• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Watched a truly awful rom-com last night that was so bad it was actually really funny -- "New in Town" (2009) w/ Renee Zellweger, Harry Connick Jr, and JK Simmons. I learned about it because a clip from it was used in my training class yesterday, on how not to manage change at your company. Oh, it's totally awful -- big city hardass career girl gets sent to small town Minnesota by her company to manage reduction procedures at a food packaging plant, but then falls in love with small-town USA and the earnest Jesus-loving country folks, as well as the hot guy in town who she finds out is the union representative as well, and has to try and save the factory from her evil corporate overlords.

Yes, it leans to just about every cliche possible -- clueless ritzy townie with a stick up her ass falls for the local scruffy hottie who is her enemy, while the simple country folk are the salt of the earth and city people suck. The Minnesotans are just a bunch of Minnesota and/or small town cliches. Frances Conroy is entirely wasted. The corporate and factory processes are laughable. Everyone is mostly a stereotype. There is a way to make this work, and you do it by literally playing everything for laughs so that the audience knows even the film world is a parody of some kind, but what you cannot do is take it seriously which unfortunately as a rom-com this film often tries to do... to hilarious (just unintended?) effect. I'm not sure why Zellweger and Connick fall for each other so quickly because they should despise each other, even if he saves her from a snowstorm. The writing is awful, the actors do their best to save the flm.

Still, there is a market for earnest films that actually make you bust a gut laughing, unintentional or not. The main leads are good even if the film is a dog. Zellweger actually has some decent comic timing, esp when drunk -- which are a few of the moments that were actually meant to be funny. I was like, girl, come on...!

You make it better while giving more relevant back story. Like, we get an idea of Lucy's work ethic taught her by her dad (who apparently was blue collar salt of the earth), so maybe that's how she ended up liking New Ulm? Maybe? But you have to dig into it deeper, if that is your track -- like, how did Lucy end up being such a corporate shill, then? How did she lose her soul? Maybe if you convinced me that her staying in Minnesota was a chance to restore her soul and make her father (god rest him) proud, then that maybe is a key character arc. Meanwhile, why did Ted fall for Lucy? We hear the story about his dead wife, but pretty much he's just Lucy's antithesis and we never hear a reason why he would fall for her so hard because he should loathe her. there's no real arc for him, but he's a main character. Maybe he also lost his way after his wife died, and he sees something of her in Lucy that is meaningful? Lucy does help him get his daughter ready for prom, but I'm not convinced he would have, and also there's got to be more than that. The only excuse ever offered to get the two together is pure animal attraction.

Last edited:

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Watched a truly awful rom-com last night that was so bad it was actually really funny -- "New in Town" (2009) w/ Renee Zellweger, Harry Connick Jr, and JK Simmons. I learned about it because a clip from it was used in my training class yesterday, on how not to manage change at your company. Oh, it's totally awful -- big city hardass career girl gets sent to small town Minnesota by her company to manage reduction procedures at a food packaging plant, but then falls in love with small-town USA and the earnest Jesus-loving country folks, as well as the hot guy in town who she finds out is the union representative as well, and has to try and save the factory from her evil corporate overlords.

Yes, it leans to just about every cliche possible -- clueless ritzy townie with a stick up her ass falls for the local scruffy hottie who is her enemy, while the simple country folk are the salt of the earth and city people suck. The Minnesotans are just a bunch of Minnesota and/or small town cliches. Frances Conroy is entirely wasted. The corporate and factory processes are laughable. Everyone is mostly a stereotype. There is a way to make this work, and you do it by literally playing everything for laughs so that the audience knows even the film world is a parody of some kind, but what you cannot do is take it seriously which unfortunately as a rom-com this film often tries to do... to hilarious (just unintended?) effect. I'm not sure why Zellweger and Connick fall for each other so quickly because they should despise each other, even if he saves her from a snowstorm. The writing is awful, the actors do their best to save the flm.

Still, there is a market for earnest films that actually make you bust a gut laughing, unintentional or not. The main leads are good even if the film is a dog. Zellweger actually has some decent comic timing, esp when drunk -- which are a few of the moments that were actually meant to be funny. I was like, girl, come on...!

You make it better while giving more relevant back story. Like, we get an idea of Lucy's work ethic taught her by her dad (who apparently was blue collar salt of the earth), so maybe that's how she ended up liking New Ulm? Maybe? But you have to dig into it deeper, if that is your track -- like, how did Lucy end up being such a corporate shill, then? How did she lose her soul? Maybe if you convinced me that her staying in Minnesota was a chance to restore her soul and make her father (god rest him) proud, then that maybe is a key character arc. Meanwhile, why did Ted fall for Lucy? We hear the story about his dead wife, but pretty much he's just Lucy's antithesis and we never hear a reason why he would fall for her so hard because he should loathe her. there's no real arc for him, but he's a main character. Maybe he also lost his way after his wife died, and he sees something of her in Lucy that is meaningful? Lucy does help him get his daughter ready for prom, but I'm not convinced he would have, and also there's got to be more than that. The only excuse ever offered to get the two together is pure animal attraction.
the interesting thing about romantic comedies is they typically make protagonists out of people who are written more like traditional villains in other mediums but somehow in rom coms theyre "the good guys"

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

The Cat

Staff member
why though. that film trilogy was more or less perfect. a few minor issues and discrepancies from the novels, but no need to redo them.
7cbmio.jpg

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx

those types of films are the "chick" equivalent of the dumb shooters and boom boom sploshun action flicks.

from the sound of it, ted character is just a manic pixie dream boy there as a prop for the female lead
They aren't remaking Jackson's films.

They're making new shit up.
Still, why. argh

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
It's true. I remember circa early 90s wishing that I lived in a world in which new, live action Star Wars content was being made on a regular basis. Yet now I have absolutely no interest in following that franchise anymore.

I'm only hanging on to Star Trek by a thread at this point.

The other big sci fi and fantasy franchises I'm meh about and never followed too closely to begin with. Gave up on James Bond when they turned it into a Bourne clone and made Bond a guy with weird mommy issues. No interest in following the Middle Earth spinoffs either. Horror franchises have also been driven into the ground. It's all tripe and endless trash.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
It's true. I remember circa early 90s wishing that I lived in a world in which new, live action Star Wars content was being made on a regular basis. Yet now I have absolutely no interest in following that franchise anymore.
We got what we wanted...
...But we lost what we had.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
We got what we wanted...
...But we lost what we had.
perhaps if the suits had less involvement and didn't insist on rigid formulas and woke pandering, revisiting these universe would be worth it. And I'm not against real woke stuff per se, i.e. media that actually incites thought, just against the bland, condescending type of wokeness that isn't really about social justice or actual change, so much as enlarging the target market demographics. ticket sales are all they care about--if everyone became nazis tomorrow, they would suddenly be making films with white supremacist messages to rope in that audience

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
those types of films are the "chick" equivalent of the dumb shooters and boom boom sploshun action flicks.
Yeah, pretty much. I'll be honest, rom-coms are low on scale for me in terms of movie-genre. There are few I'd watch once, let alone twice. ("My Best Friend's Wedding" might be the outlier, I love that film, but it's pretty subversive and that's why I love it -- the film totally makes Julia Roberts the villain while making it a teaching moment for her and accepting the changes of life. I also liked "50 First Dates" despite myself, and "Bridesmaids" is funny as hell. Maybe "500 Days of Summer," although it hasn't aged as well. Usually if I like a romance film, it ends up being a comedy-drama, not a rom-com. Or just total comedy, like "The 40-Year-Old Virgin" or "Crazy Stupid Love".)

from the sound of it, ted character is just a manic pixie dream boy there as a prop for the female lead
OMG. You are like totally right, he literally has no arc except to be this hot scruffy blank canvas for her to project on. Wtf.

Still, why. argh
$$$$

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
perhaps if the suits had less involvement and didn't insist on rigid formulas and woke pandering, revisiting these universe would be worth it. And I'm not against real woke stuff per se, i.e. media that actually incites thought, just against the bland, condescending type of wokeness that isn't really about social justice or actual change, so much as enlarging the target market demographics. ticket sales are all they care about--if everyone became nazis tomorrow, they would suddenly be making films with white supremacist messages to rope in that audience
totally agree. Maybe that best summarizes my internal angst over the whole thing -- I'm progressive but hate the pandering woke shit because (1) they don't mean it, it's just to get money, and (2) they'd turn in a moment to make even more $$$.

I'm kinda against this recent "edit old stuff" as well, I'd rather just disclaimer it if it has some value, and let it stand. Stop editing stuff. Lucas did it because he always has to tinker with his old work, nowadays they do it for other political reasons. But you can't sanitize everything.

Can you imagine trying to sanitize "Whiplash"? or "Blazing Saddles"? Or some of Gene Wilder's snippy comments in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"? Or "Goodfellows"? Just fucking stop.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is a book thing but we don't have a thread for it -- and again... ALL ABOUT MONETIZATION OF PROPERTY REGARDLESS OF ARTISTIC CONTENT. So to me that fits it right in with the "LOTR films" they now want to produce. Or like rebooting Harry Potter. It is always about money, but today it just seems more horrific than normal because everything's trying to capitalize on something in the past even if they don't have sensible content for it. Like, how many freaking TV shows now have a reboot 20 years after they aired, even if the original show wasn't that great to start with?

At least a slight twinge of gratitude, in that the Aristides Ruiz cover actually looks like Seuss rather than the shitty knockoffs we've been seeing ever since the property was peddled around a decade or two back.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I did not even know this film was coming out until I saw a trailer for it right before Quantumania. Where have they been advertising it?

It honestly looked kind of lame -- directed at the 14-year-old crowd. Who do they expect to be paying for the tickets? About the only appealing thing to me was that Helen Mirren & Lucky Liu are chewing up the scenery and looking like they are having a hell of a good time.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
totally agree. Maybe that best summarizes my internal angst over the whole thing -- I'm progressive but hate the pandering woke shit because (1) they don't mean it, it's just to get money, and (2) they'd turn in a moment to make even more $$$.

I'm kinda against this recent "edit old stuff" as well, I'd rather just disclaimer it if it has some value, and let it stand. Stop editing stuff. Lucas did it because he always has to tinker with his old work, nowadays they do it for other political reasons. But you can't sanitize everything.

Can you imagine trying to sanitize "Whiplash"? or "Blazing Saddles"? Or some of Gene Wilder's snippy comments in "Charlie and the Chocolate Factory"? Or "Goodfellows"? Just fucking stop.
I don't mind the disclaimers either. The editing is atrocious though. I think I've watched some older movies recently that felt like certain scenes were missing from the streaming version, but I don't know if it's just my memory failing me as I age

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
sounds like the cinematic comic book universes have maybe run their courses? i just hope this doesn't kill superhero films as a genre altogether. Some of them are pretty good, but the absolute market saturation is tiresome

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I think totenkindly was mentioning Rocky recently. that whole scene in the apartment....ewww. I remember it making me uneasy the first time i saw that film. He sort of intimidates Adrian into staying and having sex. I don't know if the scene was supposed to feel romantic or sweet, but it never did. Was there a time when people thought this was a romantic scene? I'm not trying to pick on anyone, just genuinely curious if people ever saw this as a sweet moment.

unrelated, but I always preferred Rocky 3 and 4 to 1 and 2. Much more interesting villains, and I like Apollo and Rocky as buddies. I feel a little bad for Drago in Rocky 4. I know he killed Apollo, but he was basically a puppet of the soviet government--plus, Apollo should've known better going into that fight. I haven't watched the newer Creed films. Rocky Balboa was alright, and kind of made up for the mess that was Rocky 5.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is a book thing but we don't have a thread for it -- and again... ALL ABOUT MONETIZATION OF PROPERTY REGARDLESS OF ARTISTIC CONTENT. So to me that fits it right in with the "LOTR films" they now want to produce. Or like rebooting Harry Potter. It is always about money, but today it just seems more horrific than normal because everything's trying to capitalize on something in the past even if they don't have sensible content for it. Like, how many freaking TV shows now have a reboot 20 years after they aired, even if the original show wasn't that great to start with?

At least a slight twinge of gratitude, in that the Aristides Ruiz cover actually looks like Seuss rather than the shitty knockoffs we've been seeing ever since the property was peddled around a decade or two back.
Well, there's Halloween is Grinch Night, which nobody seems to believe is a thing. But that might have been made by Seuss himself, and I also guess is supposed to be a prequel.

Last edited: