• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Problematic Media

Smilephantomhive

MBTI Type
ISTJ
Enneagram
6w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So do you think it's okay for people to watch problematic TV shows or read problematic books. And my problematic, I mean the piece of media had some sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobia, abelist, ect content in it.

Also what if the media itself did not contain any problematic material, but the creator was racist or something like that?

This also leads into the question of classic novels and movies. Should people be required to read books by people who were sexist and racist, or does the time period exempt the authors from this criticism.

Okay I will go ahead and state my opinion. I think that reading problematic material is okay, however I think it is important to recognize the flaws of harmful ideologies and criticize the creators. I think criticizing material the important thing when it comes to consuming media. So yeah, state and elaborate on your opinion about this matter.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Overall I think that offensive media can have a place in the world of literate as it can open up new story lines and themes that otherwise wouldn't be looked at and I always think restricting any possible story lines is a crime in the world of writing IMO. I think hmmm that it is like over the top offensive and just that way to spread some harmful idea then its probably best thrown in the fire but I think customer demand for a book will really make a point so I personally dont think any books should be censored. I think most people know whats harmful and whats not and can judge on that.

Pandemeria

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
So do you think it's okay for people to watch problematic TV shows or read problematic books. And my problematic, I mean the piece of media had some sexist, racist, homophobic, transphobia, abelist, ect content in it.

Also what if the media itself did not contain any problematic material, but the creator was racist or something like that?

This also leads into the question of classic novels and movies. Should people be required to read books by people who were sexist and racist, or does the time period exempt the authors from this criticism.

Okay I will go ahead and state my opinion. I think that reading problematic material is okay, however I think it is important to recognize the flaws of harmful ideologies and criticize the creators. I think criticizing material the important thing when it comes to consuming media. So yeah, state and elaborate on your opinion about this matter.

It's a problematic thing in itself to dismiss something just because it's offensive. For example, standup comedy is by nature meant to offend becaue it is one of the only acceptable ways we address contentious issues in society. That being said, it is up to the creator to be self-aware, to not just offend for the sake of offending. Otherwise, what's the point?

Gone

Dealing with difficult topics is tremendously important, in my opinion, and people should read/watch/... works that cover these topics, to broaden their horizons, leave their mental comfort zones, etc. Media that show problematic content is good, media that subtly criticizes is even better (too obvious criticism is meh because it stops people from thinking about it and forming their own opinions). What's not okay (in my opinion) is glorification, of crime, rape, murder, war, anything that goes against human dignity.