• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

STEM

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I took another aptitude test and I still score consistantly high in STEM. What are good STEM fields?

(Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics)

á´…eparted

passages
I'm gonna nip this one in the bud; based off what you have explained about yourself, you do NOT belong in the STEM field and would not last long at all.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I'm gonna nip this one in the bud; based off what you have explained about yourself, you do NOT belong in the STEM field and would not last long at all.
And I am going to object. Any type of person (MBTI or generic type) can succeed in any field, as long as you go in with your eyes open, and a good idea of what you have to contribute, and how to make it work for you. Often those atypical people have the most to offer in a career, since they will break the groupthink and provide essential contrasting perspectives.

Better to ask: what STEM fields would make sense for someone of your nature, interests, values, and goals? For instance, I think you mentioned working in pharmacy? The medical end of STEM (often added as a second "M") might offer the best prospects. On the other hand, don't overlook the role of technology in fields like education, or engineering in addressing environmental issues or even poverty (e.g. how to provide clean water at low cost).

senza tema

nunc rosa cras fex
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I ... would be inclined to agree with Hard. You said in your social work thread that your ideal job would be some kind of scientist running exotic experiments in the field. The thing is, while the results of science may be exotic, the leg work decidedly is not. Especially the lab-based, experimental side. From what I've seen, it requires extreme attention to detail and real commitment to procedures.

I learned this the hard way. I'm not good at procedure and detail ... this is something I've come to accept about myself. I can do it in short spurts if necessary ... and it often is necessary ... but I'm not going to force myself into a life/career that keeps hammering home my inadequacies over and over again.

And given what I've seen of you, I'd advise the same thing for you as well. If you're more theoretically oriented, that might be worth looking into. What do you feel are your STEM-related strengths?

á´…eparted

passages
And I am going to object. Any type of person (MBTI or generic type) can succeed in any field, as long as you go in with your eyes open, and a good idea of what you have to contribute, and how to make it work for you. Often those atypical people have the most to offer in a career, since they will break the groupthink and provide essential contrasting perspectives.

Better to ask: what STEM fields would make sense for someone of your nature, interests, values, and goals? For instance, I think you mentioned working in pharmacy? The medical end of STEM (often added as a second "M") might offer the best prospects. On the other hand, don't overlook the role of technology in fields like education, or engineering in addressing environmental issues or even poverty (e.g. how to provide clean water at low cost).

I had a distinct feeling you'd disagree with me. I do not agree with the notion of just blindly encouraging everyone into the STEM field, or any field for that matter. For kids, sure I'm fine with it so it's done for exposure. Magic Qwan is an adult though, so this is a different matter. More importantly though, he's shown in many many different ways that he is not even remotely fit for the STEM field.

For starts, he tried nursing for a while, and could not even keep up with the most basic procedures and work required. There's enough overlap at the get go to use it as a point of indication of success or failure in areas related to it. He has professed his short attention span, hatred of detail, failure at rudimentry matters, and severe lack of work ethic. While these things can be worked around, I am almost completely convinced he could not. Largely because I gather he isn't willing to. This thread is just another in a long line of threads of hot-air speculation that amounts to nothing more than an attention grab, with no intent to actually do anything substantiating. All he wants are pep talks and to have them somehow magically do the work for him. We encouraged him to confine these things to his blog as to not clutter up the forum with his cries or hyerbolic pity parties, but it seems he's forgotten about this again, largely because he wasn't getting attention. This is ultimately nothing new.

prplchknz

MBTI Type
yupp
no no no no no no no non NO and no fuck no no non no no no no no no no no no no no stop asking advice and do something. because people try to help you and you either ignore or make excuses. and you can't say you can't function and write a book. i'vee never written a fucking book i don't have adhd and i don't have the focus to write a fucking book. sometimes i feel like i can't or just doing the bare minimum but i realize now that i have to ignore the 'pain' and the fact that bad shit might happen and just push forward if have a period during the day and it always around the same time where i have hard time doing things i work around it. but the point is everything i just said. i realize if i burst of productive energy i do as much as i can and some times i go days with out showering or eating enough food. but i have an a in my class now and i figure as long as i can succeed in school the emotional and social stuff i don't need to worry about too much. so in short we can't help you with this.

Coriolis

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Staff member
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I had a distinct feeling you'd disagree with me. I do not agree with the notion of just blindly encouraging everyone into the STEM field, or any field for that matter. For kids, sure I'm fine with it so it's done for exposure. Magic Qwan is an adult though, so this is a different matter. More importantly though, he's shown in many many different ways that he is not even remotely fit for the STEM field.
The main flaw with this argument is that one cannot speak of THE "STEM field". STEM, often written STEMM to include medicine, is extremely multifaceted. As such, we cannot generalize about jobs within STEM(M) this way. While doing laboratory research or nursing might be a very bad fit for MQ, these are only 2 of hundreds of career options. Anyone can find a suitable career within STEMM if that is where their interests lie, just as anyone can find a suitable career outside of it. Technology, however, is impacting more and more of human life such that avoiding it may become near impossible, regardless of your career choice.

For starts, he tried nursing for a while, and could not even keep up with the most basic procedures and work required. There's enough overlap at the get go to use it as a point of indication of success or failure in areas related to it. He has professed his short attention span, hatred of detail, failure at rudimentry matters, and severe lack of work ethic. While these things can be worked around, I am almost completely convinced he could not. Largely because I gather he isn't willing to. This thread is just another in a long line of threads of hot-air speculation that amounts to nothing more than an attention grab, with no intent to actually do anything substantiating. All he wants are pep talks and to have them somehow magically do the work for him. We encouraged him to confine these things to his blog as to not clutter up the forum with his cries or hyerbolic pity parties, but it seems he's forgotten about this again, largely because he wasn't getting attention. This is ultimately nothing new.
MQ is not the only one reading this thread, or potentially benefitting from any advice given. It is a legitimate question placed in the proper subforum. As threads often do, it may evolve quite beyond the intentions of the OP.

á´…eparted

passages
The main flaw with this argument is that one cannot speak of THE "STEM field". STEM, often written STEMM to include medicine, is extremely multifaceted. As such, we cannot generalize about jobs within STEM(M) this way. While doing laboratory research or nursing might be a very bad fit for MQ, these are only 2 of hundreds of career options. Anyone can find a suitable career within STEMM if that is where their interests lie, just as anyone can find a suitable career outside of it. Technology, however, is impacting more and more of human life such that avoiding it may become near impossible, regardless of your career choice.

MQ is not the only one reading this thread, or potentially benefitting from any advice given. It is a legitimate question placed in the proper subforum. As threads often do, it may evolve quite beyond the intentions of the OP.

I mostly agree with your sentiments, but I'm disinclined to discuss them, as I'd be more open got offering other ideas if this thread were started by anyone else. All Magic Qwan needs is a swift kick in the pants by life to get his shit into gear and either shape up or get out. As [MENTION=360]prplchknz[/MENTION] and I pointed out, he does not need "advice".

ceecee

Coolatta® Enjoyer
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
I took another aptitude test and I still score consistantly high in STEM. What are good STEM fields?

All STEM Disciplines

We don't have any idea what a would be a good STEM career for you. Aptitude tests are fine but there is much more to a career.

Swivelinglight

Permabanned
Since this thread seems to be more about MQ than the actual topic, I'll throw my two cents in. It seems to me that this isn't about attention whoring, but more so about MQ having a potential quarter life crisis. I've seen it a couple of times on some occupational subreddits, so it looks kind of familiar. The best advice I can give regarding this situation is to look up all the potential options and tune it down to a few good ones. Once you're stuck between a few options that are similar in outlook it would be best to pick the best one you have going for you. After you pick don't look back, and go completely all out with that one option.

edit: also, while this thread is a good effort in finding potential options; it's not very good in general. Typoc is not an ideal place to find information on potential occupations. Except maybe on vent, when you could talk to people in person about their jobs, but you're still limited to the jobs that people on vent have or had. Therefore, I really do suggest googling occupations, taking career tests, taking college major quizzes, and looking at certain subreddits.

Avocado

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Since this thread seems to be more about MQ than the actual topic, I'll throw my two cents in. It seems to me that this isn't about attention whoring, but more so about MQ having a potential quarter life crisis. I've seen it a couple of times on some occupational subreddits, so it looks kind of familiar. The best advice I can give regarding this situation is to look up all the potential options and tune it down to a few good ones. Once you're stuck between a few options that are similar in outlook it would be best to pick the best one you have going for you. After you pick don't look back, and go completely all out with that one option.

edit: also, while this thread is a good effort in finding potential options; it's not very good in general. Typoc is not an ideal place to find information on potential occupations. Except maybe on vent, when you could talk to people in person about their jobs, but you're still limited to the jobs that people on vent have or had. Therefore, I really do suggest googling occupations, taking career tests, taking college major quizzes, and looking at certain subreddits.
Thank you, [MENTION=10786]Swivelinglight[/MENTION]. When you speak about VENT, you mean Ventrillo, right?

I'll definitely go check out those subreddits and take more career tests.

Again, thank you for understanding me.

Qre:us

Aptitude is different than ability.

Also, this:

...may be harsh, but I would agree with it.

[MENTION=18694]Magic Qwan[/MENTION], you seem like a genuinely nice guy, with a big and soft heart, but man, oh man, you seem very lost, and needing constant validation from online. As a spectator, it is exhausting, so I don't know what it is like to live in that uncertainty. I feel for you.

You may feel very alone in your offline life, so I sympathize. Which likely is the reason for starting all the threads you do.

In the last month (30 days, since May 09, 2015), these are threads you've started, which all share a common vein:

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...rs/76539-feel-tension-career-feel-pursue.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/health-and-fitness/76562-day.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/general-psychology/76599-dont-upset-feel-depressed.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/support-and-advice/76631-did-i-do-the-right-thing.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/foru...h-performance-stop-worrying-job-security.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/support-and-advice/76897-strength-temper.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/support-and-advice/76944-life-warzone.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/academics-and-careers/77044-social.html

http://www.typologycentral.com/forums/academics-and-careers/77074-stem.html

That's 9 threads in, say, 30 days. Which averages to one such thread every 3.3 days. There's no rules against starting threads, so I'm not criticizing you on starting these threads.

But.....

Maybe it's time to introspect, and ask some deeper questions. Like what the commonality is between all those threads. Why do you start those threads? What is it you're really asking? What are you looking for? What do you need to do to find whatever it is that you are looking for? Is this the place to find such answers? If not, where is the place to find such answers?

It might be hard to look that deep inwards, but it might help.

/.02 cents worth of unsolicited armchair opinion

violet_crown

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp

[MENTION=18694]Magic Qwan[/MENTION]. I'm gonna give you some advice.

Fuck people. Do you.

You wanna be a coder? Do it. You wanna be a geo-ethno-botonist with interest in cellular molecology or whatever the fuck. Do it. Who gives two shits whether something is "right for you" or not?

There have been things I have done career-wise in my life just because I knew I was bad at them. Case in point: finance. I was horrible at math, lack all attention to detail, and didn't know what the fuck an NAICS code was much less how to find the discount on a bond investment. But you know what? I hustled. I found an internship. Pitched the shit out myself. And dedicated myself mind body and soul to being awesome at finance.

Was it for me? Fuck no!

However, the skill set and knowledge that I gained from that experience set me up to be a more well-rounded professional. It was another tool for my kit, and another feather in my cap to say that I more or less talked my way into a job with a VC that most people would sell their fucking mothers to have had a taste of. More to the point, it set me up to do shit I actually DID enjoy down the line.

It is 2015. Not 1955. You are not your career. Most people don't stay in a job more than 2 years anyways. Stop asking dipshits on the internet who have their own baggage, bullshit and bitterness for permission to live your own life, and do something.

If you have an aptitude and interest in STEM, then fuck it. Explore that interest freely. Be free, dude. Life is too fucking short. You do a couple semesters of compsci and figure out that shit isn't for you. Fine. Switch majors and be the most analytical English major the world has ever seen. Leverage natural language processing to visualize the works of The Bard. Or tell the history of WWII with numbers in a way that would make Spielberg weep. The world is your oyster and it is ruled by polymaths.

But most of all don't be afraid. There's so many people in this world who will tell you no. If that slows you down, then you will go exactly nowhere in this life, because there's always some other motherfucker out there to tell you why you can't. Fuck them.

Everything in life comes down to your own belief in yourself. If you don't think you're good enough, you aren't. It's just that simple. All the threads in the world will not get you the validation you need to make you believe in yourself.

You will fail. It will suck. You will succeed. It will not last. That's just the way that it goes. Everyone loses until they win.

So get over it, Magic. No one here should give more of a shit about you or your happiness than you, or ought to. Explore, figure out what feels right to you and roll with it. There are no right answers. There is no way to prevent bad shit from happening to you. So just get on with it. Nothing good gets away.

You want more practical advice then that, ask a better question than the weak dick nonsense that you posted in the OP. In the meanwhile, best of luck to you, kiddo.

Qlip

Post Human Post
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^^^ Good stuff up there.

Like Rex said, just do something and do your best. When you can't decide, you're way ahead by flipping a coin and going for it than being stuck in limbo, learning to rely solely on others instead of learning how to exercise your judgement.

gromit

likes this
I did well on that sort of aptitude test, and I pursued engineering, bc I was good at math and science. It turned out the day-to-day job of an engineer was NOT something I could see as sustainable for myself in the long run. I'm now pursuing a Doctor of Physical Therapy degree, and my clinical rotations as a student physical therapist have been soooo much more satisfying (and I think use my personality strengths in much better ways) than engineering ever was.

So I echo what others have said, don't just go off of aptitude, find something that works with your cognitive AND personality strengths.

But sometimes you don't know until you try. So in that sense, I also agree with what others have said about just jumping in to something. That's a great way to learn more about what you want and also get some real-world experience in at least one area. For me, I learned a lot about what I can do well in the real world (vs based on aptitude) from engineering, and I gained some really good skills too, professional skills, analytical skills, etc. So even though I didn't end up doing engineering for the rest of my life, I learned a TON and it's stuff that will carry over into whatever I do subsequently.

One thing I would recommend though, is to make sure to either get some scholarships or to attend a school that is not very expensive, because it can be VERY expensive to finance an education otherwise, and I think a lot of kids don't realize this and attend a super expensive school with no hopes of ever paying their loans back.