• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Who Likes Dr. Who?

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't.

Although I'll admit I've only seen a single scene from the series.

It went something like this.

Dr. Who and these two chicks are having a picnic next to a lake.

A spaceman in an astronaut spacesuit comes out of the lake.

Dr. Who tells the girls to wait there and goes to meet the spaceman.

You see the spaceman and Dr. Who facing each other.

The spaceman takes some kind of space weapon and shoots Dr. Who.

BANG!

Then the spaceman shoots Dr. Who again.

BANG!

Dr. Who stumbles awkwardly and falls down.

The girls run down to the lake.

One of them pulls a revolver from somewhere and fires it at the spaceman.

BANG!

No kickback from the revolver, no smoke.

And all three BANGS! are the exact same sound, kind of tinny, like the sound made when hitting a garbage can lid with a hammer.

Because that's what it was.

I like sci-fi, but come on, give me at least some decent sound effects. The rest of the effects were pretty cheesy too.

What is there to like about Dr. Who? Some fan-boy -girl please tell me.

Umbriel

MBTI Type
ENTP
I think Doctor Who is pretty good. :) Some of the story ideas are interesting. The only problems I have is that he never loses so there's no tension, and he sometimes "solves" problems in a way that makes you think, "WTF? If that could happen why have we waited this long?" lol.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I like it. It's definitely not hard sci-fi. If you demand realism in your sci-fi this is not the show for you.

Also, it's been on since the 60s and the budget has always been laughably low. I think the budget is better than it used to be now that it's seeing some mainstream popularity, but going too high-budget would take it out of the spirit of the show at this point. There is a camp factor.

zago

MBTI Type
INTP
That's pretty much what I felt after watching the first 2 episodes since it was brought back on Netflix. Cheesy and too drawn-out. I keep on hearing people obsessing about it and I want to try to watch it again, but I just wasn't that compelled I guess.

Rosie Drew

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I do. I really do. (Major fan who even has a sonic screwdriver.)

Stephano

Almöhi
MBTI Type
NFP
I once saw the first episode of season 5 and I think I enjoyed it untill it got too weird. :huh:
A spaceship with a huge human eye on it appeared on the sky and scanned the whole area for an alien-monster-snake. They were literally above it compared to the size of the world but didn't find it. The passengers around Dr Who were more scared about him turning of the lanterns (It was day btw) than about the huge spaceship. :shock:
I like the weirdness and exaggeratedness of this show. I'd watch it again if it comes on TV.

thoughtlost

Honeyed Water
Enneagram
N/A
I like it. I used to not care for it when my good friend was obsessing over it in high school. Then the summer came, I was alone all the time, and somehow I really got into it (I hated being interrupted from it). I lost my connection with it for about a year or so, but now... I am okay with it; two of my friends are really into it and since I have a background in it, I re-watch episodes with them so I can keep up with the conversation ...because I do like the show, but I am not IN LOVE WITH IT!!!! But I think the concepts are cool.

I am really bad at judging the 'quality' of a show... and I don't know why I didn't like it before... maybe my friend showed me the older episodes (don't remember). Now that I think about it, I don't know why I like it exactly either. If there is a reason, then I can't put it into words.

Standuble

I have watched Doctor Who since its reboot in 2005. I found it humourous that Mal's criticisn was regarding the revolver. The logic in the Doctor Who universe is much worse than that. Examples include: some points of time are fixed whilst others are not (?), stable time loops can be rendered defunct internally (Moffat has done this over and over), the characters are in a time loop even though the timeline/events are clearly being altered, the consistent appearance of modern humans throughout history (even aliens look human) and early 21st century society, somehow becoming part of events when you cross your own timeline (the TARDIS in particular) and finally the Doctor always being 900 (he should be at least 1500 years old by now).

The current guy Moffat is probably an INTJ and he is a misogynistic egomaniac who isn't as intelligent as he seems to think he is whilst the former guy (Russel T Davies) was probably an ENFJ who liked to make it as camp and cheesy as possible. People initially worshipped Moffat as some sort of God but now he doesn't receive that much praise.

I just watch it and don't invest too much in the story. It's 45 minutes a week of pure cheddar which I munch upon before going back to other tasks.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm... my brother introduced me to Doctor Who about 1-2 years ago. Before then, we had been watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. How it happened was, my brother one day said, "Do you know that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who?" (He knows how much I love word manipulation and codes.) I found it very interesting, and from there he began to explain more about the show. After watching the episode "Closing Time" with the Eleventh Doctor and Craig on Netflix, I got hooked - and the rest is pretty much history. :D

I have to admit though, I was a little disappointed with the Eleventh's regeneration in "The Time of the Doctor". I feel like it happened too abruptly towards the end - it's like BOOM!, and then he looks up at Clara and "Oh, hello Twelfth!" :blink:
At least the Doctor gave himself a nice 'eulogy' beforehand.

Standuble

Hmm... my brother introduced me to Doctor Who about 1-2 years ago. Before then, we had been watching Torchwood: Miracle Day. How it happened was, my brother one day said, "Do you know that Torchwood is an anagram of Doctor Who?" (He knows how much I love word manipulation and codes.) I found it very interesting, and from there he began to explain more about the show. After watching the episode "Closing Time" with the Eleventh Doctor and Craig on Netflix, I got hooked - and the rest is pretty much history. :D

I have to admit though, I was a little disappointed with the Eleventh's regeneration in "The Time of the Doctor". I feel like it happened too abruptly towards the end - it's like BOOM!, and then he looks up at Clara and "Oh, hello Twelfth!" :blink:
At least the Doctor gave himself a nice 'eulogy' beforehand.

On the Doctor Who IMDb board (which is a motley group of trolls, die-hard fanatics, critics and others) there was a lot of criticism of the episode and more importantly the regeneration. From what I understand Peter Capaldi (the new Doctor who has starred in the programme before) couldn't be there on the same day Matt Smith could for whichever reason and they filmed the two halves of the scene on different days and just spliced them together. I don't think the TPTB behind Who care much any more or else they probably would have tried to make the change a bit more seamless.

Firebird 8118

DJ Phoenix
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
On the Doctor Who IMDb board (which is a motley group of trolls, die-hard fanatics, critics and others) there was a lot of criticism of the episode and more importantly the regeneration. From what I understand Peter Capaldi (the new Doctor who has starred in the programme before) couldn't be there on the same day Matt Smith could for whichever reason and they filmed the two halves of the scene on different days and just spliced them together. I don't think the TPTB behind Who care much any more or else they probably would have tried to make the change a bit more seamless.

Ah, I see... oh, well :shrug: guess we'll just have to wait and see how Capaldi's performance as the latest Doctor turns out.

Mal12345

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
FYI, I have watched season 1 episode 1 of the Dr. Who reboot. It was ok, I was interested enough to watch the whole thing, but not quite enough to keep me watching the series.