• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Mr. Robot

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
She's my favorite character in this show. Angela's probably number two now that she's gotten her shit together.
Initially, Angela reminded me a LOT of people we went to school with. Saw some of the worst parts of myself in there too. Now she's just... her own thing. In an amazing way.

Can't wait to see what's in store for her in season 3.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I like the Angela arc.... I just have NO idea where it is going (or even of some of the places it might have been without me knowing it!) She's definitely branched out from being just a "character type" at this stage into something more complex.

Joanna grew on me by end of Season 2. I think Corneliussen's acting went up a notch too, as she finally honed in on her character. (She's 5'11" as well... which is pretty cool.)

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah, I like the Angela arc.... I just have NO idea where it is going (or even of some of the places it might have been without me knowing it!) She's definitely branched out from being just a "character type" at this stage into something more complex.

Vulture's TV podcast recently had an interview with Sam Esmail. He talked about how Portia Doubleday's performance Season 1 is actually what evolved Angela into what she is. He talked about the scene with her in the shoe store towards the end of that season and how well she portrayed Angela's ambivalence between her personal feelings and what the trajectory she's on requires she becomes. It was a really interesting discussion.

One of the most impactful scenes from Season 2 for me was her singing the Tears for Fears song.

Unrelated, but the actor who plays White Rose is also Shang from Mulan and the scientist with the baby Velociraptors from Jurassic Park.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. BD Wong. I think I posted something about him earlier, about how he won a Tony (I think?) in a broadway production based on Madame Butterfly. He was in an X-Files episode and a ton of other stuff over the years. He reprised the character in Jurassic World too... he became moustache-twirling evil. :D

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yeah. BD Wong. I think I posted something about him earlier, about how he won a Tony (I think?) in a broadway production based on Madame Butterfly. He was in an X-Files episode and a ton of other stuff over the years. He reprised the character in Jurassic World too... he became moustache-twirling evil. :D
White Rose is such a bad bitch. He's doing really great work in this series.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I went online last night and downloaded the first season. W00t!

I did find that scene and from what seemed familiar, it seemed to be the same dialogue lines spoken in the SUV by Mr. Robot versus Elliot, but the location looked different (it was at the amusement park). Then again, Elliot's been so mentally fubar this season (with locations), who knows? Man, now I need to go back and rewatch everything!

That would be impressive if Esmail had some of the story figured out for over two seasons. That's hard because it becomes sprawling. then again, did he plan on a movie with the ideas at first, then realized there was just too much and he needed a series? Anyway, he wouldn't have to have all the specifics for both seasons, just any of the "overlap" scenes of importance. And sometimes you get an idea as the story moves forward and you can incorporate it as an echo later in the series. He gave himself a lot of leeway due to Elliot being an unreliable narrator, so conflicting details can actually be written off or ignored at times.

basically writing a serial narrative involves skill in (1) knowing how to effectively "seed" the storyline with thread beginnings that you can weave into subplots later (2) out locking you into anything and (2) using narrative devices that give you more flexibility rather than less.

White Rose is such a bad bitch. He's doing really great work in this series.

I personally think the character is pretty cool. I'm surprised I haven't heard a lot of bitching in trans community about it, considering how much people bitch over every other media depiction of someone crossing the gender divide. I can't imagine it's not because people aren't aware of it, since there seems to be a high degree of tech interest in at least the online trans community and so this is the kind of series that would be watched; then again, the techie trans friends I have aren't the ones usually bitching, and the character happens to be some kind of variant-gender portrayal but it's not the focus of the character (versus a movie like The Danish Girl... but then again there was a kerfluffle over Laverne Cox doing the remake of Rocky Horror).

Anyway, I think it's a great character and I have no clue of White Rose's ultimate motivations for anything.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I personally think the character is pretty cool. I'm surprised I haven't heard a lot of bitching in trans community about it, considering how much people bitch over every other media depiction of someone crossing the gender divide. I can't imagine it's not because people aren't aware of it, since there seems to be a high degree of tech interest in at least the online trans community and so this is the kind of series that would be watched; then again, the techie trans friends I have aren't the ones usually bitching, and the character happens to be some kind of variant-gender portrayal but it's not the focus of the character (versus a movie like The Danish Girl... but then again there was a kerfluffle over Laverne Cox doing the remake of Rocky Horror).

Anyway, I think it's a great character and I have no clue of White Rose's ultimate motivations for anything.

Isn't Laverne Cox trans? Why are people upset she's playing Rocky?

Also: re: White Rose: I saw a scene at the end of S01E10 after credits that I hadn't seen the first time.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Isn't Laverne Cox trans? Why are people upset she's playing Rocky?

Because she is a M2F transsexual, and Rocky is a crossdresser, so having a trans female play a male crossdresser conflates the two and confuses the public about the definition and validity of trans experiences and could possibly derail the attempt to have legislative protection, etc. (After all, for decades society was saying, "You're not really a man / woman like you think, you're just a disturbed woman / man with a clothing fetish, and so we don't have to protect you and in fact can just make fun of you." So this plays right into that misperception.)

You'd be amazed at how heated the conversation gets, to the point of people breaking off into factions over stuff like this.

Also: re: White Rose: I saw a scene at the end of S01E10 after credits that I hadn't seen the first time.

I'll have to check it out again. See spoiler.

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Because she is a M2F transsexual, and Rocky is a crossdresser, so having a trans female play a male crossdresser conflates the two and confuses the public about the definition and validity of trans experiences and could possibly derail the attempt to have legislative protection, etc. (After all, for decades society was saying, "You're not really a man / woman like you think, you're just a disturbed woman / man with a clothing fetish, and so we don't have to protect you and in fact can just make fun of you." So this plays right into that misperception.)

You'd be amazed at how heated the conversation gets, to the point of people breaking off into factions over stuff like this.

Is the difference that someone who is trans identifies with one gender whereas someone who is a crossdresser just enjoys wearing the clothes? My apologies if this is an ignorant question. Where do people who are genderqueer fall within this?

I'll have to check it out again. See spoiler.

Hm. Interdasting.

Unrelated, but I need to mosey on over to the Westerworld thread at some point. Saw the premier last night. Definitely going to watch, but I'm not clear on whether I'm sold on it yet. I will say that HBO has gotten high concept tits and violence down to a science now, tho.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Is the difference that someone who is trans identifies with one gender whereas someone who is a crossdresser just enjoys wearing the clothes? My apologies if this is an ignorant question. Where do people who are genderqueer fall within this?

Well, trans gets used as a blanket word (it can mean transsexual, or transvestite, or transgender) so unfortunately various needs kind of are dumped into one huge basket. Genderqueer folk could be called "trans[gender]" and people who seek surgical reassignment to remove gender dysphoria can also be called trans[sexual]. That's another problem with the legislation that is too extreme (like when it tries to harken back to chromosomes as some kind of litmus test for public access), since there's a huge difference in needs and presentation between a transsexual and a genderqueer person.

Since for the transsexual the needs are much different than just enjoying dressing in cross-sexed clothing or presenting somewhere in the middle, this is where all forms of political activism even within trans circles can butt heads especially if certain areas within the trans spectrum might draw more attention than others. (If you're transsexual and visually fit within the gender box, no one notices you let alone cares in daily life. But when you break the boxes openly, well, that's when people flip.)

Anyway, to cut back to the original element here, I'm glad I've seen White Rose so far seem relatively unmolested by rampant activism. :smile:

Unrelated, but I need to mosey on over to the Westerworld thread at some point. Saw the premier last night. Definitely going to watch, but I'm not clear on whether I'm sold on it yet. I will say that HBO has gotten high concept tits and violence down to a science now, tho.

That, they have. Then again, I saw Animal House and Angel Heart (as examples) way back in the 80's [boobs and blood is a cinematic staple], so...

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, this started last night again too -- Season 4 opener, last season. They are bringing the story closure as per their plan, so I'm hoping it pays off wonderfully.

(I actually like when writers control the ending, versus TV studio / networks deciding to end something because of lack of revenue coming in.)

I missed third season, but I have all three on Bluray, so I'm going to record this and start watching the series as makeup, then catchup and watch the final season before the finale airs hopefully.

It's kind of the series I love to be confused by. Some great reveals, with an unreliable narrator.

cascadeco

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Well, this started last night again too -- Season 4 opener, last season. They are bringing the story closure as per their plan, so I'm hoping it pays off wonderfully.

(I actually like when writers control the ending, versus TV studio / networks deciding to end something because of lack of revenue coming in.)

I missed third season, but I have all three on Bluray, so I'm going to record this and start watching the series as makeup, then catchup and watch the final season before the finale airs hopefully.

It's kind of the series I love to be confused by. Some great reveals, with an unreliable narrator.

Not only is it clever and interesting, it has really compelling characters and great acting. All of that makes for a great show and they don't come around often. I didn't realize they were deliberately ending it at 4 - that's good.

Season 3 was great! I think it got a bit darker than the earlier seasons. Sadly I'll be waiting til season 4 comes out on dvd before I get to see it - but I can wait. :)

Peter Deadpan

phallus impudicus
I'm so far behind. Whenever I break up with someone, I stop watching our shows. Not because memories blah blah, but because I'm too lazy to figure out where I left off.

We broke up twice, so I have no fucking idea where that would be. :happy2:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm so far behind. Whenever I break up with someone, I stop watching our shows. Not because memories blah blah, but because I'm too lazy to figure out where I left off.

We broke up twice, so I have no fucking idea where that would be. :happy2:

love is so complicated. :D or maybe it complicates things.

well, you might have to suck it up like me and just watch the whole damn thing straight through, lol

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Well, none of my DVR scheduled records worked, so I basically just started plowing through all the Bluray copies (Seasons 1-3). The final episode of Season 4 aired right before Christmas, and I just got to Season 4 last night. It was a hell of an opener. Won't comment further on that, since it's a huge spoiler.

However, something that made me laugh in s4e1 -- I saw Jake Busey on screen, then happened to catch his last name (character's) was Lomax. I had to go check it out. Yeah -- it's an inside joke or maybe some weird cross-movie continuity, because in the film "The Firm" (1993), Jake's dad Gary Busey played a sketchy PI named Eddie Lomax, and 26 years later Jake Busey is playing a sketchy lawyer named Freddy Lomax. This could go as far as just being a purposeful pun, or one could even try to make the case they exist in the same universe and Eddie Lomax had a teen kid in The Firm we never saw and Freddy is him, all grown up. Anyway, I was amused.

----

My feelings about the various Seasons.

Season 1 -- pretty great, and of course it's got all the original mystery of what's going on with Elliot and Mr. Robot. It was kind of self-contained so the series could have ended there and the narrative was generally complete. It was the season that generated all the buzz.

Season 2 -- More confusing, not as good as season 1 in terms of big picture / overarcing narrative. Esmail seemed to lose himself in the rabbit hole a bit, and there's a jarring shift in narrative around Elliot partway into the season that makes sense on paper but isn't as much fun while watching. It felt like it was still rather searching for "What comes next" in terms of plot as well. Joanna get more narrative, with the disappearance of Tyrell. I mean, the thing is, even when Mr. Robot isn't as good, it's still better than a lot of shows (in its favor) and pushes forward; it's just here there's too much convolution in the various plots without much clarity about what the goals are, so it's easy to feel lost. Grace Gummer (Meryl Streep's daughter) is both good and annoying as the representative FBI investigator... and I'm glad some of the other characters eventually start calling her out in Season 3, to justify my feelings.

Season 3 -- Definitely a step back in the right direction, and the middle of the season is a hell of a ride. Esmail makes a clearer throughroad for all the characters and their plotlines come together by end of season. The Irving character could have been very derivative but Nick Cannavale makes him pop -- he's just such a unique actor. It's like a mix between professional fixer + used car salesman. We also get more clarity on White Rose, although the ultimate goal is still rather mysterious. Gummer's character gets rounded out and I found more sympathy for her. No character is sacred either, it's never really clear who will survive to the season end. I will repeat again how great the season's middle episodes are, especially in ratcheting up the tension + dark humor (Elliot and Mr. Robot really go at each other), and it all ends in unexpected ways in the finale, which again might have served as a makeshift series ender if it hadn't been renewed. I was really satisfied with this season.

Michael Christofer was well cast in this as the head of E Corp too -- he's always playing shady, slimy characters (and he's good at it), but his version of Jerry here feels more nuanced. He's ALMOST a caricature but never really goes there, and he manages to play scenes that others might have played more sentimentally without that fake sense of pathos, he plays them more pragmatically even if you can tell he cares under the surface.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So okay, I have watched five episodes now of Season 4. (8 more to go to finish the series.)

- I'm feeling like I did reading the last Dark Tower book by King, it feels a lot like the story is winding down and getting smaller as characters continue to be removed one by one. I'm not sure I like that approach, I didn't necessarily like it in THe Dark Tower either... I remember feeling like the first half was decent with the onset of Mordred but the overall effect of the latter half felt like the story was getting smaller, not bigger.

- Episode 5 was a drop back to a "heist" type story which I really enjoyed although a few elements of it seemed very improbable to me. But the most interesting aspect of it:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I couldn't stop, and just finished Mr. Robot.

What a fucking brilliant show. Glad it stuck the landing. I was figuring everything out over the last few episodes, but... wow.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So out of the four seasons, Season 2 was the most convoluted and problematic. It's too bad it contributed to loss of viewership, because the last two seasons were pretty stellar and gutsy.

Esmail also mid-loaded most of the largest stuff for the late-middle of each of the last two seasons (although Season 3 finale is pretty crazy as well), so as to give a lot of time for closing things out. Finally, a writer/showrunner who understands that you need time to wind DOWN a story and reach an emotionally satisfying conclusion, rather than just leaving everyone hanging after the climax of a major plotline. There's always been enough space given for the dramatic elements to breathe and reach their own natural resolutions.

Esmail does use a lot of pop culture references which on occasion seem forced but often fit in well -- I feel like he and Tarantino are the two guys who consistently know how to make unexpected but entirely understandable (after the fact) music choices. Usually for Esmail, this is the episode/title screen opener, as there's no real theme song; but it involves some internal music choices as well. I think he was saving up the most obvious musical choice for the ending, and he DOES unload it at the perfect time, in the opening of the two-part series finale.

White Rose:

Dom and Darlene and that resolution:

The Window incident:

The whole bit with Elliot (series spoiler, so read at own risk):

A lot otherwise to discuss, but I'm kind of burned out....

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I've ended up watching the finale like 3-4x already and end up crying each time. Also rewatched epsiode s4e7 again -- I like how Esmail takes what could be a cliche reveal and leans into it by setting the episode up as almost a stage play, with various acts, overly dramatic music, and lots of mood and ambiance. I think it helps sell what's unfolding by embracing it and even being a bit meta-aware of it.

For those who don't know, Vera is back at the end of Season 3 and figures prominently in a few episodes in Season 4. (He's the drug dealer who Elliot inadvertently breaks out of prison in Season 1.) he's a weird character, because he's little more than a street thug with ridiculous aspirations but is full of profound and heady language and ideas. I still am not sure if I buy him as a real person, but that's not Elliot Villar's (the actor's) fault, because I just don't know well someone could sell that part. But Villar's all in and I can't imagine a better performance of it, it's again just a writing issue and it's pretty much on the edge for any scene he's in between believable and incredulous. However, it kind of fits with all the accentuation of Episode 7 and bringing the drama to a head. So I guess it works? Especially because Esmail gives the proper amount of space for the scenes to breathe. It all feels organic and we have time to process everything along with the characters. (Esmail has typically gotten that part right. He never shirks on empty space/silence.)

Certainly the smart tech/hacking angles of the series have appealed to me, but I think overall it's been more that these are people living on the fringes, who have never felt like they fit in, looking for purpose and validation and, well, others. All of them on some level seem profoundly lonely, especially Elliot, and it becomes more obvious as the series winds to the end no matter how Elliot tries to seem self-sufficient and indifferent to the void around him. There's even a sense that Elliot's issue stems in part from being so lonely that he needed ways to cope with that, and in a way it salves the loneliness. But all of them are lonely, even the "bad people" like White Rose and Jerry. A lot of them are either acting out of loss and loneliness or have somewhat consciously sold out their relationships as the price of grasping power to accomplish their will... and on some core level it still eats at them. Same with Darlene, and Dom. Even Krista, the therapist -- she's fundamentally lonely, I think Elliot mentions this in Season 1 as a reason he trusts her and thinks she could understand him.

I think the only ones who don't seem lonely are Irving in Season 3 (he doesn't seem bothered by anything) and Janice in Season 4 (she's a freaking psychopath), and it's like they simply view life as a series of practical and pragmatic decisions -- they have tasks to accomplish, and they see relationships and people as bartering chips or obstacles to be overcome. Irving is more a "nothing personal" kind of guy and seems a bit genuinely pleased when good things happen for people he's done the unconscionable to in the past as "part of doing business,"whereas Janice seems to revel in her ability to manipulate a situation to her desired outcome, she seems to get a rush out of it and inflicting pain on those around her.

Anyway, that's another reason I think the series resonates. Lost had a same undercurrent (live together, die alone), and this is a situation where last season of the series DOESN'T drop the ball, really.