• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Uncanny valley

Kas

Fabula rasa
As in the title Uncanny Valley.

Interesting fact- term The Uncanny used in aesthetics is derived from psychoanalysis. It means factor which causes unpleasant feelings, anxiety, fear because of having both familiar and unfamiliar traits.

From wiki
Mori's original hypothesis states that as the appearance of a robot is made more human, some observers' emotional response to the robot will become increasingly positive and empathic, until a point is reached beyond which the response quickly becomes that of strong revulsion. However, as the robot's appearance continues to become less distinguishable from that of a being, the emotional response becomes positive once again and approaches human-to-human empathy levels.[12]

So my question :) Have you ever experienced any unpleasant feelings watching movies about humanoid robots? Or any different example?

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i think this is a really interesting phenomenon. i feel this way with some CGI avatarish looking people. the ones who do weird stuff like have fake dinner in their fake house. i find them unsettling.

Bush

cute lil war dog
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Polar Express was creepy. We weren't ready for that kind of CGI.

á´…eparted

passages
I'm fairly certain I made a topic on this a while ago (I did!).

The Uncanny valley is really interesting to me. My "creepy register" is effectively broken, so most stuff that falls into the category doesn't creep me out. If anything I think it's cool.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The Uncanny valley is really interesting to me. My "creepy register" is effectively broken, so most stuff that falls into the category doesn't creep me out. If anything I think it's cool.

My creepy register works differently than others. I do notice the visual effect. Sometimes I think it's interesting if it's particularly grotesque, otherwise it's just bad fx to me.

I've experience the feeling in other context than cgi and robotics, like in rl when I meet somebody who looks strangely like somebody else, or deja vu situations, or in some engineered auditory experiences. But technically this isn't what Uncanny Valley as a term refers to.

Kas

Fabula rasa

Oops I was too lazy to search :whistling:

I heard about this idea a while ago, but now I’ve just watched “Ex Machina” and I reminded myself about it.

My reaction isn’t very unpleasant, it’s more ambivalent- disturbing, still fascinating, I can’t stop watching.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Oops I was too lazy to search :whistling:

I heard about this idea a while ago, but now I’ve just watched “Ex Machina” and I reminded myself about it.

My reaction isn’t very unpleasant, it’s more ambivalent- disturbing, still fascinating, I can’t stop watching.

Hey, I didn't watch Ex Machina, but I did hear about its production. Apparently everything you're seeing of her is done by a human performance, an actress with dancing experience, with some effects added in post production. If you're creeped out, I'm not sure it can be called Uncanny Valley but just straight out creepy.

Kas

Fabula rasa
Hey, I didn't watch Ex Machina, but I did hear about its production. Apparently everything you're seeing of her is done by a human performance, an actress with dancing experience, with some effects added in post production. If you're creeped out, I'm not sure it can be called Uncanny Valley but just straight out creepy.

I know. I read about this after watching;) her movements were planned to be unnatural to make an effect like that. And it works on me. Very impressive.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
My creepy register works differently than others. I do notice the visual effect. Sometimes I think it's interesting if it's particularly grotesque, otherwise it's just bad fx to me.

I've experience the feeling in other context than cgi and robotics, like in rl when I meet somebody who looks strangely like somebody else, or deja vu situations, or in some engineered auditory experiences. But technically this isn't what Uncanny Valley as a term refers to.

i actually think that people who've had a lot of plastic surgery or are otherwise donning a lot of artificiality can do it for me too. probably more than animated avatars, now that i think of it.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
i actually think that people who've had a lot of plastic surgery or are otherwise donning a lot of artificiality can do it for me too. probably more than animated avatars, now that i think of it.

I don't find plastic surgery attractive at all. I recognize it has legitimate uses, like for burn victims, but otherwise...

Kas

Fabula rasa
I don't find plastic surgery attractive at all. I recognize it has legitimate uses, like for burn victims, but otherwise...

Yes, plastic surgery is very useful specialty, but I'm not sure if I like where it's going.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Someday plastic surgery will get to a point where it looks completely natural. But that's never been my truck with it, it's an industry funded by a culture that wants things to be judged on 'attractiveness'.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Someday plastic surgery will get to a point where it looks completely natural. But that's never been my truck with it, it's an industry funded by a culture that wants things to be judged on 'attractiveness'.

It sucks that the culture works that way, but that happens to be the way "the rules" are set up.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It sucks that the culture works that way, but that happens to be the way "the rules" are set up.

Haha, that's such an INTP answer. It's not though, not at all, but it's very convenient to a lot of people if everybody thinks so.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Haha, that's such an INTP answer. It's not though, not at all, but it's very convenient to a lot of people if everybody thinks so.

I'm talking about on the macro level of society, not on the preferences and values of specific individuals within it. Individuals may prefer different things, but looked at in terms of group behavior, they follow the people who appear the most attractive, if not physically, then emotionally.

One place we see this play out is in politics.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

Like I expressed in the plastic surgery thread that was recently active, I really try not to judge it on principle, but I can't help but feel an averse personal reaction when I see a lot of cases of it. Just seems like not a look I personally vibe with I guess.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Like I expressed in the plastic surgery thread that was recently active, I really try not to judge it on principle, but I can't help but feel an averse personal reaction when I see a lot of cases of it. Just seems like not a look I personally vibe with I guess.

Again, I'm not knocking all cases of it. There are some instances where it might be necessary, and it may be the only viable option.

five sounds

MyPeeSmellsLikeCoffee247
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Again, I'm not knocking all cases of it. There are some instances where it might be necessary, and it may be the only viable option.

Ok this is turning into a bit of a derail, and I do apologize. But I'm saying I'm not knocking ANY cases of it. I don't feel like I can know for sure what's right for anyone.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok this is turning into a bit of a derail, and I do apologize. But I'm saying I'm not knocking ANY cases of it. I don't feel like I can know for sure what's right for anyone.

I'm an arrogant ass who does feel that way, at least about things I'm knowledgeable about. :)