First 1234 Last

MBTI
    yupp

Nope

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/so

No, I am not. I'm like, dyslexic when it comes to math, and it's honestly embarrassing. I tried everything in school to get better at it -- and while I was a bit stubborn with some things, I did try. Some teachers got through to me (there was one, actually, in elementary school... amazing.) but a lot of the others.. I don't know. Not that that matters, because I did learn from them. I really did. But those skills didn't carry through to my life now. I cannot understand numbers or math or anything, at all. It's not something I'm proud of. I wish I understood math how everyone else did. But I do not, at all.
    Oh I've finally decided my future lies
    Beyond the yellow brick road

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I had to take up to multivariable calculus, and I also had to take physical chemistry when I was in college. By that measure I am much better at math than most. However, math is a struggle for me and I don't regard myself as good at it.
    Similar here. Took multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, math methods in physics. I always had to work at it, but was reasonably successful. Sadly I don't actually need to do math at this level very often, so am woefully out of practice.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Yes, I was always good at math.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639
    Likes geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

Quote Originally Posted by Lucy_Ricardo View Post
    When it comes to daily math--figuring out tips, dividing a bill, tax percentages, etc.--I'm a whiz. I never struggled with math until college algebra. i is the square root of -1, which is an imaginary number, and it was the unravelling of my confidence in math. I still don't understand it. In high school, after raising my hand for the tenth time to say I didn't understand, my teacher actually said to me, "You're never going to get it, so you need to just give up."

That teacher was such a great motivator.
    That is the worst thing a teacher can say!

johari
    nohari
    Likes LittleCat liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    Similar here. Took multivariable calculus, differential equations, linear algebra, math methods in physics. I always had to work at it, but was reasonably successful. Sadly I don't actually need to do math at this level very often, so am woefully out of practice.
    Not even in physics?

I'm good at math, at least relative to the average person. I like calculus but I'm not such a big fan of trigonometry. I just feel like it's too much of a "black box."
    A path is made by walking on it.

-Zhuangzi

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Osprey View Post
    Not even in physics?
    My research is very applications-oriented. I suppose it's more that I do certain types of calculations over and over, and don't have to revisit math outside of this very often. I am also an experimentalist, so do not get into the sort of theoretical development, or even simulation and modelling, that some of my colleagues do. My calculations support experimental design, are validated/refined using experimental results, and then used to design devices.
    I've been called a criminal, a terrorist, and a threat to the known universe. But everything you were told is a lie. The truth is, they've taken our freedom, our home, and our future. The time has come for all humanity to take a stand...

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/so

I have tried, but have never passed a calculus class. I once gave up on math. Now, I work with numbers in a job that I mostly taught myself how to do, and am decidedly not failing. Far from it. It wouldn't be the only example of a skill I've picked up better alone than under supervision.

ISFP
    4w5 1w2 7w6 sx/so

Yes. It's not effortless however. I have to pay attention and study.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

I don't like math it frustrates me, thus I don't do well with it
    “You can tell whether a man is clever by his answers. You can tell whether a man is wise by his questions.”
    - Naguib Mahfouz

6w7 > 1w2 > 2w3