• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What's with all the denying of reality, gaslighting etc?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Has this always been a very prevalent or common thing for people to do if they want undermine someone's sense of self worth or the like? I just keep running into individuals who try to play mind games, gas light me, or just to "block out" "ignore" "pretend not to notice" practically everything that isn't pertaining to getting drunk, sex, or television.

What is with this?

It's driving me nuts.

I was at a government institution today and the bias, agenda was very obvious and the employee I was speaking to kept repeating things, backtracking midway through a topic of discussion to try and derail, change the point, confuse me, and then pretending like (even though it was very basic) I wasn't making any sense or he couldn't understand what I was saying and just kept repeating himself over and over again.

I am finding this to be a very common phenomena and it's really disheartening and aggravating.

When did it become the norm when you don't like someone to just go "oh, I'm gonna gaslight the crap out of that guy" (or just skirt around an issue, try to change topic, etc)

I find it out too, that apparently the majority of people who do it are predominately psychopath's yet it's one of the most common tactics I have ever used. Can people just not be upfront with their beliefs or where they stand?

Apparently not. It's really obvious guy.

I'm guessing no one here cares though, as much of the posters here have come to make me expect.

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Has this always been a very prevalent or common thing for people to do if they want undermine someone's sense of self worth or the like? I just keep running into individuals who try to play mind games, gas light me, or just to "block out" "ignore" "pretend not to notice" practically everything that isn't pertaining to getting drunk, sex, or television.

What is with this?

It's driving me nuts.

I was at a government institution today and the bias, agenda was very obvious and the employee I was speaking to kept repeating things, backtracking midway through a topic of discussion to try and derail, change the point, confuse me, and then pretending like (even though it was very basic) I wasn't making any sense or he couldn't understand what I was saying and just kept repeating himself over and over again.

I am finding this to be a very common phenomena and it's really disheartening and aggravating.

When did it become the norm when you don't like someone to just go "oh, I'm gonna gaslight the crap out of that guy" (or just skirt around an issue, try to change topic, etc)

I find it out too, that apparently the majority of people who do it are predominately psychopath's yet it's one of the most common tactics I have ever used. Can people just not be upfront with their beliefs or where they stand?

Apparently not. It's really obvious guy.

More traditional gaslighting happens in social circumstances or relational contexts. It's a great way to muddy reality so that the other party is disempowered to change the relationship in some way -- like maybe leaving the relationship or gaining more ground.

On a larger level, it's more about controlling the media and/or bombarding people with so much information / targeted information that might or might not be true that people who want to be fair / open become befuddled and don't know what to believe.

Similar concepts, just one is a bit more personal.

I'm guessing no one here cares though, as much of the posters here have come to make me expect.
Lol. "Maybe if I make a purposefully erroneous assumption about people's motivations in not posting (and yeah you all suck, I expect little from you!), that will annoy them enough to respond"?

Blackout

Permabanned
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Oh look more gaslighting. All my posts, what can I say? I'm a blatant mouthbreathing retard with no ability to perceive reality what so ever.

What are they hiding? what are they hiding? Hey, does TypoC like to masqueraded as an open minded website when in actuality it's the opposite to just trick unsuspecting victims to come here eager to discuss complex topics only to be shut out completely, trolled, and then ostracized and gas-lighted?
http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...vents/81268-trump-2016-a-173.html#post2712336

Hey, I think Stormfront.org shares a lot in common with this website!

YEAH!!!

Way to be a giant festering dung heap of intellectual waste that stifles any and all real thought. It's all just a bunch of circle-jerking of the same opinions over and over again. Like man, what's the point even? fuck this place. "Aggressive posting" oh no, here's so of my blatantly aggressive posting (how can you know over the internet, what the fuck?)
[MENTION=27162]Cloudpatrol[/MENTION]

No wonder you love Vancouver and you love this website

LET'S JUST KILL 'EM ALL, RIGHT GUYS!!?? KILL 'EM ALL YEAH!!!! LIKE THE NAZI's

[MENTION=6561]OrangeAppled[/MENTION]

I was really nice to you, and you have to completely put me down and tell me everything I think or say is simply because I'm a four and I just want to be unique? yeah THAT'S ALL IT IS. Thanks alot, there is a large weed growing out of your heart, it's barren like the desert and hasn't seen the sun in a very long time.

BURN ALL THE BOOKS.

BURN ALL THEM BOOKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hey, the only way to have a fascist dictatorship is to suppressed all free thought which would basically be anything remotely intellectual leaning and stifle any possibly for intelligence to adequately be expressed all together.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Most people don't consciously gaslight others. It's a subconscious defense intended to allow the gaslighter to hold onto their version of reality. You're never going to find anyone who will admit to being a gaslighter. That's what makes it insidious.

Mole

Permabanned
It seems you are concerned with the denying of your reality, when perhaps you might realise others have their own reality. And just as you want your reality acknowledged, they want their reality acknowledged.

However narcissism is very common here and just as narcissists don't acknowledge the reality of others, it is unlikely to have your reality acknowledged here.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
The thing is, for most things until the time comes, I'm never really certain of everything.

I tend to think whatever I do is worthless (not consciously), and I'm trying to live.

I feel like I take people's air...

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
200w.gif

Mole

Permabanned
Many of us come here with hopes of being heard but we become disappointed.

As a result of disappointment some us become frustrated, and as a result of our frustration some of us become angry. And as a result of our anger, we leave Typology Central in high dudgeon.

But the fact for most of us here is the no-one is going to listen to us. In fact no one here practises active listening.

The very best we can hope for on Typology Central is to feel the same as others. And feeling the same not being listened to.

So if we can get over our disappointment, and not be seduced into feeling the same as, what is left for us?

geedoenfj

The more you know..
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
'Cause why not :glasses:
Because the abuser is narcissistic, and it depends on the goal the abuser wants to reach, each case is different..

Pionart

MBTI Type
NiFe
It seems you are concerned with the denying of your reality, when perhaps you might realise others have their own reality. And just as you want your reality acknowledged, they want their reality acknowledged.

However narcissism is very common here and just as narcissists don't acknowledge the reality of others, it is unlikely to have your reality acknowledged here.

"What is it that you are so afreud of?"

lol

Litsnob

I could be wrong but I don't think gaslighting is quite the right term for this. It seems you encounter people who either disagree with you or ignore you. Gaslighting is a deliberate attempt to make you believe that you are wrong or deluded and to gain power over you as you increasingly doubt yourself. I experienced it long term in a marriage. It was subtle and it accumulated over time. It's true that one strategy was to frequently tell me I was wrong and to argue with everything or try to make me feel guilty. It was highly manipulative but it worked because i was invested. I was married and had a child and a mortgage and a whole created life that was at stake. I don't see how people here need to gain power over you. They may not like you and may be demonstrating that. Or maybe what you hoped to get from this site just isn't likely.

Mole

Permabanned
I could be wrong but I don't think gaslighting is quite the right term for this. It seems you encounter people who either disagree with you or ignore you. Gaslighting is a deliberate attempt to make you believe that you are wrong or deluded and to gain power over you as you increasingly doubt yourself. I experienced it long term in a marriage. It was subtle and it accumulated over time. It's true that one strategy was to frequently tell me I was wrong and to argue with everything or try to make me feel guilty. It was highly manipulative but it worked because i was invested. I was married and had a child and a mortgage and a whole created life that was at stake. I don't see how people here need to gain power over you. They may not like you and may be demonstrating that. Or maybe what you hoped to get from this site just isn't likely.

This is not site where we listen to each other, almost no one here is trained in active listening, and no one has received empathy training, rather it is a narcissistic free for all, we compete to get our voices heard and no one listens.

This is a site where egos battle one another. Where we seek one to dominate the other. The best we can hope for is someone who shares the same ideas we do, and the same feelings. The best we can hope for is a popular conformity.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
This is not site where we listen to each other, almost no one here is trained in active listening, and no one has received empathy training, rather it is a narcissistic free for all, we compete to get our voices heard and no one listens.

This is a site where egos battle one another. Where we seek one to dominate the other. The best we can hope for is someone who shares the same ideas we do, and the same feelings. The best we can hope for is a popular conformity.

Do you have any recommendations for active listening?

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Because most people are fucking weak, scared little babies and will prefer to live in willful ignorance of uncomfortable topics and truths. Because we're the sort of species that wants to ignore our biggest problems or at best put bandaids on them, then when we have a chance to effect change in democratic nations, people are too stupid to care about the actual process or any meaningful change and only want to participate in a 2 to 4 year (or any democratic nation's election cycle) popularity contest where we treat the whole thing like sports playoffs; they don't want to be bothered with the proceedings between elections, unless it's a sex scandal or something.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Many of us come here with hopes of being heard but we become disappointed.

As a result of disappointment some us become frustrated, and as a result of our frustration some of us become angry. And as a result of our anger, we leave Typology Central in high dudgeon.

But the fact for most of us here is the no-one is going to listen to us. In fact no one here practises active listening.

The very best we can hope for on Typology Central is to feel the same as others. And feeling the same not being listened to.

So if we can get over our disappointment, and not be seduced into feeling the same as, what is left for us?

Holy-- this is EXACTLY what I've noticed in all my time here! It used to drive me nuts - I had even left TypoC a couple of times because of this sense of isolation and loneliness I felt from it - but now I realize that I haven't been enough of an active listener either.

Thanks for putting this in clear terms Mole :hifive: I don't know if I'll ever be listened to on here, but I'll personally try better to be an active listener for the sake of others. :)

Mole

Permabanned
Empathy Training on Typology Central

Do you have any recommendations for active listening?

Sure, I have done some empathy training, and on an earlier occasion I tried to set up an empathy training thread, but I had no takers.

At first empathy training is like learning the piano, it is like learning the scales. So we practise until we get it. In the beginning it can seem like we are getting nowhere, but as we keep practising, the fundamentals are becoming second nature. And once we have got it, we can stop practising the scales, and listen to one another.

And I believe empathy training can be successfully carried out on a thread on Typology Central.
[MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION]

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm glad those years are done. #2017

thepink-cloakedninja

Marshmallow Heart
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Sure, I have done some empathy training, and on an earlier occasion I tried to set up an empathy training thread, but I had no takers.

At first empathy training is like learning the piano, it is like learning the scales. So we practise until we get it. In the beginning it can seem like we are getting nowhere, but as we keep practising, the fundamentals are becoming second nature. And once we have got it, we can stop practising the scales, and listen to one another.

And I believe empathy training can be successfully carried out on a thread on Typology Central.

[MENTION=16650]Morning Star[/MENTION]
[MENTION=15392]Cellmold[/MENTION]

If you start a thread on this, will you tag me? :)