• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Defenders (Netflix)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched half of it so far. It's not top-tier stuff overall (not like Westworld or Breaking Bad, etc.) but is decent for what it is. It still feels like the writers generalize too much in their dialogue, and I really don't like Danny Rand being the central figure to the plotline, but it helps a great deal that he is juxtaposed with the other three and they all get decent screen time apart and then, in mid-series, together.

Sigourney Weaver is, well, Sigourney Weaver. She gives some gravitas to the story and adds interest/empathy regardless of what kind of roles she plays. (I remember watching "A Monster Calls" last year and thinking as the movie started that she was horribly miscast as the British mother figure.... but she brought such nuance to the role later in the story, I totally get why they cast her.) Anyway, it helps she is part of this season.

There are of course things I don't get. including....

Anyway, if you liked both seasons of Daredevil, then The Defenders is on par with that. Kind of a fun way to pass the time and see what happens.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I finished this. Obviously it was enjoyable enough I watched the entire eight episodes in about a 30 hour period

Actual Spoilers, so don't read until you've watched it, if you plan to watch:

Episode 5:

Episode 6:

Episode 7:

Episode 8:

There's some funny stuff, like when Jessica and Matt get teamed up briefly -- and you realize they are the most private / self-protective two of the four... both are so tight-lipped about their personal lives.

Jessica's rolling sardonic commentary provides a lot of comic fodder throughout the series. Danny is the most annoying with all the vague optimisms and positive thinking he spouts. Luke is the practical realist, and he doesn't have a problem with calling something crazy if he thinks it is.

There's still some cheesy stuff that happens from time to time -- like, it helps the story along, but doesn't seem like it would happen IRL.

All in all, it was pretty on par with the Netflix comic series stuff.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I like the fact it doesn't drag on and the pacing is good. Sigourney Weaver is awesome as usual.

I guess, the main thing I don't like is Danny Rand's naivity. Rather than seeing him grow, he continues to be a hurt puppy.

Daredevil is great. I like the little nuances like him being able to hear the electricity of lamps and turning off a desk lamp, despite being blind and little things like that.

I think Cage and Jones didn't really get their moment to shine though. The focus on Iron fist was big and only daredevil seemed to be able to take the stage well.

Beorn

Permabanned
Should I finish all the other individual series before watching this?
(I've watched s1 of Jessica and Daredevil and half of Iron Fist)

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
To understand the Elektra and The Hand dynamic, watch season 2 of daredevil.

I saw all of JJ and Daredevil. But I only saw the pilots for Cage and IF and read an IF synopsis and was fine.

Fluffywolf

Nips away your dignity
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Cage series was the best amongst them in my opinion, but has the least to do with defenders. :D

I'd say watching iron fist is advised as well. I didn't like that series much myself but a lot of defenders is based on that.

Basically as I had said before, both daredevil and iron fist are very central to the story, unlike Jessica and Luke that are sort off just 'put in the mix' because of very weak plot devices.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cage series was the best amongst them in my opinion, but has the least to do with defenders. :D

Yeah, I still plan to finish that one. I just never got around to it. But I agree it has the least to do with The Defenders. They really did nothing with Luke's past in The Defenders, aside from where he picks up in Episode 1.

I'd say watching iron fist is advised as well. I didn't like that series much myself but a lot of defenders is based on that.

It is, but you can just read the synopsis rather than having to suffer through it. That's what I did. I didn't feel like the story was diminished, really; I read all the plot points that were important, in about three minutes, instead of having to sit through seven more hours of Danny Rand. I think if someone wants to sit through Iron Fist, it will be more for a few supporting villains + Colleen Wing.

But Daredevil Season 2 (moreso than one) really deals with the hand and Black Skye and whatever else... plus it's more watchable on its own merits than Iron Fist.

Z Buck McFate

Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked it enough to finish it.

I might be alone in this, and I have no idea what comic book Jessica Jones is like - but there's something about Krysten Ritter that seems too highschool/junior highschool to me. There's something that feels too much like angsty teenager behind the smart-ass comments. I find it distracting, and can't watch her without constantly thinking someone more legit badass (like Michelle Rodriguez) or dry (Aubrey Plaza) would deliver the sardonic comments better. Someone like Ripley-era Weaver. I like Krysten Ritter, just not for this role.

I also kinda feel like Iron Fist could have been cast better, but I don't like his character as much anyway so it doesn't distract me.