the air with noise and only afterwards do I realise that I was running on a form of verbal rail, that didn't allow me to let information in that would otherwise increase the accuracy of my perception. Or more simply: I was speaking but to do so I wasn't seeing (which isn't to say people who speak are not seeing just that in my case there is a harsh divide).

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The article's title also says "world."

Ok, so we've established that the article's title says "world" and the title of this thread says "world."

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok, so we've established that the article's title says "world" and the title of this thread says "world."
Christ. Let's be overly pedantic about it, then.

...the title of the article equates "social dynamics" with "The World"? Really?

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
*cough*
Introvert Bias
*cough*

Evee

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say that whoever has the better grasp of our language would see our world more accurately.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7
Erm...this kinda sounds arrogant and special snowflakey to me.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Erm...this kinda sounds arrogant and special snowflakey to me.

On the side and bottom of the article:

You may also like:
10 Reasons Why Introverts Are Incredibly Attractive People
19 Real Life Examples of An Extroverted Introvert So You Don't Get Confused
20 Things To Remember If You Love An Introvert
8 Amazing Traits All Introverts Have that They Probably Never Realized
10 Things Only Outgoing Introverts Would Understand
10 Best Activities To Do With Introverts
15 Signs You're An Introvert, Even If You Don't Feel You Are
7 Ways To Make Friends As An Introvert
15 Things Introverts Don’t Do At Work That Makes Them Excel
24 Signs You're An Introvert

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
*nods solemnly*

Tis true.

fetus

Enneagram
6w7

You may also like:

Knowing your I/E preference can be a huge help in life, but sometimes I feel like people take labels a little too far...Jesus. I think the new introvert awareness thing is cool, but it's kind of become condescending in a way. Sort of like how when some iNtuitives hate on Sensors.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Knowing your I/E preference can be a huge help in life, but sometimes I feel like people take labels a little too far...Jesus. I think the new introvert awareness thing is cool, but it's kind of become condescending in a way. Sort of like how when some iNtuitives hate on Sensors.

Yeah. :\ Introverts can be just as cool as Extroverts. Same with Sensors and iNtuitives, and y'know the rest..

Lunar Light

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

I can sympathize when taken into a "real life" context, the way these articles are written with an introvert bias. Like, they don't really get a voice and they are seen as more "weird," especially the more cerebral ones, at least in America because lol pretty anti-intellectualistic country (OMG NEEEEEEEEERD!!!!!) But on these forums, it makes me extremely uncomfortable.

Like...
And what do extroverts do? Parade around acting superior to introverts.
pls. srsly, pls.

Even if this is facetious, there's a general pattern of seeing extroverts as less intelligent, especially ESxx types. More pompous, impulsive, presumptuous, etc. It's annoying because such a broad label like introvert or extrovert can only really define so much. Anything else is just loose correlations

Anyway, I didn't even read the article, but my two cents is that this COULD apply to social introversion/extroversion, but definitely not necessarily cognitive. I have a hyper awareness of what's going on and Ne/Se (Pe) is like the epitome of observation. Social instinct (and sexual depending on what is attractive) in ennea could help too.

But srsly, like, just because I might be talking doesn't mean I'm not paying attention to what's going on. I actually hide my observation this way, and stunned this INTP I knew who I had classes with and paid attention to. We never really talked too much, weren't friends, but when I did end up seeking her out at one point, she told me I knew her significantly better than she knew herself (when looking through a typology lens). And this was just based off pretty removed, external observation and inference.

Lunar Light

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah. :\ Introverts can be just as cool as Extroverts. Same with Sensors and iNtuitives, and y'know the rest..
Both can be equally lame too!!!!!!

why love equally when we can hate equally

lol jk

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I've observed that those who "accurately" see the world are those who see themselves accurately, and this points more to psychological health than being an introvert or extravert. This tendency to observe the world might be more noticeable and quicker to happen in introverts, but I think it's more likely that it would be linked to introversion, which is something extraverts also do. Just as introverts need to get out and experience first-hand to balance their inner perceptions, the extravert requires introversion to assimilate their external findings.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You may also like:

There's some choice stuff in these too
Studies have shown that introverts didn’t give high ratings to their [...] employees, which shows that introverts are more aware of any personality traits in an individual that may seem negative. Therefore, they are good judges of people’s character as they see everyone for who they really are as opposed to who they appear to be.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, not sure what I think about that article. Introverts can just as often be completely oblivious and self-absorbed in their own mind, perceptions, and thoughts, missing things outside of themselves.

-----------------

Though, the title of this thread is actually kinda misleading given what the article was actually talking about, which didn't go into much detail and one of the main points was, 'extroverts tend to see other people as being more extroverted than they actually are and introverts don't do this' ...