• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

The Couch and the Cult

Mole

Permabanned
Typology Central is like the couch of the psychoanalyst. Most of us free associate, we express parts of ourselves we normally keep hidden, and interestingly we sometimes express parts of ourselves we normally keep hidden even from ourselves.

The tragedy and the comedy of Typology Central is that although it encourages free association, it provides no psychoanalytic interpretation.

So Typology Central is a loop without an end. It keeps going on and on without a denouement or a climax. So Typology Central is a successful induction, a trance or hypnotic induction, with no way out.

And such an induction is the hallmark of a cult.

Zoom

Self sustaining supernova
Enneagram
9w8
Typology Central is like the couch of the psychoanalyst. Most of us free associate, we express parts of ourselves we normally keep hidden, and interestingly we sometimes express parts of ourselves we normally keep hidden even from ourselves.*snip*

Congratulations, ye just described a good night out with one's mates. Which, methinks, is a small part of the point of an online forum.

Two years away and many of your posts still don't make sense. :coffee:

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
Don't cults tend to aggressively silence detractors?

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of typology systems at the moment but being disagreed with isn't the same as being silenced. May I be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has been banned from here for criticising or lambasting typology.

Lord Lavender

Bluered Trickster
MBTI Type
EVLF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
My god the mole has again risen from the earths core. Everytime Mole posts I think of this video

Agent Washington

Softserve Ice Cream
:campfire:

Mole, sometimes your points are thought provoking, and I THINK I kinda see what you're trying to do. It would be great if you could explain a bit more clearly what you're trying to get at, because a lot of times the stuff I'm thinking about is likely less of what you're trying to say, than deciphering what you're saying. I do see the value of some of your input, but otherwise I'm just not sure I understand where you're coming from so I just stop thinking about it and leave.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
72138a05adadcefc876b2ca4575cde1d.jpg

Mole

Permabanned
Congratulations, ye just described a good night out with one's mates. Which, methinks, is a small part of the point of an online forum.

Two years away and many of your posts still don't make sense. :coffee:

The only thing more important than a good writer is a good reader, so if my posts still don't make sense to you after all this time, perhaps you might like to consider whether it is your comprehension that is lacking.

And indeed there is a huge qualitative difference between a good night out with one's mates and psychoanalysis.

And if you think there is no difference it would suggest to me an aggressive, vulgar anti-intellectualism.

And I suspect this is something you are proud of. And naturally you seek to rally your mates against the educated.

Mole

Permabanned
Don't cults tend to aggressively silence detractors?

I'm not exactly the biggest fan of typology systems at the moment but being disagreed with isn't the same as being silenced. May I be corrected if I'm wrong, but I don't think anyone has been banned from here for criticising or lambasting typology.

It is to the credit of Typology Central, the owner, and the moderators, that critical thinking about mbti and its history is allowed here.

At the same time we should realise that critical thinking does raise cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful. We discovered this three thousand years ago in the Agora of Athens in Ancient Greece when Socrates engaged in critical thinking in public. This was so emotionally painful, he was accused of corrupting the youth and put to death.

Perhaps we should have a trigger warning that critical thinking does trigger emotional pain. And it is best if it is freely chosen, and also that critical thinking underlies all learning and has been an integral part of the West for 3,000 years.

And we should also point out that free speech guaranteed in the American Constitution protects critical thinking, even though it is emotionally painful.

The emotional pain of critical thinking is like the pain of first using an unused muscle, the more we use it, the less the pain.

Mole

Permabanned
:campfire:

Mole, sometimes your points are thought provoking, and I THINK I kinda see what you're trying to do. It would be great if you could explain a bit more clearly what you're trying to get at, because a lot of times the stuff I'm thinking about is likely less of what you're trying to say, than deciphering what you're saying. I do see the value of some of your input, but otherwise I'm just not sure I understand where you're coming from so I just stop thinking about it and leave.

Yes, there is a problem, I try to fill the problem by posting in PDF books that explore these ideas more fully. But I suspect no one reads these PDF books on their computers. And I also suspect that most come here to find like minded people. And perhaps it is a shock to discover someone with a different mind. Perhaps we should have a trigger warning: beware, beware, the shock of difference ahead.

Mole

Permabanned

There is something deeply touching about the White Rabbit on the couch, and even more touching seeing Dr Freud listening so intently to a White Rabbit.

But it actually makes sense as in following the White Rabbit, obsessed with time, Alice tumbles down the rabbit hole, and in effect tumbles down into her unconscious. And indeed it is the unconscious that Dr Freud listens to on the couch.

For Alice and the White Rabbit click on Alice In Wonderland ♥ Alice meets White Rabbit HD - YouTube

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
The only thing more important than a good writer is a good reader, so if my posts still don't make sense to you after all this time, perhaps you might like to consider whether it is your comprehension that is lacking.

And indeed there is a huge qualitative difference between a good night out with one's mates and psychoanalysis.

And if you think there is no difference it would suggest to me an aggressive, vulgar anti-intellectualism.

And I suspect this is something you are proud of. And naturally you seek to rally your mates against the educated.

That's a lot of words to say call a viewpoint stupid. Intellectualism certainly has its own gluttony.

Mole

Permabanned
That's a lot of words to say call a viewpoint stupid. Intellectualism certainly has its own gluttony.

I don't understand why you want to pick a fight with me, I suspect it is a displacement and you want to pick fight with someone close to you, someone on your side of the world, someone in your own culture, someone with your education, and someone with your social standing. I am none of these things and it would be too dangerous for you to pick a fight with someone close to you, so I am a kind of substitute.

Mole

Permabanned
read title as couch and the cunt

This is a free association and reflects a desire to demean us.

This is a far more serious attack than first appears, as demeaning removes meaning, and this is an important step in removing our humanity.

And here it is passed off as humour.

It is ressentiment, bone marrow deep hatred that dare not speak its name.

Permabanned
This is a free association and reflects a desire to demean us.

This is a far more serious attack than first appears, as demeaning removes meaning, and this is an important step in removing our humanity.

And here it is passed off as humour.

It is ressentiment, bone marrow deep hatred that dare not speak its name.

do you sit in a leather armchair when you typoc

ChocolateMoose123

Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't understand why you want to pick a fight with me, I suspect it is a displacement and you want to pick fight with someone close to you, someone on your side of the world, someone in your own culture, someone with your education, and someone with your social standing. I am none of these things and it would be too dangerous for you to pick a fight with someone close to you, so I am a kind of substitute.

That's sure is a lot of guesswork but sure, throw it all to the wall and hope some of it sticks. That is a valid defense.

I just said you called someone stupid using way too many words. That using intellect to insult via verbosity is the same as saying it plainly. To think it's not, is a sign of gluttonous intellectualism.

Mole

Permabanned
That's sure is a lot of guesswork but sure, throw it all to the wall and hope some of it sticks. That is a valid defense.

I just said you called someone stupid using way too many words. That using intellect to insult via verbosity is the same as saying it plainly. To think it's not, is a sign of gluttonous intellectualism.

You might be interested to know that I have encouraged Red Herring to tell us when she doesn't like us, providing she doesn't insult us. And practising what I preach, just yesterday I told a member I didn't like them, without insulting them.

So to call someone stupid is insulting, and to call someone a gluttonous intellectual is also insulting. And insults are against the rules, whereas we are free to simply say I don't like you.

I can't say I don't like you but I am working up to it.

Cellmold

Wake, See, Sing, Dance
It is to the credit of Typology Central, the owner, and the moderators, that critical thinking about mbti and its history is allowed here.

At the same time we should realise that critical thinking does raise cognitive dissonance which is emotionally painful. We discovered this three thousand years ago in the Agora of Athens in Ancient Greece when Socrates engaged in critical thinking in public. This was so emotionally painful, he was accused of corrupting the youth and put to death.

Perhaps we should have a trigger warning that critical thinking does trigger emotional pain. And it is best if it is freely chosen, and also that critical thinking underlies all learning and has been an integral part of the West for 3,000 years.

And we should also point out that free speech guaranteed in the American Constitution protects critical thinking, even though it is emotionally painful.

The emotional pain of critical thinking is like the pain of first using an unused muscle, the more we use it, the less the pain.

Sure, I agree; criticism can be challenging when it hits on the uncritical belief.

But can the produce of one's critical thinking, when subject to critical thinking itself, also cause cognitive dissonance I wonder?