• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Criticism of Hippies

Many people who have jobs like lawyers, engineers, doctors, etc people in the "professional class" tend to be fairly critical of hippies. But the hippies have an odd habit of being right. For example the hippies saw that the Earth was being destroyed in the 1970s and that action needed to be taken to protect it, they saw that animals could feel pain when many veterinarians of the time were arguing that animals could not, in fact in many other respects the hippies were right:

I'm talking about, say, energy-efficient light bulbs. I'm looking at organic foods going mainstream. I mean chemical-free cleaning products widely available at Target and I'm talking saving the whales and protecting the dolphins and I mean yoga studios flourishing in every small town, giant boxes of organic cereal at Costco and non-phthalates dildos at Good Vibes and the Toyota Prius becoming the nation's oddest status symbol. You know, good things.

Look around: we have entire industries devoted to recycled paper, a new generation of cheap solar-power technology and an Oscar for "An Inconvenient Truth" and even the soulless corporate monsters over at famously heartless joints like Wal-Mart are now claiming that they really, really care about saving the environment because, well, "it's the right thing to do" (read: It's purely economic and all about their bottom line because if they don't start caring they'll soon be totally screwed on manufacturing and shipping costs at/from all their brutal Chinese sweatshops).

There is but one conclusion you can draw from the astonishing (albeit fitful, bittersweet) pro-environment sea change now happening in the culture and (reluctantly, nervously) in the halls of power in D.C., one thing we must all acknowledge in our our wary, jaded, globally warmed universe: The hippies had it right all along. Oh yes they did.

The Hippies Were Right! | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community

Now, do not get me wrong, I do think the hippies have some strange beliefs that may be suspect, like water births, opposition to vaccines, etc, but what is it about the psychology of hippies that made them right? Empathy?

Virtual ghost

Complex paradigm
They realized that resources of the Earth are not endless and can't be exploated however we wish until the end of time. Therefore they have hit right into one of the biggest truths out there.

Santosha

MBTI Type
HUMR
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx
They thought life was about being happy, rather than what others thought one should be, which becomes very important if you accept that we are living in a vibrational reality.

Mole

Permabanned
There were three kinds of hippies: drug hippies, political hippies, and mystical hippies.

The drug hippies destroyed themselves in the drug culture.

And the political hippies destroyed themselves with violence.

It is only the mystical hippies who are perennial.

And this is because myticism is a tradition that goes back millennia, and stretches into the future.