• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What function(s) does ________?

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Since I'm always wondering what function(s) to tie to certain traits (if any), so I'm finally making a thread to post all my random thoughts for this. Here's a few for now -- feel free to post more!

- What function(s) constantly use other works as a reference in a debate/argument?
I always saw this as a Te, Si, or maybe Te/Si, Si/Te thing, but an INTP friend relates it to Ni. I'm curious. Thoughts?

- Which function(s) are especially influenced by reputations of certain things -- Harvard, Steve Jobs, whatever?
I've seen this in a lot of people obviously, but mostly EXXJs. Maybe just dominant extraverted judgers?

- Which function compares and contrasts a lot to get their point across?
...Ti? I really couldn't say for sure.

StephMC

Controlled Mischief
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Wanted to add a disclaimer: I realize this is generalizing, but it was mostly for fun/curiosity :)

IceBlock

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
?
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Since I'm always wondering what function(s) to tie to certain traits (if any), so I'm finally making a thread to post all my random thoughts for this. Here's a few for now -- feel free to post more!

- What function(s) constantly use other works as a reference in a debate/argument?
I always saw this as a Te, Si, or maybe Te/Si, Si/Te thing, but an INTP friend relates it to Ni. I'm curious. Thoughts?

- Which function(s) are especially influenced by reputations of certain things -- Harvard, Steve Jobs, whatever?
I've seen this in a lot of people obviously, but mostly EXXJs. Maybe just dominant extraverted judgers?

- Which function compares and contrasts a lot to get their point across?
...Ti? I really couldn't say for sure.

1 - Yes, TeSi or SiTe, imo. I can't see Ni there. Ni is not based in stuff you've already seen, read, heard...

2 - People who get influenced by reputation? I don't know. I can see a shallow ESFP here, who is only after the most popular person. But when it comes to university reputation, Harvard as you said, I can see an annoying INTJ or ENTJ that after being accepted in Harvard keeps telling this information over and over again to everyone, showing off his achievement.

3 - Didn't really got the question. I don't know what the term "point across" mean, actually.

pv255

I relate it to introverted perception, and I will practice some right now.

"Introverted intuition apprehends the images which arise from the a priori, i.e. the inherited foundations of the unconscious mind."
http://psychclassics.yorku.ca/Jung/types.htm
a priori = "from the earlier"
A priori knowledge or justification is independent of experience... -wikipedia
"Introverted Intuition function allows a person to have a sense about the future using concepts from the past. It is the ability to grasp and get a sense of a pattern or plan from past events. Memories that is usually hard to understand and dissect is easily processed through Introverted Intuition."
I didnt explain it well. The first sentence about concepts of the past is spot on. In second sentence "from past events" is inaccurate. I meant the say they get a sense of a pattern or plan that fits into a past analysis, judgements, or known concepts. The replacement of "information" with "memories" was just wrong on my part. But, information can be easily processed bc they are looking for patterns of past concepts. While this can be extremely productive, Ni is susceptible to committing the fallacy of data-mining. Since Ni build concepts on top of past concepts, too much of this can lead to a very wrong conclusion.
When I read Nietzsche, he builds logic on top of logic on top of more logic. He references other works so he doesn't have to explain their logic. Logic is good. Its definitely thought provoking, but it isn't that good. Just like how Ne is good, but it is slow slow slow and impractical at times.

Which function(s) are especially influenced by reputations of certain things -- Harvard, Steve Jobs, whatever?
I think you meant to clarify reputation and reputation alone (aka they dont understand what they did, how or why they did it, nor can they imagine anyone doing it better, all they know is they did something and the other guys likes it). Si.

Which function compares and contrasts a lot to get their point across?
All