• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Ni vs Ne

Nico_D

The Lost One
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Thanks for sharing, have to listen to this. Personality Hacker had a great podcast about INFJ.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=61]Littlelostnf[/MENTION]

It is interesting that you started this thread because I was just thinking of starting a thread on the differences between Ne and Ni. Literally yesterday.

Can you summarize what you took out of this - as to what the differences are?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
They say in this that Ni users have this ability to see that arguments are due to people using the same word in different ways or different words to mean the same thing. Doesn't pretty much any smart person realise this? Or is there something more to it?

I guess Ni users will just know what the differents meanings are, and maybe Si will realise there's a difference but need to then have it spelt out in a concrete way.

I feel that if I were actually using the process I'm talking about, that I would know the answer to this.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
They say in this that Ni users have this ability to see that arguments are due to people using the same word in different ways or different words to mean the same thing. Doesn't pretty much any smart person realise this? Or is there something more to it?

I guess Ni users will just know what the differents meanings are, and maybe Si will realise there's a difference but need to then have it spelt out in a concrete way.

I feel that if I were actually using the process I'm talking about, that I would know the answer to this.

Ni has trouble being concise and it's usually because of words. I'd say Ni's relationship to language and words is idiosyncratic and lacks consistency of definition. So much of meaning is contextual for Ni; sometimes it's situational. I mean, English is an a posteriori language, but I feel like most people approach it, and use it, as though it were an a priori language.

I can't lay out an example right now, but I can pinpoint precisely where an argument is born based not so much on words themselves, but their usage.

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
I guess Ni users will just know what the differents meanings are

Yes, but within their contexts. Ni's interest in meaning is not so much about a word's definition, but it's usage within its context. The usage is the meaning. Therefore, a word means different things depending on how it's used.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Yes, but within their contexts. Ni's interest in meaning is not so much about a word's definition, but it's usage within its context. The usage is the meaning. Therefore, a word means different things depending on how it's used.

Yeah, this is what I meant. The meaning of the word as it is being used.

I think I can be quite idiosyncratic too. Functionally, I had put it down to Te - using a word in a way which will work for my understanding of the situation, it gets the point across if you can see how the idea is structured. But that's probably not Te.

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
A couple things the people in the video claim:

- that Ni is a recent development in evolution, and Ne is also but not as recent as Ni

- that Ne and Ni are compatible (and sensors dislike intuitives)

hmm...

windoverlake

MBTI Type
INFJ
A couple things the people in the video claim:

- that Ni is a recent development in evolution, and Ne is also but not as recent as Ni

- that Ne and Ni are compatible (and sensors dislike intuitives)

hmm...

Does the video go into more detail about this particular detail?

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
Does the video go into more detail about this particular detail?

The evolution stuff, I don't think they really do go into much detail.

The second thing, I think they elaborated on it nearish the end of the podcast.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

I see people talking past each other all the time because of the words they are using. What I have noticed is that Ti types tend to be nitpickers on definitions and correct use of a particular word. As was stated, my feeling is that the word's use is all about context so I don't read too much into a particular a word. I try to pay attention to the overall gist of what somebody is saying vs. criticizing their choice of words (though if it is obviously wrong usage, it will bother me). On the other hand, when I myself and expressing things through words, I try to be VERY precise on the words that I use so that the meaning I'm trying to communicate is properly communicated. It is one of the reasons for the sometimes halting speech - it's the struggle to find the precise words to articulate what is in my head. As a result, when the Ti type will criticize my use of a word it can set me off a little bit. I feel that they can miss the forest through the trees. They come across to me as nitpicking on the words, the taxonomy, the consistency of logic, etc.

Littlelostnf

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Whoa so sorry Highlander,

I totally NEVER came back to this thread as I don't remember getting notifications about it. Just seeing this over 7 months later. I have to listen to the podcast again and get back to you.

So sorry.