• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Cluster headaches

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
It was during second year at university, when I turned 20, that I started getting these persistent headaches that wouldn't go away. I'd investigated, and discovered there's one particular type of headaches known as *cluster headaches*, also known as suicide headaches because of their extreme severity, apparently. Mine weren't nearly as severe, however, they bothered me a lot! It was like my right eye/temple area (where the pain took place) would feel cramped a little momentarily, and then settle down with sharp pain! Keeping physically active was obviously the solution, as it would make the pain vanish away, but since most people I'd observed were settling for the more laid back lifestyles, I found myself having to make the same choice. I've been taking it easier since, but the pain hasn't gone away. It's still here. Some times, on rare occasions, the pain would transmit down to my neck, and shoulder (on the right side, that is). It's not a common health issue; approximately 1 in 1,000 people get cluster headaches, and again, I don't think mine are nearly as bad as said. They just made me feel crap for making me deal with them as an issue. What do you know about cluster headaches? Do you know any one who have them? How do you deal with a loved one who suffers from them?

cluster-headaches-prevention-300x225.jpg

CLUSTER HEADACHES

Atomic Fiend

Last one I had was last year, it caught me by surprise at 3am. I woke up in horrible pain and couldn't muster up any words but I knew I felt I had to go to the hospital immediately. My aunt came by and by that time it went but she decided to stay with me. Prior to that they used to plague me during the summer time. I hope this summer is better.

I really don't know what to do about them.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
I really don't know what to do about them.

Same; unless you keep regularly active (as I'd figured for my problem), they're always going to stay. You can just keep yourself focused on activities, and hope hours pass by without giving in to the pain. They're a nightmare when I get into arguments with family members, because the pain can get so bad, all I could do is just walk away.

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ouch. :-( I know one person who has them, and she uses an oxygen tank when they hit. Breathing pure oxygen apparently helps. Have you talked to a doc? There might be other medical treatments available...

Actually, this might be the kind of headaches I get. I get sharp, one-sided headaches in my eye/temple area, and painkillers don't usually help. I always just thought they were bad, chronic headaches. But a lot of the description sounds like my headaches. I don't think mine are as severe, but they frequently last overnight, which sucks.

AOA

♣️♦️♠️♥️
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
Ouch. :-( I know one person who has them, and she uses an oxygen tank when they hit. Breathing pure oxygen apparently helps. Have you talked to a doc? There might be other medical treatments available...

Yea, I know about the oxygen. I've talked to the doctor during mid-'07 about it; but I wasn't sure what the pain was at the time. I was prescribed paracetamol for the problem, instead, which some what worked. Eventually, I just got used to it; and moved on.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
I get minor cluster headaches, seem to flair up during times of stress and when I'm cold. Never wanted to kill myself because of them but I have wanted to throw up from them they always appear right above my right eye. I didn't think anything of them until this thread though so I don't know. and some times my vision gets blotchy in the eye it's above.

Ingrid in grids

Thanks for posting. I didn't know these had a name. I experience them about once a week (ish). I was discussing these earlier with someone who said they experience them too. It always begins just behind my eye, or just behind my brow/a little lower. The pain then moves across to the side of my head. Sometimes it either travels down from there, or further to the back of the head.

Atomic Fiend

I don't know, these sound more like different types migraines then cluster headaches. With Migraine headaches I feel a ton of pain but it's manageable, cluster headaches usually result with me going to the hospital and confusing the staff. One time I recall a nurse taking my blood pressure and telling me that it was close to whats seen in a man running a marathon.