• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Jungian Cognitive Functions] Understanding Tandem Processes

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I found this to be a really good explanation of tandem processes. I've been looking for some kind of decent description for this for a while.

http://lindaberens.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/TandemPrincipleParts1-2.pdf

Does this resonate for you? For example - do you find yourself using your dominant and inferior functions together? Do you find yourself using your auxilary and tertiary functions together?

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
The so-called "tandems" go hand in hand with the model that says that an INFP's functions (for example) are Fi-Ne-Si-Te. That model is inconsistent with Jung, inconsistent with Myers, has never been endorsed by the official MBTI folks, has no respectable body of evidence behind it — and indeed, for the reasons described below, should really be considered all but disproven at this point.

As further explained in the two-post discussion starting here, Jung's function stacks for an Ni-dom with a T-aux and a Ti-dom with an N-aux were Ni-Ti-Fe-Se and Ti-Ni-Se-Fe, respectively. And Myers' stacks for those two were Ni-Te-Fe-Se and Ti-Ne-Se-Fe.

Myers acknowledged that her take on the Jungian auxiliary function ran counter to the majority (all but one, she said) of Jung scholars — but nobody respectable really disagrees with the idea that Jung thought that the attitude of the tertiary function was opposite to the attitude of the dominant function (in the typical case), and that was also Myers' view.

The INFP=Fi-Ne-Si-Te model was apparently first formulated by a guy named Harold Grant in the appendix to a religious book (I am not making this up) called Image to Likeness: A Jungian Path in the Gospel Journey in 1983. And it never should have gotten any traction, but — thanks to shining lights like Linda Berens — you can find that model all over the internet today.

Wiser MBTI theorists (like Naomi Quenk) have refrained from adopting Grant's view of the tertiary function, and as previously noted, it has never been endorsed by the official MBTI folks.

The James Reynierse article ("The Case Against Type Dynamics") that I'm always linking to talks about a theoretical framework that he calls "preference multidimensionality" — which, if you set aside some of Reynierse's more questionable proposed embellishments, is shorthand for what was essentially Isabel Myers' perspective, rather than being an original new framing. The fact that the four MBTI dichotomies (like the Big Five factors they correlate with) appear to be tapping into the core clusters of Jungian/MBTI personality emphatically doesn't mean that there aren't significant aspects of personality that more than one of those dichotomies contributes to. Decades of data (including Reynierse's studies) show that there are lots of personality characteristics that correspond to a wide variety of dichotomy combinations, and the 1985 MBTI Manual (co-authored by Myers) included a brief description corresponding to each of the 24 possible two-letter combinations.

But what the data also shows is that the only times the so-called "cognitive functions" have any validity is when they piggyback on the simple additive effects of the corresponding dichotomy combinations. And where the Grant functions model goes beyond, or is inconsistent with, the simple, dichotomy-based "preference multidimensionality" expectation — e.g., the Grant-model notion that there are "Fi/Te vs. Fe/Ti" aspects of personality where TJs and FPs are on one side of the divide and TPs and FJs are on the other — the real world virtually never seems to reflect those Grant-model expectations.

The way type really works is that S's and N's are opposites (or opposite-ish) when it comes to S/N stuff and J's and P's are opposites (or opposite-ish) when it comes to J/P stuff, and — believe it or not! — SJs and NPs are opposites (or opposite-ish) when it comes to SJ/NP stuff.

In decades of MBTI data pools, the patterns corresponding to the so-called "tandems" have virtually never shown up. Whatever it is that any particular study is correlating with MBTI type, if it's something with respect to which the SJs tend to be out toward one end of the correlational spectrum, you can expect to find the NPs out toward the other end. You virtually never find the SJs and NPs together on one side (because Ne/Si types) and the NJs and SPs together on the other (because Ni/Se types). And that's in stark contrast to the multitude of data pools — over more than 50 years — where substantial correlations have shown up between the MBTI dichotomies (and various dichotomy combinations) and a host of personality and behavioral characteristics.

Statistically significant correlations in reasonably large samples is how the validity of personality typologies gets respectably established. Without them, you might as well be talking about somebody being a Pisces.

And again, neither Jung nor Myers described those kinds of patterns, and in fact, Jung's conception of the inferior function was inconsistent with the "tandem" idea in two different ways — as further explained in the first spoiler.

And in any case, setting aside what Jung or Myers thought, the most important thing to understand is that the idea of tandem-based types has no respectable body of empirical support behind it. They've been collecting data and doing studies involving MBTI types for decades now, and as previously noted, those data pools consistently show that if whatever's being correlated with your MBTI type is something that's affected by both your S/N and J/P preferences, and the SJs are at one end of the applicable spectrum, where can you reliably expect to find the NPs, kids? That's right! At the opposite end of the spectrum.

That 2009 Reynierse article is one of a series of articles that Reynierse (and Harker) published in the Journal of Psychological Type (which is published by the official MBTI folks) and that strongly argued against the Harold Grant model and scoffed at its lack of validity, as well as taking a sharp swipe or two at Naomi Quenk for her ongoing support of "type dynamics." And Quenk is about as "establishment MBTI" as you can get, having authored or co-authored lots of official MBTI materials, including the Step II Manual. Outside her "official" MBTI work, as Reynierse pointed out, she's been a pretty big cognitive functions person — although, as previously noted, she's remained agnostic on the issue of the tertiary's attitude — and you'd better believe she's someone who has ready access to the vast trove of MBTI data that's been gathered over the last 50 years.

Reynierse's articles caused quite a stir in the MBTI community, as I understand it. And all Quenk or Berens or Nardi or any of those other cognitive functions people needed to do to refute his assertion that the functions are just a "category mistake" — not to mention provide, at long last, some respectable support for the functions — was to go through the vast stores of existing MBTI data and find a respectable body of results reflecting one of those patterns (TJs/FPs on one side and TPs/FJs on the other, or SJs/NPs on one side and SPs/NJs on the other). Because if either of those patterns — which are decidedly inconsistent with simple "preference multidimensionality" — ever turned up in a respectable body of MBTI data, well, that's what validity is all about.

And instead, as I understand it, the response to Reynierse (as far as the validity issue goes) was... *crickets*

At this point, the aspect of the Harold Grant functions model that says that an INTJ has "tertiary Fi" (i.e., has MBTI-related aspects of personality that they share with INFPs, and that INFJs don't share with INFPs), and that an INFP has "tertiary Si" (i.e., has MBTI-related aspects of personality that they share with ISTJs, and that ISTPs don't share with ISTJs) is past the point of being able to respectably claim "not yet proven" status, and should really be considered disproven by anyone who likes to think of themselves as reality-oriented. Because at this point I think it's pretty much safe to assume (1) that, if any respectable body of data existed in support of those "tandem" patterns, we would have heard about it, and (2) that if no such body of data exists within all those decades of studies, that means the tandems lack validity.

And just in case you're stroking your chin and thinking, well, maybe there isn't any respectable body of data showing those patterns yet, but that's just because the vast majority of psychologists who've been gathering MBTI data have been dichotomy-oriented (which is certainly true) and so they weren't really testing the Grant model. Well, if that's what you're thinking, you're wrong, because MBTI test results aren't tests of any particular hypothesized patterns. They're just the subjects' MBTI types, and when they're correlated against whatever's being studied, the correlational patterns are whatever they are. And if the TPs and FJs are on one side and the TJs and FP are on the other, then bingo! — you've got results that would support the notion (take that, James Reynierse!) that "Fe/Ti" and "Fi/Te" are among the relevant personality components. But, as I've noted, they somehow never seem to be.

But reckful, you might be thinking to yourself, data pools or no data pools: INTJs and Fi! It just rings so true!

Well, if that's what you're thinking... I've put some bonus discussion of the Forer effect in the spoiler.

Still awake? For a little more fun with Linda Berens, Harold Grant and Bertram Forer, read on!

==========================================

Linda Berens's latest "lens" is something she calls the "Cognitive Styles," and it's the apotheosis of the Harold Grant functions model, since it's the four groups who have all the same functions under the Grant model. So it's based on all the things that, for example, INTJs, ENTJs, ESFPs and ISFPs (who she calls the Orchestratingâ„¢ types) have in common.

You can take a free "introductory course" here if you're interested. The style descriptions are truly Forer-on-steroids — and I mean, they'd have to be, wouldn't they?

To quote Ms. Berens:

Berens said:
I've been working with psychological type models since 1975, and we realized that there's a pattern that we hadn't really detected yet. So over the last six years we've been doing research and exploring and seeing if we can detect what this pattern is, and then we're calling it Cognitive Styles because it's reflective not of cognitive processes and not of separate preferences but a whole style that has a theme of its own.

As her sidekick Chris Montoya further explains:

Montoya said:
Once you discover this exciting lens and gain some practice with it, you will see that it informs the other preferences you have, and they inform it, in a magnetic way, keeping the patterns in place. This really helps us make sense of the world while we grow and develop. I believe all growth occurs on this platform of the magnetic lenses.

Here's the first anecdotal example they offer us of the Orchestrating Mind in action:

Montoya said:
Craig was a training director at a new company. The organization's sales were down and needed to let some people from the organization go in the next few months. They put him in charge of the initiative even though he had never had any experience with it. He started a campaign to frame the communication intentionally in realistic, positive drips. Based on a few conversations he had with some of the impacted people before they knew, they wanted to feel cared about. He leveraged this information by planning a few career change seminars and outplacement support, with a free resume service to help people in the process. The result was well received, and people were grateful that the organization tried to help them through the process. The organization was grateful to Craig that there were no lawsuits or grievances from it.

Naturally Craig (an INTJ) handled that situation the same way an ESFP would have, and quite differently from the way a Customizingâ„¢ INFJ or an Enhancingâ„¢ ISFJ or an Authenticatingâ„¢ ISTJ would have handled it, because, for example, the INFJ would have...

Oops! They don't tell us what any of the other types would have done differently! That's not what you do if you're being Foreresque! If you're being Foreresque, you use different anecdotes for the different types, and you make sure they all sound pretty much like what just about anybody might do. Clever Linda Berens! Clever Chris Montoya!

Clever Cognitive Styles!

Last edited:

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
[MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]

This is all very interesting. So you believe that there is evidence that supports the dichotomies and no evidence to support cognitive processes or functions. Is that right?

Do you believe in cognitive functions/processes at all? If you don't, then I can see why you would say that tandem functions don't have any validity. It almost seems as if you feel that even the original theory was derived from those jungian cognitive functions - you think that is irrelevant. All that matters is the dichotomies because that's the only thing supported by the data.

I have seen the question on the direction/orientation of the tertiary in the MBTI manuals but it doesn't seem to be mentioned in a lot of other places these days. Who these days believes that the tertiary is an opposite attitude of the dominant function? Even if that is in question, it still doesn't invalidate that the dominant and inferior functions could potentially have a "tandem" relationship. I don't think there is disagreement on the direction of the inferior.

It doesn't surprise me that you don't like Montoya's stuff - which basically groups the types into four buckets of types that share the top 4 functions. I'm not sure if I believe in that yet or not. It seems interesting. As I understand it, he took 40 pages of interview information for each of the 16 types, took their quotes and put it on index cards and let that analysis - which well - seem to be supported by some kind of data - take him to these groupings. The way Berens describes it, all INTJs have a little bit of SFP in them. I can believe that.

I don't claim to know all the answers. My personal experience is that the cognitive processes enrich my understanding of how others think, so I tend to think it has some validity. I get this sense if for no other reason than my observations of people that I know and my perceptions as to how their minds work. As to each type's stack 1 - 8 and how valid the supposed roles or ordering is - I am not sure. I am pretty sure as an INTJ that if I possess a feeling function, that it aligns with a introverted feeling description and not an extraverted feeling one. I know for sure that ISFJ and INFJs that I know demonstrate thinking that looks a lot more like an extraverted feeling description than introverted feeling. I can see the conflicts that arise between people who are "supposed" to be using those respective feeling functions. I can see the differences between people that seem to prefer Ti vs Te. That is very obvious and starkly different. So as a concept, I think it works. It helps me to understand people.

One more question - if you are sure you are an INTJ - and you have read the descriptions for Introverted Feeling and Extraverted Feeling - which one resonates better for you personally? For the sake of argument, use these descriptions here.
Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
One more question - if you are sure you are an INTJ - and you have read the descriptions for Introverted Feeling and Extraverted Feeling - which one resonates better for you personally? For the sake of argument, use these descriptions here.
Keys 2 Cognition - Cognitive Processes

As I noted in the second spoiler in my first post, it's been my experience that all four IN types tend to favor Fi over Fe when they take that test, and that's certainly been true of both the INTJs and the INTPs who've posted their results in that long thread at INTJforum. As I assume you know, and as discussed at some length in this post (also linked to in my first post), the function results on Nardi's test are typically very much out of whack with the Grant stack. And that's consistent with the fact that, as I understand it, there isn't a single function-based test on or off the internet on which INTJs tend to get high Ni and Te scores and low Ti and Ne scores and INTPs tend to get high Ti and Ne scores and low Ni and Te scores — never mind scoring the third and fourth functions in a way that matches the model.

On a related note, and in case you're interested, I've put some recycled reckful (from another forum) on bad Fe descriptions in the spoiler.

As a final note on Jung and Fe and Fi: As discussed at length in this two-part post (also linked in my first post), Jung didn't believe that the auxiliary function would have the opposite attitude to the dominant, and that means Jung didn't expect that any introverted type (INFJs included) would be an "Fe" type or that any extraverted type would be an "Fi" type.

Responding to more of your post is on my to-do list for tomorrow.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As I noted in the second spoiler in my first post, it's been my experience that all four IN types tend to favor Fi over Fe when they take that test, and that's certainly been true of both the INTJs and the INTPs who've posted their results in that long thread at INTJforum. As I assume you know, and as discussed at some length in this post (also linked to in my first post), the function results on Nardi's test are typically very much out of whack with the Grant stack. And that's consistent with the fact that, as I understand it, there isn't a single function-based test on or off the internet on which INTJs tend to get high Ni and Te scores and low Ti and Ne scores and INTPs tend to get high Ti and Ne scores and low Ni and Te scores — never mind scoring the third and fourth functions in a way that matches the model.

On a related note, and in case you're interested, I've put some recycled reckful (from another forum) on bad Fe descriptions in the spoiler.

As a final note on Jung and Fe and Fi: As discussed at length in this two-part post (also linked in my first post), Jung didn't believe that the auxiliary function would have the opposite attitude to the dominant, and that means Jung didn't expect that any introverted type (INFJs included) would be an "Fe" type or that any extraverted type would be an "Fi" type.

Responding to more of your post is on my to-do list for tomorrow.

On Fe vs. Fi, I would read the following post which is the culmination of a rather long thread about the differences between Fe and Fi. That is summarizing perspectives and input from a lot of people. That spolier you had focuses too much on the emotional expressiveness aspect of things.

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/37827-dear-fe-user-5.html#post1421311

I am not super impressed with the quality nor consistency of results from Nardi's cognitive function tests. Maybe it's just not such a good test. I have always thought the best one is the MBTI Step 2 but it seems to me there is an opportunity to develop a better instrument. Maybe I will develop one some day.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
On Fe vs. Fi, I would read the following post which is the culmination of a rather long thread about the differences between Fe and Fi. That is summarizing perspectives and input from a lot of people. That spolier you had focuses too much on the emotional expressiveness aspect of things.

It sounds like you misunderstood my post. That spoiler wasn't intended to be my take on what Fe or Fi are about. It was just two examples of the kind of poor function characterizations that lead people astray.

I agree with Reynierse that the functions are a "category mistake," pure and simple. Depending on what particular function description someone may be using, it can have some piggybacked validity from the dichotomies involved — e.g., an "Fe" description will have validity with respect to FJs if it is, in fact, made up of characteristics that F and J preferences tend to produce.

But as explained at length in my first post, an "Fe" description comprised of characteristics that F and J preferences tend to produce will have no validity if you try to apply it to TPs on the ground that they're "Ti/Fe" types and have "Fe" stuff in common with the FJs that FPs and TJs don't have.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
It sounds like you misunderstood my post. That spoiler wasn't intended to be my take on what Fe or Fi are about. It was just two examples of the kind of poor function characterizations that lead people astray.

Yes there is so much bad information out there it makes things difficult at times. What do you think of those Fe/Fi descriptions I posted on the Wiki?

I agree with Reynierse that the functions are a "category mistake," pure and simple. Depending on what particular function description someone may be using, it can have some piggybacked validity from the dichotomies involved — e.g., an "Fe" description will have validity with respect to FJs if it is, in fact, made up of characteristics that F and J preferences tend to produce.

But as explained at length in my first post, an "Fe" description comprised of characteristics that F and J preferences tend to produce will have no validity if you try to apply it to TPs on the ground that they're "Ti/Fe" types and have "Fe" stuff in common with the FJs that FPs and TJs don't have.

Beatrice Chestnut thinks we can't make a lot of sense of the instincts without understanding the enneagram type they are attached to. Maybe that is analogous per your explanation.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...nctions/37827-dear-fe-user-5.html#post1421311

I am not super impressed with the quality nor consistency of results from Nardi's cognitive function tests. Maybe it's just not such a good test. I have always thought the best one is the MBTI Step 2 but it seems to me there is an opportunity to develop a better instrument. Maybe I will develop one some day.

I think the Fe vs. Fi discussions can have value, as long as they are talking about Fe vs. Fi in the (in the Type Dynamics sense) dominant or auxiliary positions.That is, F+J (Fe) vs F+P (Fi) can describe something real, since preference combinations can be additive. I think each "function" has its own feel and its own validity, as long as they can be ascribed to actual preference combinations.

I'm dubious about "Fi" and "Fe" in the tertiary or inferior positions, since I don't see any empirical evidence the tertiary or inferior function is really a thing. I don't see evidence of that internally (in part because I have such a strong perceiving preference, I suspect), and there's no external empirical evidence of it either. I try to keep an open mind, since others find it a useful construct, but I have yet to see evidence that the inferior or tertiary functions have real validity. Of course the emotional and subjective play a role in the lives of those who consider themselves objective and logical. Of course the logical and objective plays a role in the lives of those who consider themselves subjective and relational.

I do think there are interesting discussions to be had as far as emotional awareness, and how being emotionally aware correlates with preferring Thinking or Feeling (or even Fe vs Fi). It seems not unlikely that certain preference combinations tend to be more emotionally aware, but I suspect that's a loose correlation at best. Anyone can learn to be emotionally aware, but not everyone does.

The MBTI Step II isn't a functional/type-dynamics-based instrument, and resembles the Big Five sub-scales more than any kind of functional analysis. I found it personally useful, but it certainly isn't evidence that type dynamics are correct. One can argue that Nardi's instrument is a bad way to measure functional preference, but it remains true that no instrument (so far) has been able to find empirical evidence supporting type dynamics. It's not completely impossible that such an instrument could be invented, but so far motivated people have failed to do so.

highlander

Administrator
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One can argue that Nardi's instrument is a bad way to measure functional preference, but it remains true that no instrument (so far) has been able to find empirical evidence supporting type dynamics. It's not completely impossible that such an instrument could be invented, but so far motivated people have failed to do so.

Has anyone tried besides Nardi? I have wondered about that.

Seymour

Vaguely Precise
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has anyone tried besides Nardi? I have wondered about that.

I know of a couple of cases. One it work done by the Harzler's (and referenced in Functions of Type) which is referenced in the book. I don't have a copy at work, but I recall they found that often the introverted and extraverted form of a function would follow each other in preference order. So an INTJ might have Ni followed by Ne, as far as references goes (which is what we'd expect from an additive model when one combines a strong N preference with a weak J preference). I can look that up when I get home.

The Harzler's also have the Function Skill Development Assessmentâ„¢, which I haven't taken. I'm not sure that's what they used (or developed) when writing their book, but I would be surprised if the FSDA and the results mentioned in the book were unrelated.

In addition Mark Majors (creator of the Majors PTI) did some statistical analysis related to type dynamics and then gave a talk at an APT conference. Unfortunately, they didn't make an audio recording available, and Majors declined to share the results of his research when I emailed him. One of the stated goals of the Majors PTI was to "focus on evidence of type dynamics," so it's interesting no data has been forthcoming publicly.

I see that there's a pre-session at the 2015 APTi titled "Using the Advanced Jungian Scores from the Majors PIT/PT Elements: Utility for Coaching, Couples, and Organizations." (I assume the "PIT" is a typo, and it should read "PTI.")

I also see that that there's a concurrent session at the 2015 APTi titled "Growing Type: Empirical Evidence for Type Development".

We'll see if any audio recordings or slides are made available from those talks, and whether the evidence they present can't be better explained without type dynamics.

Still, at this point I'd say that there's little to no credible evidence for type dynamics, and lots of evidence that that viewing the preferences as continuous traits that have additive effects (when viewed as dyads or triads) yields a more empirically accurate view. I remain interested in evidence to the contrary, and I'll keep searching around for evidence online.

reckful

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
[MENTION=18736]reckful[/MENTION]

This is all very interesting. So you believe that there is evidence that supports the dichotomies and no evidence to support cognitive processes or functions. Is that right?

Do you believe in cognitive functions/processes at all? If you don't, then I can see why you would say that tandem functions don't have any validity. It almost seems as if you feel that even the original theory was derived from those jungian cognitive functions - you think that is irrelevant. All that matters is the dichotomies because that's the only thing supported by the data.

It depends what you mean by "believing in cognitive functions." As Reynierse has rightly noted, the eight functions only really work (from a psychometric standpoint) to the extent that they just piggyback on the validity of the dichotomies.

As I'm always pointing out, the modern function descriptions you'll find in Thomson, Berens, Nardi, etc. differ in many ways (large and small) from Jung's original concepts, and appear to be a set of descriptions more or less jerry-rigged to match up reasonably well with the MBTI types they purportedly correspond with. (As one dramatic example, and as described at length in this post, the description of "Si" you'll find Thomson, Berens, Nardi and Quenk using bears little resemblance to Jung's "introverted sensation" and is instead a description made to match MBTI SJs.)

So... since "Ni" descriptions are set up to match NJs (extraverts and introverts both) reasonably well (since the EN_Js are "Ni-aux" types) and "Te" descriptions are set up to match TJs (extraverts and introverts both) reasonably well (since the I_TJs are "Te-aux" types), it's not surprising that INTJs and ENTJs both read those modern Ni and Te descriptions and feel like they relate reasonably well. (Although I can't help noting that, as discussed in the spoiler in this post, INTJs often relate pretty well to Ne and Ti descriptions as well....)

So, as a general matter... if you're looking at those modern cognitive function descriptions, and you're applying them to the types who purportedly have them as their dominant and auxiliary functions, you're likely to get quite a bit of piggybacked validity, because if an FJ description is largely made up of things that FJs tend to have in common, it's obviously going to be reasonably valid for FJs.

But none of that has anything to do with whether the functions beat Reynierse's "category mistake" rap.

As a reminder, you and I had a dichotomies-vs.-functions exchange last month in another thread, and this post of mine has some more discussion of what it means to use a "dichotomy-centric" framework, and why typical function-based framings both add nothing to that (that has any validity) and also, just as importantly, tend to miss significant aspects of personality that are included in the richer, more flexible dichotomy-centric framework.