• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Is it legal to watch movies online?

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I assume it is only a problem if you download them, but I'm not sure. What I do is: I watch them online first, then buy them if I like them, especially since most of the legal downloads are in German, and I like to watch them in English first.

Is this okay? I assume so, since I am neither distributing them, selling them, or downloading them, but I just wanted to check.

P

Phantonym

You're not paying anything to watch them? Hmmm...it doesn't matter where you watch them. If the people who own the copyrights don't get paid either by you or the people responsible for making movies available online, then it's not ok.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Okay, here's a more pertinent question: How do I know if the people are paying, and how do I know if it is okay or not? I mean, I don't want to do anything wrong, and I'm more than okay with paying a little bit to get a preview before I buy, but these sites don't ask for payment, so I wasn't sure.

P

Phantonym

What kind of sites are they? *asks Sky innocently without any ulterior motives in mind :whistling:*

If the sites don't explicitly indicate that they are paying for them, they're probably not. ;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hmm, I cannot really remember the names. I mean, I don't spend 12 hours a day watching such movies. I watch maybe 1 a year, and if I like it, I buy it. I just do not want to buy it and have it suck, which has happened to me a few times.

It is like trying on a suit before I buy it: I would never shoplift, but I want to make sure the darn thing fits and looks good before I buy it and take it home, especially if they do not accept returns. :-/

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Who cares? As long as you're not distributing the FBI isn't gonna bust down your door.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Who cares? As long as you're not distributing the FBI isn't gonna bust down your door.

Oh hellz no! I would not distribute. I don't even know how lol. I just want to preview the movie before I buy, and if I like it, I buy it online through a valid carrier like iTunes or something.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Oh hellz no! I would not distribute. I don't even know how lol.
It's easy. Step 1: Download a movie. Step 2: Make multiple DVD copies of it. Step 3: Find your nearest ghetto and sell them for 5 bucks out of the trunk of your car.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
It's easy. Step 1: Download a movie. Step 2: Make multiple DVD copies of it. Step 3: Find your nearest ghetto and sell them for 5 bucks out of the trunk of your car.

You know what I mean. Grr. :D

P

Phantonym

Ha! Hard copies, finding a ghetto, wasting so much time, that's just crazy talk. It would be so much easier to set up an online bootleg distribution website thingy. It's the 21st century after all. :rolli:

Nonsensical

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
it's illegal to post it on the internet. But as far as watching illegally posted movies on the internet, I do not know. But who cares.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
DUDE, I'm not talking about distributing movies, anyway. I mean waaaatchiiiing. :D So I won't see you in jail. Na nanny boo boo. ;)

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
You know what is interesting? Two other ENFPs responded to my question, and one INFJ. And the other ENFPs couldn't care two shits in a rat bag one way or the other; whereas, I take the time to make sure. Hmmm, am I a mutant ENFP or what? :D :doh:

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

you can get them at a better price in the nearest ghetto here... something like 7 for $20! :holy:

however, I'm way too creeped out by the Fleamarket Mall (they had IV bags and stands on sale last time I was in there :shock:) and I tend to prefer Netflix anyways...

but yes, from my understanding, as long as you're not downloading or distributing it, you're safe! :)

P

Phantonym

DUDE, I'm not talking about distributing movies, anyway. I mean waaaatchiiiing. :D So I won't see you in jail. Na nanny boo boo. ;)

I meant Aleksei, our resident bootleg distribution expert. ;)

But what do the laws in Germany say about all that stuff? Aside from downloading and distribution, if it's a go, then go.

Ethically, it's obviously wrong beyond belief. Can you live with yourself? :laugh:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
lol.gif
It's not like I'm actually a bootlegger, it's just common sense.

Little Linguist

Striving for balance
MBTI Type
xNFP
Instinctual Variant
sx/so

But what do the laws in Germany say about all that stuff? Aside from downloading and distribution, if it's a go, then go.

Ethically, it's obviously wrong beyond belief. Can you live with yourself? :laugh:

Yes, because I buy the movies afterwards. Seriously. I watched a movie, liked it, and bought it. I'm downloading a movie I just bought. I buy all the time. I just want to know what the hell I buy before I buy. And 99% of the time, I buy unless the movie really blows.