• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I would rather have 10 incredible episodes versus a 24-26 episode slog through mostly garbage. Lost would have benefited from tighter seasons, and Waking Dead, etc.

I also tend to like arcs too. Otherwise I will only watch the good episodes, if there is no arc to follow.

Pretty much with the shift to streaming and not being on such a pattern as network series orders for Fall and Spring drops, and advertising not necessary involved in streaming, yeah, it's probably a thing of the past.

The Cat

Offering FREE Monkey paws down at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I would rather have 10 incredible episodes versus a 24-26 episode slog through mostly garbage. Lost would have benefited from tighter seasons, and Waking Dead, etc.

I also tend to like arcs too. Otherwise I will only watch the good episodes, if there is no arc to follow.

Pretty much with the shift to streaming and not being on such a pattern as network series orders for Fall and Spring drops, and advertising not necessary involved in streaming, yeah, it's probably a thing of the past.
Lost and Walking Dead became their titles. There's such a beautiful symmetry to that. I love it.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
1000005171.jpg

The Cat

Staff member
Ok so here I am again going through Deep Space 9 again. Move along Home always feels like the price I have to pay for watching season one. We do not enjoy this episode. We suffer it to happen unto us. The sin we must eat to pass into the next leg of the journey.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

White Raven
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Ok so here I am again going through Deep Space 9 again. Move along Home always feels like the price I have to pay for watching season one. We do not enjoy this episode. We suffer it to happen unto us. The sin we must eat to pass into the next leg of the journey.
I liked that one. It was very TOS.

Doctor Cringelord

MBTI Type
I
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
I really want to punch Wesley and Riker whenever I watch “Hollow Pursuits”. I love how Picard refuses to transfer Barclay and scolds Geordi and Riker for calling him Broccoli. The look on Riker’s and Geordi’s faces says it all. They are ashamed. I wish there were more Picards in management. I also love it when Data basically calls Geordi and Wesley out on spreading the nickname, and how Data sees the others trying to lift Barclay up and makes his own effort to lift Barclay. This episode brings tears to my eyes, even if it kind of fails to directly address social anxiety by muddling the message up and making holo addiction the focus. Barclay’s issue isn’t his holo addiction—the addiction is a symptom of a deeper issue and the episode sort of skirts around it and then never really resolves anything. Although I guess it felt more true to life in that sense

Lots of people can’t stand Barclay but he’s probably the most human, believable character on TNG.

The Cat

Staff member
Hot take: Alexis staged the crash that led to the colony in Paradise. She didn't have faith in her own ideals and yet she felt confident enough to lead a cult into space.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

White Raven
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hot take: Alexis staged the crash that led to the colony in Paradise. She didn't have faith in her own ideals and yet she felt confident enough to lead a cult into space.
Of course she didn't have faith in her own ideals. That's why she had to control everyone else. I wouldn't put it past her to do that.

The Cat

Staff member
Of course she didn't have faith in her own ideals. That's why she had to control everyone else. I wouldn't put it past her to do that.
Don;t mistake me, I think she believed in her ideals. She would have to to be able to inspire people once the shit hit the fan. She doesn't have bad ideals per say, but she has no faith in them, hence the works she puts into them have no conscience, so "whatever it takes" becomes acceptable in service to the mission. She is a bad shepherd sacrificing the flock in her charge. She has forgotten the face of her father. Her need to control everyone else seems less born out of a need to control others as much as she feels she needs to control everything so that others will make the right choice. I understand the sentiment, but I find her means and execution rather gauche.

DS9 takes this approach with Eddington, and those poor horny repressed fellows who tried to take over rhysa because the citizens of the federation dont have enough abs and arm definition, or whatever their cover story was also. Subtle messaging that the only people who dont want to live in the Paradise of the Federation are terrorists, repressed ideologues, and fringe cult lunatics.

I just find it interesting and amusing. I'm a bit like Weyoun that way.