• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Things Romantic Movies Get Wrong About Relationships

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Does art imitate life or does life imitate art? The things romantic movies get wrong, imo are often based on how I "expect" real romances not to be. So if I go into the movie thinking, these kinds of things dont happen, this is fake, etc, it's all I'm gonna be fixated on. I may enjoy the film, but I'll never really give it a chance because, well "It's just so unrealistic" Inversely if I go into the relationship with no expectations beyond this is a person I feel a connection with, and just don't over think it. I'm often surprised at how much life, romance, tragedy etc, all feel like stories.

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I wonder if anyone can think of any movies that get it right?

Depends on what you mean by getting it right. Just from reading over the comments here, I think we all have different ideas about what a good romantic movie would look like (or if it's even possible for a romantic movie to be good).

Yuurei

Noncompliant
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w7
What always bugged me about romantic movies were that no matter how badly or how many times the guy fucked up he could always make up for it and get the girl with some lame speech. Nope. That doesn't actually work.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
What always bugged me about romantic movies were that no matter how badly or how many times the guy fucked up he could always make up for it and get the girl with some lame speech. Nope. That doesn't actually work.
How about movies in which the girl tries to get the guy?

Lark

Does anyone think about how the protagonists in all the comedies about single life actually have more game than Highlander.

And that is kind of impossible.