• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who likes to shop??? I need a wedding dress

gromit

likes this
So I'm back on type c :hi:and need a wedding dress and all the ones I've looked at are STUPID. Maybe I just don't really like the things that are in style right now. Ha so now I have a random question...

Does anyone like online shopping?

Here are my parameters:
1) I can wear a friggin normal bra with the dress
2) it does not poof out wide at the bottom or drag behind on the ground, just a straight line to the floor and ONLY to the floor. I don't want an empire waist (because I feel like a little girl) and I don't like the mermaid/sheath style (because that is just likeHEEEY EVERYONE CHECK OUT MY BUTTTTTTTT - which normally whatever but a wedding... I wanna at least pretend to be classy :D)
3) lightly tailored through the boobs/ribs/hips and to the front hip bones and upper buttocks in the back
4) NO SPARKLES and made from a soft comfortable material - maybe cotton or lace or posssssibly chiffon
5) doesn't have a random horizontal seam across the waist requiring a bow or a sash - this one I could possibly compromise on if everything else were great
6) color almost doesn't even matter at this point... an off white would be nice but I'd take a light grey or maybe even an olive green because those are both colors I love and that look good on me. Another option could be a warm navy blue color. I can just wear a pretty white lace shawl over top and call it "bridal"

Me: fairly petite with small shoulders and normal size boobs for my body and muscular legs and butt

I Want something functional and comfortable and flattering for my body. It seems like what I want is so simple it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundred dollars but maybe it doesn't exist?????
If you do like shopping and find something you think might work per the above, please post. I will be so very grateful :heart:

Im also thinking of asking what my mom thinks about me trying on my grandmas wedding dress and having it altered - maybe sleeves (they are poofy) and maybe waist?

Edit: so I tried on my grandmothers dress. She was very small, and it looks like some of the lace shrunk over time.
However, with the exception of the lace cuffs around the arms and the lace waist (both snug) it actually fits pretty well! My moms church friend does a lot of sewing, and she had some ideas of how we could take it out to make it work. So I think I'm going to try to do it! I'm actually named after this grandmother: my middle name was her first name. THe dress is very delicate, so we are going to attach it to a liner which will give it some structural stability as well.

The cool thing is that it is homemade, you can tell by looking at the seams. My mom guesses that my great grandmother almost definitely made the dress, since she was a seamstress and could see anything from scratch just by looking at it (or a photo of it). If so it will be even more special to get to wear it!

Last edited:

gromit

likes this
Haha thanks [MENTION=5789]Beorn[/MENTION]! If I get any relevant replies I'll feel lucky!

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm with Beorn on this - I know nothing about wedding dresses, but OMG CONGRATS!!! :yays: :hug:

(Dunno if you recognize me btw, I used to be Angel Light 2012 and Morning Star)

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I just hate shopping - but OMG congratulations!

Stigmata

Super Moderator
Staff member
tenor.gif

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So, I really do hate to shop, and I've even always told people that I'd have a wedding ceremony over my dead body - *but* if it ever came to that I'd like my cold, dead body crammed into a Jana Starr wedding gown. An actual Jana Starr wedding dress is obvs out of the question, but if you're just looking for ideas I think you'd look pretty good in something like this:

(If you like her dresses, there's more here. And here. They don't exactly fit the criteria listed in the op, but like I said: I hate shopping. These are dresses I already knew about.)

Colors

The Destroyer
MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Okay, so Say Yes to the Dress Canada is sometimes my background doing other stuff youtube thing, so my randomish notes:
1. What you are describing a la silhouette would be known as a "column" or "a-line" dress.
2. J crew had a line of minimalist wedding and bridesmaids dresses that sound like they might be the kind of thing you might like. They discontinued it, but there's still plenty of the dresses being sold a la new or second hand around.
3. It would be helpful to know a little more about what you like stylewise. Is there a particular decade of fashion you like? Are there any pictures you see around that evoke the feeling/style you go for?
4. How do you feel about lace? Taffeta? Satin? Do you want sleeves (specify lengths), sleeveless, straps or strapless? Hem lengths? What about necklines: sweetheart, V-neck, boat, scoop, etc?
5. Also, if you prefer more simple designs, you may want to try looking at bridesmaids dresses.

Having a dress altered by a good tailor can also be very nice and is a good option if you are very particular about details/know what you want & want that something old. :)

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Congrats! I would consider your grandmothers' dress with alterations. A good seamstress/tailor can make you look fantastic.

Frosty

Poking the poodle
Instinctual Variant
sp
Congrats congrats! I dont know much about shopping so sorry for that but Im happy for you!

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Edit: so I tried on my grandmothers dress. She was very small, and it looks like some of the lace shrunk over time.
However, with the exception of the lace cuffs around the arms and the lace waist (both snug) it actually fits pretty well! My moms church friend does a lot of sewing, and she had some ideas of how we could take it out to make it work. So I think I'm going to try to do it! I'm actually named after this grandmother: my middle name was her first name. THe dress is very delicate, so we are going to attach it to a liner which will give it some structural stability as well.

The cool thing is that it is homemade, you can tell by looking at the seams. My mom guesses that my great grandmother almost definitely made the dress, since she was a seamstress and could see anything from scratch just by looking at it (or a photo of it). If so it will be even more special to get to wear it!
Congratulations, indeed. I think wearing your grandmother's dress is a great solution, if it can be made to fit and meet your style preferences. It's been awhile since I got married, but I shared many of your requirements. I bought an off-the-rack dress that went to mid-shin ("tea length"?). It had long sleeves, a collar with satin trim, and princess seams which look really good on my figure. It was ivory, and cost about $40. There are options for brides outside of what gets pushed in all the bride magazines, you just have to look and be a bit creative. Often the first strategy is to avoid anything specifically marketed to brides.

Redbone

Orisha
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I'm so late.

I think that wearing your grandmother's dress is a awesome idea! :wubbie:

Congratulations, gromit!!

Aquarelle

Starcrossed Seafarer
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Congrats!! I wish I had suggestions for you but aside from having one made, I don't. :( I looked everywhere for a cute pair of butter yellow shoes with low heels for my wedding, but they, like did not exist. Of course now I see shoes that would have worked all the time.