• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pictorial Guide to the Se/Si Distinction

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Most who would view the image would automatically assume it meant sitting in the car racing rather than remembering names and viewing the race itself. It is well known race car drivers initially enter the field because of the rush and feel of such which identifies far more as Se. Si users will tend not take risks within areas of possible ambiguity.

I associate drag racing and street racing more with Se. I associate Nascar with extreme boredom, but I'm looking at it from the outside, and from my knowledge of fans who get obsessed with a particular driver or two, and they watch them carefully and closely.

I also associate pastimes like fantasy team sports (listing out your fantasy players for the NFL or whatever, along with statistics and numbers) as an Si related activity, like something an ISxJ or INTP might be highly likely to do.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm afraid the Si pictures in the OP are not good indicators of the function at all. Si falls to traditional means in which you know something from experience and therefore you are likely to deal with situations in the way you know by experience.

The first two pictures of Si in the OP are actually more inclined towards Se. Se is an experiencing function in which Se users like to get a kick out of physically feeling the rush of the world. If we wish to speculate more those two first Si pictures tend towards Introverted Se users, ISPs.

Then, according to my reading of Jung's introverted sensing type, he was really referring to what we would call the ISP type. I wouldn't doubt that's the case, because I don't think Myers-Briggs did a good job of translating Jung to their own system. I spent quite some time in the past scratching my head over this MBTI weirdness, and wanting to return to Jung.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I associate drag racing and street racing more with Se. I associate Nascar with extreme boredom, but I'm looking at it from the outside, and from my knowledge of fans who get obsessed with a particular driver or two, and they watch them carefully and closely.

I also associate pastimes like fantasy team sports (listing out your fantasy players for the NFL or whatever, along with statistics and numbers) as an Si related activity, like something an ISxJ or INTP might be highly likely to do.
I do not disagree with your categorical associations in certain hobbies of such functions. Rather, I was mainly pointing out the difference in perception of how we would be seeing such images in it's different manners and that I'm assuming most individuals would expect it to simply be the racecar driver. Not the position of fans of nascar racing and their hobbies.

Then, according to my reading of Jung's introverted sensing type, he was really referring to what we would call the ISP type. I wouldn't doubt that's the case, because I don't think Myers-Briggs did a good job of translating Jung to their own system. I spent quite some time in the past scratching my head over this MBTI weirdness, and wanting to return to Jung.
The raw jungian principles state the Se function uses the direct feel of the objective influence. However, in Si, the subjective influence of particular sensation gained from the subconscious falls to interject the direct feel of objective influence. This would mean Si tends to replace physical experience with a subjective facade before they would fully be able to experience such.
This goes back to the simple Si 'sticking with what you know' type function.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
I do not disagree with your categorical associations in certain hobbies of such functions. Rather, I was mainly pointing out the difference in perception of how we would be seeing such images in it's different manners and that I'm assuming most individuals would expect it to simply be the racecar driver. Not the position of fans of nascar racing and their hobbies.

Yeah that's fine I'm just saying that

8DD9E0F88A7F269F97A99C6C54F55.jpg

street-racing-syndicate-20040617110104377_640w.jpg

tony-nancy-drag-racing.jpg

Those are racing images I associate with Se. Nascar is so much more systematic and contained, like Si...they race around in a circle at a certain time at a certain place. It's just me, my mind, I'm not disagreeing with you that the impulse to race in the first place could certainly be associated with Se.

I'm just explaining my perception.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Most who would view the image would automatically assume it meant sitting in the car racing rather than remembering names and viewing the race itself. It is well known race car drivers initially enter the field because of the rush and feel of such which identifies far more as Se. Si users will tend not take risks within areas of possible ambiguity.

And oh yes, onemoretime's pictures are quite good. Far better indicators.

The use of Nascar made me think it meant watching and being a fan. Nascar watching is such an iconic pastitme that specifically using Nascar rather than some other form of racing lent me to think of the pasttime rather than racing.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
That's another thing...Nascar is socially iconic. You just made a very good point.

The skydiving picture looks like Se to me, though. I'm not sure why that picture was used as Si, even though it's one person alone. Looks like thrill of sensation to me.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Those are racing images I associate with Se. Nascar is so much more systematic and contained, like Si...they race around in a circle at a certain time at a certain place. It's just me, my mind, I'm not disagreeing with you that the impulse to race in the first place could certainly be associated with Se.

Yea, the sports I would relate more to Si is something that tends to avoid risk of possible threatening situations.
Games similar to golf, baseball, cricket, croquet, etc. All of which are not enjoyed for the physical sensation but rather the possible outcomes. Because Si as explained in my post before tends towards the subconscious upbringing of subjective covers over a particular experience. Which means someone with Si may find golf to be absolutely electrifying while the Se user would look at it all upset because the physical rush barely exists over a swing of a golf club.

The use of Nascar made me think it meant watching and being a fan. Nascar watching is such an iconic pastitme that specifically using Nascar rather than some other form of racing lent me to think of the pasttime rather than racing.
'course, similar to marm in such a case. Seeing it in a certain way.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Yea, the sports I would relate more to Si is something that tends to avoid risk of possible threatening situations.
Games similar to golf, baseball, cricket, croquet, etc. All of which are not enjoyed for the physical sensation but rather the possible outcomes. Because Si as explained in my post before tends towards the subconscious upbringing of subjective covers over a particular experience. Which means someone with Si may find golf to be absolutely electrifying while the Se user would look at it all upset because the physical rush barely exists over a swing of a golf club.

That's exactly what my ISTJ thinks, and a point I was attempting to make earlier about things like tennis and golf (he played baseball in high school and plays tennis now). All of those sports you named also seem more Si to me.

From the point of view of someone with my mind WATCHING, Nascar isn't that interesting for me to watch, it's extremely dull...where as watching someone do skateboarding tricks, perform crazy stunts (like Jackass), or do dance routines is very interesting. I also think it's more interesting to watch baseball, though, than golf or Nascar. Golf and Nascar are two of the most boring things on the planet to watch, and golf also seems boring to even play.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
'course, similar to marm in such a case. Seeing it in a certain way.

There is a difference between an image of Nascar and some other car racing. The same way I would differentiate between an image of a pickup baseball game and a picture of a MLB game inside a stadium.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
That's exactly what my ISTJ thinks, and a point I was attempting to make earlier about things like tennis and golf (he played baseball in high school and plays tennis now). All of those sports you named also seem more Si to me.

From the point of view of someone with my mind WATCHING, Nascar isn't that interesting for me to watch, it's extremely dull...where as watching someone do skateboarding tricks, perform crazy stunts (like Jackass), or do dance routines is very interesting. I also think it's more interesting to watch baseball, though, than golf or Nascar. Golf and Nascar are two of the most boring things on the planet to watch, and golf also seems boring to even play.
Oh certainly you find that Se users tend to enjoy having a look at thrilling things because they want the thrill of the ride themselves. I'd assume nascar tends to highlight it's benefit options towards the viewers in difference to the excitement factor of the drivers themselves which I suppose is quite how the business works. Mostly for inclination of monetary gain. Yes, I can understand the Si you see in it. But will other people take it in such a way?

There is a difference between an image of Nascar and some other car racing. The same way I would differentiate between an image of a pickup baseball game and a picture of a MLB game inside a stadium.
Ah yes, marm made that quite apparent. The real question at such a point is if others will notice that difference in pictorial view. The assumption still goes that more people who view the image will adhere it to the experience of racing rather than the popular venture in it's perception of the general population. And of course whether the OP meant it as the former it may still cause confusion in what others see. I'm doubting it's the best example simply because it's an image you must see within the image to adhere it to Si.

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
Oh certainly you find that Se users tend to enjoy having a look at thrilling things because they want the thrill of the ride themselves. I'd assume nascar tends to highlight it's benefit options towards the viewers in difference to the excitement factor of the drivers themselves which I suppose is quite how the business works. Mostly for inclination of monetary gain. Yes, I can understand the Si you see in it. But will other people take it in such a way?

Ah yes, marm made that quite apparent. The real question at such a point is if others will notice that difference in pictorial view. The assumption still goes that more people who view the image will adhere it to the experience of racing rather than the popular venture in it's perception of the general population. And of course whether the OP meant it as the former it may still cause confusion in what others see. I'm doubting it's the best example simply because it's an image you must see within the image to adhere it to Si.

Maybe Nascar is a bad example all the way around because some people are going to view it as Si and others as Se, depending on their perception of Nascar.

I automatically compare it with more "exciting" forms of racing, as I already said, which poses a problem, though I do see how from your perspective taking such risks in the first place as a driver seems more Se.

Oaky

Travelling mind
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Maybe Nascar is a bad example all the way around because some people are going to view it as Si and others as Se, depending on their perception of Nascar.

I automatically compare it with more "exciting" forms of racing, as I already said, which poses a problem, though I do see how from your perspective taking such risks in the first place as a driver seems more Se.
Indeed. Pictures need to give a clear set way in which we would be able to see it for what it is rather than getting a little confused. But it can't be too difficult I'd suppose to pick out extreme abstracts.

Noon

SI DOMS, TO THE BATMOBILE! SHOW US WHAT YOUR MIND LOOKS LIKE!!!

dCf3u.jpg

Imagine that instead of album artworks you have snapshots of specific objects, shapes, sounds, colors, words, passages, concepts*, and/or whole experiences. And they're labeled just like the white line at the bottom. You don't actually see them like this via Si though, because it's an exercise in feeling (instinct, not necessarily emotion). Your memory is what will provide the images. :p

The snapshots evoke nuanced but strong and discernible feelings, and each evocation will be as unique as the different snapshots themselves. You can scroll through them just the same, too! But for the most part, the wheel will automatically change to a snapshot that is triggered by whatever you happen to be interacting with at the time. Sometimes more than one - and fast.

When you click, instead of tracks you will get lines of past thoughts or central keywords - maybe even more images.

In any case, your attention will have almost immediately been directed away from the trigger and onto your snapshots. What that snapshot evokes is how you will react to that trigger.

If you zoom out, it will start to look something like this:

0ZEhv.jpg

But that's just Si undiluted. Si once it's with Ne means you also want all new things to connect to your core shots. As you're getting older, things start to look a little more like this:

Ujaxc.jpg

mj2I1.jpg

The trunk is experience stacked upon experience stacked upon experience. The branches are newly introduced concepts, and they're stuck somewhere along that trunk of stacked experiences - wherever they happen to smoothly fit - along with all things that branch off from the branches' branches.

Actually, I'm almost certain that a Si dom will be flexible as long as what new concept you're introducing is similar to something that they've directly felt (experienced). At least, it would become "the same thing" in my mind, because "thing" (object) is not paramount as it is with Se - "internal experience" is what feels important.

You know how Ne will take a look at the world and see a stream of conceptual meanings in addition to 3-D objects? I feel that Si is like that too, except the meanings are not as free-flowing.

More like a pond than a stream.

And it is all completely personal, not built upon verifiable abstract qualities as it is with Ne. It is directly connected to whatever went on in you internally while that experience was being experienced.

Here's a crazy (and probably bad) example of wearing Si dom glasses!
A child is drowning for the first time ever. As he's going down, the sun's reflection is shimmering along the waves and he starts to see what looks like orbs of dancing light. Despite what else is going on, for some reason, this boy feels a strong internal peace and calm as he's watching the lights. The "dance" is mesmerizing. He begins to think of angels. To top it all off, when his rescuer reaches down to pull him up, his (rescuer's) hands came right through the center of the lights, solidifying this association in his mind.

Years later, the family is sitting around the fireplace where the fire is moving in a way that looks like it's "dancing". To the relatives, the whole fire is just a fire. But when the boy sees the fire, he focuses primarily on that "dancing" aspect and also "sees" and thinks of angels once more. Watching the fire now and thinking about the angels again, he starts to feel what he felt before, and he may begin to treasure the fire as a result. He may instinctively "just know" all the ways in which the fire's dancing is similar or different to the sun's dancing depending on what feelings he's getting. All this, while meanwhile, his family is simply enjoying the entire fire's warmth and glow.

In any case, fire, dancing lights, and so on will probably never again be just fire or just lights to this boy. At least, he won't react in that way. As a Si dom, he views things through his personal experiences and the unique meanings derived from them.

(Sorry for all this writing!)

jixmixfix

Permabanned

LOL @ nascar being contained...it's the one of most dangerous reckless and destructive sports, the only difference is it's easier driving wise because the drivers are going left all the time. Micheal Schumacher one of the best Formula 1 racing drivers of all time is ISTJ. Si doesn't mean "basic".

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
righttt.....

No they really don't. You must be incredibly ignorant about the Jungian functions to think people "must do sports" or "must do aesthetics" with Se...Se and Si are functional ATTITUDES. LENSES FOR SEEING THE WORLD. NOT SHIRTS YOU TRY ON TO DO DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES.

How absurd.

jixmixfix

Permabanned
No they really don't. You must be incredibly ignorant about the Jungian functions to think people "must do sports" or "must do aesthetics" with Se...Se and Si are functional ATTITUDES. LENSES FOR SEEING THE WORLD. NOT SHIRTS YOU TRY ON TO DO DIFFERENT ACTIVITIES.

How absurd.

You use those functions in the things that you, AKA FUNCTIONS your functioning a certain way. functioning requires using your brain to do something, whether it's thinking or sensing etc. The activities require using certain cognitive functions, that's why everybody uses all 8 functions and only a few are dom functions.