• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Beginning Yoga Questions

tkae.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I found a 30 Day Yoga Challenge that seems pretty friendly to beginners, and I've always wanted to try yoga. I'm trying to get more fit and recommit to my weight loss, so I decided to start the challenge.

I have a few questions for people who do yoga, specifically people who do yoga and also run.

1.) I'm making sure to do the easier variations that the videos give the option of, but I'm still jumping into a fresh activity from the couch potato position. How do you tell the difference between the regular pain and soreness of starting yoga with muscle strain? Especially when you're doing a regiment that challenges you to go to the mat each day. I wouldn't be as worried about muscle strain if I were giving myself rest periods, but I also haven't found too much information about beginners starting with daily yoga routines. How do you know you're going too hard and fast versus being ambitious and challenging yourself in a healthy way?

2.) The exercise I've mostly done before now is running. I'm still pretty out of shape, but I can at least do a mile. How do I balance improving my running times and duration with a daily yoga routine? Right now I'm warming up with some basic poses before the warm up walk, then relaxing with some easier poses after I'm done. But I don't want this to be a long term thing, I want to be able to do both without either impacting the other too much.

3.) Is it true that doing yoga while sore helps the soreness? Starting out, I read that continuing yoga will help condition the soreness away. In some parts of my body that's been the case (wrists, shoulders, lower legs). In others, I'm still sore two days later (left ass cheek, obliques, hamstrings, and upper back). Those have always been my weaker areas, so I'm not surprised those are the ones giving me problems now. Is it a good policy to keep at it with a sense of caution, or should I treat it all soreness as a sign to give a rest day? Would I therefor be treating yoga like strength training rather than a cardio routine?