• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Wilhelm Reich

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has anyone here ever read any Wilhelm Reich?

Any recomendations? I'm interested in The Mass Psychology of Fascism as well as Character Analysis. Are those good ones to start off with?

Mole

Permabanned
I would say Character Analysis is his best book. The rest didn't pan out so well.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would say Character Analysis is his best book. The rest didn't pan out so well.

For political reasons, not because he was wrong or right.

Mole

Permabanned
For political reasons, not because he was wrong or right.
Could be. After all he was an anti-fascist when fascists were taking over Europe.He died from lack of medical care in an American jail under trumped up charges.

Mole

Permabanned
I have done Reichian Therapy with the Reichian therapist, Lara Amber, trained at the Radix Institute, New Mexico.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I have done Reichian Therapy with the Reichian therapist, Lara Amber, trained at the Radix Institute, New Mexico.

Did she straighten out your libido? Or was it something else she needed to straighten out?

Lark

Has anyone here ever read any Wilhelm Reich?

Any recomendations? I'm interested in The Mass Psychology of Fascism as well as Character Analysis. Are those good ones to start off with?

Character Analysis is great, plus free of the Orgone, mystic orgasm energy stuff, I also would really recommend The Murder of Jesus Christ and Listen, Little Man!

I really like Reich, especially the more Marxist stuff but I do think he was traumatized and made ill, I dont know if the Feds drove him mad like Abbie Hoffman but someone did. The whole masturbating in a portaloo to regenerate the cosmic energy flows stuff is just crackpot quackry if ever there was crackpot quakery.

Then again if you read it in some ways it is eros, libido etc. as hypothesised by Freud taken to a logical extreme.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Character Analysis is great, plus free of the Orgone, mystic orgasm energy stuff, I also would really recommend The Murder of Jesus Christ and Listen, Little Man!

I really like Reich, especially the more Marxist stuff but I do think he was traumatized and made ill, I dont know if the Feds drove him mad like Abbie Hoffman but someone did. The whole masturbating in a portaloo to regenerate the cosmic energy flows stuff is just crackpot quackry if ever there was crackpot quakery.

Then again if you read it in some ways it is eros, libido etc. as hypothesised by Freud taken to a logical extreme.

The orgone stuff doesn't seem that bad, it is an extention of Freud's theories and that's what I like about it, but it isn't the most interesting aspect of his work IMO, though I've yet to explore his work.

The libraries in Brussels have some of his works but not Character Analysis. I just don't wanna pay €20 or more for it, since that's the price it's being sold for online.

Anyways, the consenus seems to on Character Analysis. Based on reviews I've read it does seem to be his best work, too.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

What did it consist of, if you don't mind my asking?

And was it effective?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Incorrect. It is not Freud taken to a logical extreme. Freud did not see it that way either, as he did not believe that human sexuality was the only factor involved in deriving the causes of neuroses. They also differed in their theories of what constituted sexual maturity.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The orgone stuff doesn't seem that bad, it is an extention of Freud's theories and that's what I like about it, but it isn't the most interesting aspect of his work IMO, though I've yet to explore his work.

The libraries in Brussels have some of his works but not Character Analysis. I just don't wanna pay €20 or more for it, since that's the price it's being sold for online.

Anyways, the consenus seems to on Character Analysis. Based on reviews I've read it does seem to be his best work, too.

You might find it in the internet library located at Internet Archive: Digital Library of Free & Borrowable Books, Movies, Music & Wayback Machine.

Mole

Permabanned
The dissonance between anti-fascist Reich and fascist Jung is only matched by the consonance of mbti.

We are deaf to the dissonance and believe the lie of consonance.

Fascism is the seductive lie of consonance while liberal democracy is dissonant.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The dissonance between anti-fascist Reich and fascist Jung is only matched by the consonance of mbti.

Fascism is the seductive lie of consonance while liberal democracy is dissonant.

Mole, I think you're confusing things here.

I don't think Jung was a fascist, I'm aware of those accusations, but I just don't think there's any basis to it except that he was Swiss and Switzerland was a neutral country during the war, and Jung seemed to follow that line. And even if he was, it isn't a reason to dismiss his work, not anymore than Heidegger should be dismissed because of his sympathy for nazis.

Also, as far as Reich goes, I seriosuly doubt he would have approved of what you call liberal democracy, he was a revolutionary communist, not a liberal democrat or even a social democrat.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Incorrect. It is not Freud taken to a logical extreme. Freud did not see it that way either, as he did not believe that human sexuality was the only factor involved in deriving the causes of neuroses. They also differed in their theories of what constituted sexual maturity.

Yeah, Freud also considered the death instinct a driving factor of neurosis, not just the life instinct (which he equated with sex drive more or less).

Mole

Permabanned
What is difficult to digest is that Jung's psychosis was systematically concealed from his followers for more than seventy years.

Now that we know, we continue to follow Jung. What does this say about us?

It says we have no integrity.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
What is difficult to digest is that Jung's psychosis was systematically concealed from his followers for more than seventy years.

Now that we know, we continue to follow Jung. What does this say about us?

It says we have no integrity.

Not to mention Reich's idiopathic narcissism.

Typh0n

clever fool
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The question is can we get back on topic? ;)

Mole, I do appreciate your contributions to this thread, but now you're just derailing.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The important question is what are we concealing on typology central?

I don't know, what are you concealing on typology central?

Lark

Citation needed.