• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

[Traditional Enneagram] The Dynamic Enneagram

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
While browsing another typology site, I came across an argu-rant with a premise that resonated deep within my soul of souls: the concept of the constantly evolving type.

It was very heartfelt and kind of long but the gist was that the enneagram is a system in motion and that it symbolizes a path of development that enhances our ability to live life to the fullest. Less “I am a 9” and more “I am at 9” with the expectation that the individual is *actively* striving to *be* at 3.

The concept isn’t especially unique or groundbreaking, but in practice, that aspect of the ennea appears to have been lost. With people simply trying to isolate the one (or three) types that describe them best and doing away with the ***active*** personal development part.

Fancy aside, what are your thoughts on the enneagram as a dynamic system?
Have you seen the predicted patterns of growth in your own life?
Do you think a static interpretation of the ennea is more common? More accurate?
If so, why do you that is the case?

Discuss. Thoughts?

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Let's try this again:

Do you believe core types are permanent? Or do you see core types as more dynamic?

If permanent, do you agree that the core deficits are fixed in childhood and the individual will always return to them? Or do you think the core is fixed by some other means?

If dynamic, at what point does someone become a new type? What factors do you think influence this transition?

For both, do you believe in an "end point" for enneagram? As in, some sort of state that allows the individual to break out of the loop of immature defense mechanisms? Why or why not?

SearchingforPeace

MBTI Type
ENFJ
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Ideally, we grow to reach maximum levels at all 9 points. There is a definite growth path on the system. A truly self-actualized person could be such. As we overcome the aspects of the ego holding us back, we can transcend our weaknesses......

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Ideally, we grow to reach maximum levels at all 9 points. There is a definite growth path on the system. A truly self-actualized person could be such. As we overcome the aspects of the ego holding us back, we can transcend our weaknesses......

Oh this in an interesting perspective!

What do you think the labelings represent then?

estorm

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I see one's Enneagram type as developing from a combination of factors and over several years. Here's how I am currently holding it.

At first there are genetic, heredity, and family of origin influences that may set up "most likely types".
Then as an infant we try different (instinctual) strategies for getting what we want (food, warmth, contact, etc.) and some of these strategies are more reliable than others, which in turn reinforces the ones we are more likely to try again.
By an early age we have a fairly restricted palette of strategies and responses, and here's the important part, they work pretty well.
As we get older and spend more time outside the family system, our tried and true strategies and responses don't always work so well but we are usually so convinced that they do that we don't find it easy to try other ones.
Unless some large trauma or big shift in circumstances comes along, we usually continue to reaffirm our narrow repertoire and even develop a sense of identity connected to those strategies and responses as well as how well or not they work in the larger world.
By the time we are 20 or so, our personality / ego / identity has individuated, fully formed, and sense very natural to us (to the point of projecting our way of seeing the world onto others).
And, voila, we have an Enneagram type.

After, let's say, 4 years old and earlier than, say about 20, I believe significant / extraordinary circumstances can possibly alter our type within the limited range that was available to us.
After that time I think what may be perceived as change in type is more likely learning coping skills or healthy growth allowing for a larger repertoire of choices.
I think we can use our wings more, even the non-dominant wing. We can also use strategies and responses from our points of health and stress. I also think we use strategies and responses we learn form our family system or close friends and intimates.
But none of these is a change in type, just an ability to use other strategies (more or less consciously).
I think it is a great sign of growth to be able to consciously choose which strategies and responses one wants to employ at any given time.
And as [MENTION=25377]SearchingforPeace[/MENTION] said, we can learn the positive aspects of all nine types.
But underneath all of that are strong tendencies about how we see the world and how we respond to it.
And so our type remains the same; it just has less of a grip on us.

I think I answered your question ... :blush: