• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Technical Writing

Norrsken

self murderer
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Hello, I have a few questions about a career in technical writing. I first heard about this in the year 2012 or 2013 when I was a member of another MBTI forum, when I spoke with a fellow INFP and her career in technical writing. She said she really enjoys the challenges, the rewards, and how she exercises her love of writing in a way that still puts the bread on her table, so to speak. I was very intrigued but only ever thought of it on a rare passing over the next couple of years while I was in college. I ended up studying to become an administrative assistant, and I am now a receptionist at a bank. I don't really mind it, in a way, though perhaps my current job within that particular organization does not fit me very well. I won't get into it.

I just took a career quiz from the website Sokanu, and one of the top results was technical writing. I definitely enjoy writing as a hobby, and it was and still is a passion of mines. When everything else in my life crumbles apart, writing was there to get me through life. I do know the imagery of the starving artist, though, so I feared making a terrible mistake when I was in school and decided to take a regular kind of career instead. As it turns out, I might not be happy with the choices I've made and wished I was more bolder and unafraid when I was younger. But I suppose its better late than never. Now, before I type out an entire article and tire you out, I'll go ahead with the questions now:

1. Are you a technical writer? Or know somebody who is? If so, what is your or their job like on a day to day basis?
  2. What is your employer like? What about your work colleagues?
  3. Are you able to telecommute from home? (This is also a dream of mine: Working from the comfort of my own home.)
  4. Would you say that the salary range is very satisfactory?
  5. What are the educational requirements? Is it possible to break into this type of career without a traditional degree to back you up?
  6. What is the best thing about your career? What about the worst?
  7. Do you feel that you are able to exercise a level of creativity in the work that you do? Or does it all feel very dry?

Thank you so much in advanced!