• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Suddenly, money

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
I didn't have some money before, but i have now. It's 60k euros per year income at least.in minimum. Might be a bit more, 71k a year for example. Suddenly I'm contemplating a change of city, wife, family etc. Do you have ideas how I should go about my life?

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
raw

We live in interesting times...

Tomb1

60-100 k a year is like being broke. Never saw what the big deal was...

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lexicon

Temporal Mechanic
Staff member
MBTI Type
JINX
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Uhhhhhhhhhhhh a change of wife? :wtf::eeep:

Mind Maverick

ENTP 8w7 845 Sp/Sx
I interpreted this as being "contemplating a wife, family, and change of city, etc." not "change of wife/family" lol but it's a pretty funny "oops" if that's what they meant.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well my wife initiated something which might make us break up. She might go all the way. So then it's free for all for both of us. A midlife crisis if you will. I had my crisis before, and recovered, so I'm not breaking up. But, I'm not deciding. Why not let whatever happen that happens naturally. If I don't expend any effort in it, I'll end up with someone else because my wife is going for someone else.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
60-100 k a year is like being broke. Never saw what the big deal was...
:shock:

It takes me years to make that much collectively (adding up all the years) and I'm educated out the wazoo. Maybe it's just a social competitive put-down because someone stated that as a lot of money? Maybe it isn't to you, but it would be for the majority of humanity.

There is a weird culture out there of people with lots of money thinking they are in poverty. Recently someone complaining they couldn't afford a half a million dollar home. Welcome to reality.

Mole

Permabanned
Not so long ago I ran out of money, it was a little shock but I knew I could survive without money or only a little money, but to my high surprise I hunted around and found I had investments. So I cashed some of my investments and now don't have to worry about money on a day to day basis. I have found this improves my diet, and most of all it gives me time to contemplate, to think, to allow thoughts to percolate, before entering my conscious mind.

The Ancient Greeks found contemplation to be the greatest pleasure, and enough money has given me the pleasure of contemplation.

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Well my wife initiated something which might make us break up. She might go all the way. So then it's free for all for both of us. A midlife crisis if you will. I had my crisis before, and recovered, so I'm not breaking up. But, I'm not deciding. Why not let whatever happen that happens naturally. If I don't expend any effort in it, I'll end up with someone else because my wife is going for someone else.

Hum what is a 'change of family' exactly?

Lark

I take it this thread is all real? Anyway, accepting that it is and its not a stunt or some sort of swindle pretext, I'm interested in how the suddenly wealthy go on to live, I used to follow the stories of the winners of the national lottery in the UK when it was very much a new thing to see how that sudden wealth effected things.

Most of the winners wound up destitute or worse off than they had been before, sometimes only within a few years. It was not all a result of being preyed upon (by fraudsters or simply people with bad investment ideas), being too altruistic, not appreciating money as a finite resource etc.

It could be simply that the tabloids (or their readers) like a "rags to riches and then riches to rags" story, to prove something about the "easy come, easy go" idea of wealth.

What way do you think that wealth changes the out look on life and do you think sudden wealth is different to other sorts? Is it true that old money hates new money and legacies will react a certain way to it, like worse than towards people who've never had any money?

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sorry to hear this but I hope everything works out best for your situation in the end. Also congrats on your job. That's a lot of changes but you seem to be approaching things with a clear mind.

Ghost of the dead horse

filling some space
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Dude I'm drunk, I've only written to this threat while drunk. But, the matter of fact is this. My wife wants divorce. She's gonna have what she wants. No problem.

I know rich people can laugh at me how my life changes over some 60-70k euros a year, depending on how it's counted. But I'm sure the rest of the folks do understand how poverty is changed to non-poverty over having the income changed from 20k a year to 60k a year.

So if you know, you know. And if you don't, you don't. Be happy if you're the guy who always had your millions.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Dude I'm drunk, I've only written to this threat while drunk. But, the matter of fact is this. My wife wants divorce. She's gonna have what she wants. No problem.

I know rich people can laugh at me how my life changes over some 60-70k euros a year, depending on how it's counted. But I'm sure the rest of the folks do understand how poverty is changed to non-poverty over having the income changed from 20k a year to 60k a year.

So if you know, you know. And if you don't, you don't. Be happy if you're the guy who always had your millions.

Yep.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
The fact that some people *don't* comprehend how going from 20k to 50-70k/ year makes a huge change in lifestyle is incomprehensible to me. Well, ok, I take that back - it's comprehensible to me, but clearly some people are out of touch with reality for those on low incomes and the choices available as a result.

Heck, even an extra 200/month post-tax can make insane amounts of difference - and that's only.... a little over 2K more after-tax a year.

Big difference in flexibility going from 20k/year to 25k, 30k, up to 60k or so. Going from pure survival and penny pinching to having the ability to make investments or choices that enable for a better life going forward with a compounding, cumulative effect that can build upon itself is huge. Beyond that X amount where survival needs are met, savings can be accomplished, and there's extra for fun/meaningful/experiential things, any 'extra' doesn't add a significant amount of difference in terms of how life-altering it is.