• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

All-Female Version of ‘Lord of the Flies’ Faces Backlash

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
So some hollywood producer ordered Virtue Signaling The Movie Part 98 to be manufactured, big deal...

At least it will probably be funnier than the new Ghostbusters.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I had no patience for the original, and cannot see how changing the characters to girls will improve it any.

I would prefer to see a gender swap in something like Star Wars or James Bond or some other well-established franchise, to help break stereotypes and show how good plots and characterization really are independent of gender.

How about a gender swap of Beaches, or an all female version of Reservoir Dogs? The Godmother, parts 1 2 and 3? Personally I miss movies about normal people behaving like normal people, and I'm not alone. There's enough biological differences between the sexes to maintain a "most girls x" and "most guys y" forever. Trying to force a minority into at least an equal part by turning it into a majority of one's forced efforts, from hollywood, is not making most people happy- especially the producers that keep suicidally cranking out one steaming box office bomb of a PC turd after the next that nobody goes for.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
How about a gender swap of Beaches, or an all female version of Reservoir Dogs? The Godmother, parts 1 2 and 3? Personally I miss movies about normal people behaving like normal people, and I'm not alone. There's enough biological differences between the sexes to maintain a "most girls x" and "most guys y" forever. Trying to force a minority into at least an equal part by turning it into a majority of one's forced efforts, from hollywood, is not making most people happy- especially the producers that keep suicidally cranking out one steaming box office bomb of a PC turd after the next that nobody goes for.
Sorry - I don't know these shows/movies/whatever. I think gender is far less important in most action/adventure/crime plots than other factors. Small variations on its account might affect some small details or aesthetics, but not much else.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The outcome really depends on the personalities of the group, outer circumstances and the dynamic between those personalities, not neccessarily the gender. While you can say that statistically speaking woman are less likely to commit violent crimes, which could mean woman are less violent in general, social experiments and other experiences have taught psychologists that once you take certain people out of a socially and morally stable environment (aka civilized world), their mindsets may change dramatically, making the same people more likely to change their mindsets when it comes to basic ethics.

Something related to the topic I found quite interesting to watch:

Note that you can't compare this social experiment to he environment pictured in Lord of the flies. As far as I remember, but I read Lord of the flies ages ago, the main characters new environment was way more stressful to those young boys. Not knowing how to feed yourself can put an enormous psychological pressure on everyone's minds and may trigger a trauma, and traumatic experiences can cause every human being to "snap" at some point. In this social experiment the kids don't have to worry about basic neccessities, so of course the situations aren't comparable.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
The outcome really depends on the personalities of the group, outer circumstances and the dynamic between those personalities, not neccessarily the gender.

For boys, sharing may seem like a waste of time, finds new research

"Research has long shown that boys are less likely to disclose thoughts and feelings with one another than girls are. Popular psychology had posited that boys' reticence to talk about feelings was a fear of being embarrassed or ridiculed by peers. But new research in press at Child Development, suggests differently. Rather than feeling embarrassed, it finds, boys may perceive that sharing is simply a waste of time.

"It isn't so much that boys avoid talking about problems because of worries, concerns or feelings of angst," says lead author Amanda J. Rose, PhD, associate professor of psychological sciences at the University of Missouri. "It's more that they don't see it as having utility.""

I can relate to that. If my house was on fire and there was nothing I could do but watch it burn, talking about the helplessness of the situation won't save my house. I want that fire out. That being said, talking about things does help some people so if a friend is in need of my ear I'll listen because it works for them. Just because I tend to sort things out alone doesn't mean I'll deny engaging in what a friend or SO needs to get through something. Interesting how there's a misconception about why boys don't want to talk about it.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

You didn't think [MENTION=9811]Coriolis[/MENTION] would care about Beaches, did you?
[MENTION=33707]Population: 1[/MENTION] It would be Jamie Bond. I'd like to see a well-established but not overexposed actress playing Jamie Bond. Someone like Allison Bree, from Mad Men and Glow, would probably be acceptable. I'd prefer an older actress though, Merly Streep or Viola Davis. I'd be really impressed if Meryl Streep were to convincingly do those action scenes.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
social experiments and other experiences have taught psychologists that once you take certain people out of a socially and morally stable environment (aka civilized world), their mindsets may change dramatically, making the same people more likely to change their mindsets when it comes to basic ethics.

There's people who don't belong in the civilized world in the first place. They're like the killer whales at Sea World performing tricks.

There's people who don't belong in the civilized world in the first place. They're like the killer whales at Sea World performing tricks.

The threat of overwhelming violent force by a well equipped government is what keeps a lot of humans 'civilized'. Sad but true. Mad Max is only nine happy meals away.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This show already exists. It is called the Real Housewives.

anticlimatic

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INTP
I can relate to that. If my house was on fire and there was nothing I could do but watch it burn, talking about the helplessness of the situation won't save my house. I want that fire out. That being said, talking about things does help some people so if a friend is in need of my ear I'll listen because it works for them. Just because I tend to sort things out alone doesn't mean I'll deny engaging in what a friend or SO needs to get through something. Interesting how there's a misconception about why boys don't want to talk about it.

Yeah, it's not to say that talking about things is good or bad- I'm sure it would be good for most men to talk more and most women to talk less, it's just a fundamental biologically rooted distinction in preference. If the group in lord of the flies were girls and they talked more it could have prevented a whole lot of ugliness. In fact I'm pretty sure they killed off the only guy who wanted to talk about his feelings. That's going to be tough to translate into girls. I doubt the first inclination a group of girls would have after being stranded on an island would be to repress the entire incident and go kill a pig.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, it's not to say that talking about things is good or bad- I'm sure it would be good for most men to talk more and most women to talk less, it's just a fundamental biologically rooted distinction in preference. If the group in lord of the flies were girls and they talked more it could have prevented a whole lot of ugliness. In fact I'm pretty sure they killed off the only guy who wanted to talk about his feelings. That's going to be tough to translate into girls. I doubt the first inclination a group of girls would have after being stranded on an island would be to repress the entire incident and go kill a pig.

Girls would kill off the one who doesn't talk. That's why sharing is useful. Besides that, if you whine and bitch enough, all your dreams will come true, if you're talking to the right person.

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This show already exists. It is called the Real Housewives.

The Real Housewives should be cast on a season of Survivor and be forced to interact with actors pretending to be the characters from Gilligans' Island, just to make it more relatable to someone like me.

magpie

Permabanned
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
There are definitely bigger fish to fry.

Beorn

Permabanned
I'm pretty sure there is no controversy here.
Almost everybody thinks it's stupid for one reason or another.

PumpkinMayCare

𝓛ιкєтнє𝓓єνi lмαу
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp

I can totally relate to that. But in general I'm convinced people talk too much. There's a right time and topic for everything. But after my house burned into ashes, the last thing that'd be on my mind is to talk about it. What's there to talk about? Of course I would feel like shit, no need to say that out loud. It's obvious. I'd rather spent the time after such an accident trying to get my life under control again. I'm sure there'd be enough sh*t waiting to be done!

I don't think it's related to gender. I'm a female and I've met enough females who don't like to talk about their problems/most of them and rather take action. I also read some results on some research that was done regarding the general ratio of spoken words on a daily basis done by men and woman. The results showed in general men spoke a little bit more than woman. The myth that woman necessarily talk more is a myth (and a clichee), that needs to die off once and for all. It's just not true.

I can totally relate to that. But in general I'm convinced people talk too much. There's a right time and topic for everything. But after my house burned into ashes, the last thing that'd be on my mind is to talk about it. What's there to talk about? Of course I would feel like shit, no need to say that out loud. It's obvious. I'd rather spent the time after such an accident trying to get my life under control again. I'm sure there'd be enough sh*t waiting to be done!

I don't think it's related to gender. I'm a female and I've met enough females who don't like to talk about their problems/most of them and rather take action. I also read some results on some research that was done regarding the general ratio of spoken words on a daily basis done by men and woman. The results showed in general men spoke a little bit more than woman. The myth that woman necessarily talk more is a myth (and a clichee), that needs to die off once and for all. It's just not true.
Oh yeah I understand there are definitely women who don't want to explore every little incident and how they felt. On the whole women just seem more comfortable if someone does want to discuss something and of course they want something resolved if possible. It seems a lot of them do gain a sense of relief just being able to vent. A lot of men don't seem to benefit as much from discussion. I find the fact that guys don't want to talk about it (whatever it may be) not because of fear of showing weakness so much as it doesn't really seem to make them feel better afterwards very interesting. I don't really talk about things that really effect me easily because I don't find the disclosure helpful. Outside of the forums I'm 90% internalization 10% truly deep disclosure.

As for men talking more, half of the conversation is most likely about pretty women, entertainment, and the ever popular shit talking with one another. Giving each other a hard time in a joking manner is apparently how a lot of men express caring about each other. I don't really shit talk with the exception of to my best friend who I've known from high school. If I'm saying something mean, it's whole intent is to be hurtful or incite anger. That's how my friends know I'm actually angry.

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Just came in here to see who was bitching about what. But yeah, this has already been done in movie and TV formats. Strangely enough, I hear lots of people complaining that movies should go back to normal people doing normal things. At the same time, they're often the biggest connoisseurs of reality TV, like that's a great example of normal people.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No Indianah Jones or Jane Bond please. Those characters are established males ffs. Make a well rounded female secret agent and a well rounded female adventurer in their own movies with original worlds. I'm sick to death of reboots in general and then fucking with major facts of a franchise on top of it. Doctor Who as a woman is completely plausible because the character is constantly changing as it is and no one ever stated timelords can't regenerate into a different gender. James Bond is the same character played by different actors without acknowledging the change within the plot. James Bond has a penis. Always has, always should.

As for Dame of the Flies? Women in survival situations would be no less ruthless than men. It's survival. However it feels completely forced as an idea because Hollywood lacks creative vision nowadays and the courage to gamble on something new even though audiences would love for them to try something new. Classics are great but how do expect to create future classics by simply rehashing the same things over and over? The creative visionaries don't have any influence anymore only the suits who care only about guaranteed returns. Art is suffering because of it.

Alright rant over.

I wish Hollywood could actually develop new ideas nowadays. They just want to generate a ton of revenue without much risk. I guess that's understandable considering how crappy some of the "art" is coming out of there and how they've lost a lot of money at times / some production companies have gone under because of bad ventures, but a lot of the time it's not like it's not obvious a particular project is going to die on the way out.

"Atomic Blonde" had its problems, but it seemed pretty comparable to a Jason Bourne vehicle with a female spy, while still taking into account the differences in how a woman might have to tackle men who are her equivalent. Brutal movie, in terms of action/fight scenes. But it wasn't necessarily promoted well and didn't quite have an undercurrent of connection to the lead character enough to build a franchise per se. And much of the movie is told in flashback form for certain reasons, but that doesn't necessarily inspire a passionate fanbase.

Anyway a lot of the franchise changing today just seems to be sloppy attempts to generate revenue off ongoing properties, it's what happens when the financiers are making movies rather than storytellers.