• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Why is Fi the most devauled or unappreciated function?

Lady_X

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I was literally just thinking that I forgot to wish you happy birthday.

Starrrryyy!!!!! mad love sweets! i'm so happy you're here!

Starry

Starrrryyy!!!!! mad love sweets! i'm so happy you're here!

Whoops...this was the quote I wanted to quote above...along with Forever's comment. I can't tell you how good it is to see you post and hear your voice in my mind.

***I should also say that I do not think Fi is devalued at all. To the contrary...I think this is why we have so many FJs mistyping as FP.

Starry

Irl Fi isn't valued enough, I feel like. But it could also be that Fe tends to be the glue that holds people together. So in a collective context, Fe is going to be "preferred."

We live in a nation that appreciates individualism over community though. I guess I would want to ask you directly how would you know Fi was being dismissed or undervalued? What does that look like?

Starry

Apparently I am supposed to be pretty individualistic compared to others (Fi-dom and E4) but I have never felt appreciated in that way.

As an INFP 4 you don't want to be appreciated in that way (haha I'm going to get in trouble from OrangeAppled I think)

á´…eparted

passages
Um I don't think you understood what I was saying. And I have spent way too much time on typology to be unsure of my type. Yes Fi-doms are quiet, I don't really see what's untrue about that.

No. It is a tired stereotype with little basis. A good number of Fi-doms will be quite, but many will not be as well. One of my good friends is an INFP and he is rather loud and talkative. In otherwords, it's not a good indicator for type.

á´…eparted

passages
that doesn't automatically mean I am mistyped though. I have been that way and been friends with INFP who are that way as well, so that is my impression.

Sure. I have no opinion on what your type is either. Just pointed out a stereotype that shouldn't be used since it has no bearing on typing.

Permabanned
I think I posted somewhere on this forum, maybe it was this thread, that value isn't "skin deep." Apparently I am supposed to be pretty individualistic compared to others (Fi-dom and E4) but I have never felt appreciated in that way. There is a going through fire a lot of us have to go through in order to become individuals, Fi or not. And it's mainly because it grates against the overwhelming collective values.

Also Fi-doms tend be quiet, we don't assert ourselves. While Fe-doms are pretty extroverted about how they want the group to be, or just in general more expressive.

weren't you typing as infj a week ago?

Starry

And yes it does have a basis since both 4 an 9 are both soft-spoken, can be rather reserved. And I haven't encountered that many 4s with 8 in their tritype. 6 and 9(specially) tend to be common, even for tritypes.

Bring me a description of the soft spoken 4.

Starry

It's just, I have never 1) not taken the time to understand what the person was saying, and 2) decided using their two posts that they are mistyped. I have posted extensively on PerC for both INFP and type 4, and if I were, someone would have said something. Even one person.

I'm calling bs on this.

Starry

You do not just randomly try to invalidate someone's entire personality though...that is not okay. And your basis was just a few posts, I believe.

Bring me something from the FAQs that says I can't "just randomly" question someone's type...because I think here...on a typology website...I can.

á´…eparted

passages
And yes it does have a basis since both 4 an 9 are both soft-spoken, can be rather reserved. And I haven't encountered that many 4s with 8 in their tritype. 6 and 9(specially) tend to be common, even for tritypes.

It still shouldn't be used for typing. Reason being is they are very minor components of both of those types. There are much larger themes at work for those personalities. If you want to say most 4's and 9's are soften spoken, then that would be fair. I wouldn't entirely agree to it, but it would be a fair statement.

Also FWIW I think you're being excessively defensive to [MENTION=10082]Starry[/MENTION]. She had no malice in what she's proposing, and she didn't randomly try to invalidate your personality. She thought you might be mistyped, you disagreed. Both of which are fair. It only becomes out of line if an individual presses the issue aggressively after one wishes them to stop (you asked so it likely will there). Regardless, no one is on the attack here.