• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is the world set up for the mentally ill?

Lark

No clue I only saw her once. Immediately after the session I switched therapists.

She was young though. Maybe like 26/27 to my 19 at the time. And seemed to like feel that one size fit all when it came to therapy and just didnt know how to deal with... different.

I will say I threw a ton of philosophical bs at her though that I think made her uncomfortable.

But yeah. Not all therapists are good. And thats sad really. Not all therapists are good but like... I really think the awful ones do a ton of damage.

I've only known therapists which could be ineffective as opposed to alienating like the one you mention, and when I say ineffective that's probably not the right word, I suppose I've just known amazing, super goods and ones which are a lot more average, I guess.

A lot of the time I think that therapy can be answering needs which just about anyone would experience and that society is not great at providing for anymore, as opposed to more specialized, which it should be for persons with specific needs like what Prp mentioned.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
I've only known therapists which could be ineffective as opposed to alienating like the one you mention, and when I say ineffective that's probably not the right word, I suppose I've just known amazing, super goods and ones which are a lot more average, I guess.

A lot of the time I think that therapy can be answering needs which just about anyone would experience and that society is not great at providing for anymore, as opposed to more specialized, which it should be for persons with specific needs like what Prp mentioned.

Yes this therapist I sort of felt bad for because I bet the vast majority of people she saw were coming in for things like exam stress and problems with their boyfriend- which might actually respond to ‘just tjhink happy thoughts’

So I do think thay for some people, she would have been great- its just that not everyone specializes in everything- so you just have to be careful.

Like all doctors I suppose. Some are better than others.

But seeing a bad therapist can... just suck. I mean. For a lot of people it takes a lot to get to the point where theyll even consider seeing someone- and if that someone sucks... well. I wonder how many people who could have gotten help stopped after disappointment from that

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
The world simultaneously creates mental illness, and shuns it.

Luminous

༻✧✧༺
MBTI Type
Iᑎᖴᑭ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But seeing a bad therapist can... just suck. I mean. For a lot of people it takes a lot to get to the point where theyll even consider seeing someone- and if that someone sucks... well. I wonder how many people who could have gotten help stopped after disappointment from that

It's no wonder it takes so long for some people to get actual help.

Fairly recently I went to a therapist who was mediocre at understanding what I was going through, but who was extremely paranoid about payment. It was to go through my insurance, but he was so worried that he wanted me to pay before that and was a real jerk about it. Seriously, who wants to see a therapist who doesn't trust them?

Magnus

MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
I say it's not I think people like to pretend it is but the fact is even if you try to mold the world into what works for you people will always look at you as less than or lazy. People expect if you look "normal" that you should be able to work 40 hour weeks. bitch please i look normal because i try to keep my stressors low and take meds. I know that based on school (I only go part time, tried full time couldn't do it) that i may never be able to work full time, It sucks. Anyways what's your opinion on if the world is set up for the mentally ill. do you think stigma is actually lessening. I don't think it is I think people can be more open but there's still that judgement of why can't you just stop being lazy?
I do think the stigma of mental illness is lessening... and I don't know if that's altogether a good thing.

For starters, they say Millennials may be the most mentally ill generation per capita in history. I find that easy to believe for various reasons.

But regardless, mental illness by definition is an aberration. A society cannot function to its fullest if its progress is continually impeded by those with severe and abnormal deficiencies. The number of accommodations American society currently makes for the abnormal will eventually cause harm to the normal. The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few... and I would think that's especially true when the many in this context are the normal.

I know somebody with a rare medical conditions which makes their bones extremely fragile. Remember Mr. Glass from Unbreakable? Same condition. This person has broken bones many times and now suffers from PTSD to such an extent that they cannot watch movies where people suffer broken bones. They know damn good and well that a Batman movie, for example, will probably show someone getting bones broken. But rather than avoid that type of movie (which is the normal thing to do), this fool petitions the movie studio to make Batman movies where nobody's bones get broken. That way, they can watch a Batman movie without getting triggered.

Apart from being completely fucking retarded, it affects the rest of society who don't suffer from this mental illness (eg, PTSD) and it affects their options in ways they did not choose for themselves or have any role in at all. Batman movies are a small thing, granted. However, Batman movies (or any kind of action movie) are products of the culture which created them and, in some way, reflect the ideas of that culture. If this nitwit's efforts are successful, American culture will change in some small way.

I should add that petitioning movie studios to depict zero bone-breaks isn't the only action this freak does.

I realize that demanding accommodation for the mentally ill is the warm, fuzzy thing to do. Primarily because very few people (apart from assholes like me) will criticize that type of behavior. It's risk-free virtue signaling but the long term ramifications of taking such ridiculous measures to accommodate the abnormal, mentally ill will eventually cause serious problems for America.

That is, if it hasn't already caused serious problems for America.

If you're an American, look around you. Does your society seem normal to you?

I ask because I think it looks pretty fucking insane, myself.