• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Star Trek thoughts

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I don't know a ton about Section 31, but supporting this point is the fact that a decent chunk of the Star Fleet admirals we meet are shady or corrupt. (Picard and Kirk hold this rank at times but obviously don't count.)
Or do they? A fair warning we should turn back now if you wish to continue to romanticize Kirk and Picard, I'll leave the choice up to you... ^_^

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Fine with which letting sleeping Gorn lie, or boldly going where no one has gone before?
Fine with leaving ambiguous responses.

Really, though, I'm ready to boldly go where no one has gone before. I'm ready to use split infinitives. I'm ready for ripping off Douglas Adams.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
Fine with leaving ambiguous responses.

Really, though, I'm ready to boldly go where no one has gone before. I'm ready to use splint infinitives. I'm ready for ripping off Douglas Adams.
As an Admiral Kirk was kind of a jerk, and as an admiral picard was according to himself not great at not being just another admiral who didnt live up to the ideals of the federation, which i suppose is why q gave him one last mirror universe jaunt to make him feel better about it because...it could have been worse.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
As an Admiral Kirk was kind of a jerk, and as an admiral picard was according to himself not great at not being just another admiral who didnt live up to the ideals of the federation, which i suppose is why q gave him one last mirror universe jaunt to make him feel better about it because...it could have been worse.
Oh, interesting. What did Picard do that he felt so conflicted about?

The Cat

Staff member
Oh, interesting. What did Picard do that he felt so conflicted about?
He's got a whole complex with romulans, Borg, and androids. Also he retired to the winery. That seems to be something he regrets in all the timelines but I suspect he only does because his brother's family is killed in the fire.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
He's got a whole complex with romulans, Borg, and androids. Also he retired to the winery. That seems to be something he regrets in all the timelines but I suspect he only does because his brother's family is killed in the fire.
So he thinks he should have stayed more involved with Starfleet and regrets what happened because he didn't?

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Lol

Also Generations is about the opposite. It's about Picard re-affirming his choice to live the Starfleet life. I don't remember if he's an admiral in that. First Contact is about him confronting his demons with the Borg.

Last edited:

The Cat

Staff member
This is the kind of section 32 series I want.
A principled Starfleet officer being allowed to be a principled starfleet officer because of the men and women who work in the shadows. Those who give up paradise for the sake of paradise for others.​

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is the kind of section 32 series I want.
A principled Starfleet officer being allowed to be a principled starfleet officer because of the men and women who work in the shadows. Those who give up paradise for the sake of paradise for others.​
Is this connected to the Native American planet from TOS? I can think of no good reason why Paramount wouldn't be itching to revisit The Paradise Syndrome.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
It's not too bad. Kinda good even.
I picked up where I left off. Episode 6.

First, it's interesting that this show has a few Romulan characters who are fantasy characters transported to the Star Trek universe. We have Romuland Legolas, and we also have Romulan Jamie and Cersei Lannister. I find Romulan Jaimie interesting, and I noticed that in the end he did care for Soji, despite carrying out Romulan Cersei's orders.

Second, it was a little goofy when Soji kept scanning herself and going "noooo" as she discovered she was an android (she only did the "noooo" once, but still).

Third, I find Raffi to be comically over the top in the way her alcoholism is depicted. She's constantly carrying around a bottle of liquor and taking a swig practically everywhere she goes. She can't keep that stuff in her room and get back to it after finishing with whatever she needs to do on the bridge? I know she and Picard go way back, but even so....

Fourth, the best part of this episode by far was Jean Luc being haunted by his past with the Borg. I think I see what you meant when you said that he has his flaws, such as when he declares that the Borg "cannot change". We also see in the episode that when he sees evidence to the contrary, he immediately changes his mind. Many people would not do that; I think that's very admirable for an admiral.

Fifth, if this style is too irreverent, I apologize. I listen to a podcast where the hosts take this approach even towards the things they like. I liked the episode overall; there were simply things I found goofy.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I liked the opening episode or two of Picard S1, was bemused or just eh on the rest. I enjoyed the end of the season and of course where Picard ends up was what was expected.

Season 2 was better IMO, it starts stronger, but then vacillates and wastes some of that good will.
https://www.typologycentral.com/threads/random-star-trek-thoughts.107411/page-20#post-3378798

I really liked Season 3, it's too bad you have to sit through two "eh" seasons at times to get to this pretty amazing season that manages to please fans but is also extremely suspenseful. I will always recommend that season.

https://www.typologycentral.com/threads/random-star-trek-thoughts.107411/page-21#post-3379269

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I liked the opening episode or two of Picard S1, was bemused or just eh on the rest. I enjoyed the end of the season and of course where Picard ends up was what was expected.

Season 2 was better IMO, it starts stronger, but then vacillates and wastes some of that good will.
https://www.typologycentral.com/threads/random-star-trek-thoughts.107411/page-20#post-3378798

I really liked Season 3, it's too bad you have to sit through two "eh" seasons at times to get to this pretty amazing season that manages to please fans but is also extremely suspenseful. I will always recommend that season.

https://www.typologycentral.com/threads/random-star-trek-thoughts.107411/page-21#post-3379269
Something that annoyed me about Season 1 when I first tried to watch it was that it seemed like they were trying to make Star Trek more like Game of Thrones.

When I picked up where I left off last night, though, I found myself shrugging or laughing those elements off. It no longer seemed to bother me as much; there are good moments and ideas present beyond attempts to make Star Trek darker and edgier. Picard evolving his ideas on the Borg was pretty good, and I know I've seen at least part of the TNG episode with Hugh, so that reunion was meaningful and didn't feel like fan service.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
yeah, it just felt like crappy B-TV writing to me pretty much, and like they wanted to try new ideas and be edgy but had no idea what to do with them and it ended up being silly. Discovery Season 1 had this problem too, although overall I thought it far better; there, they had 4-5 really cool twist / edgy ideas that they tried to ram through and resolve way too quickly, versus being patient and building up to them.

But I guess TNG was wildly inconsistent -- they had episodes that were top-notch TV drama, then episodes that were absolutely terrible.

The Cat

Staff member
I want a show where the Doctor and Barclay odd couple their way through teaching at Starfleet Academy with Bashir and O'Brien training up the next next generation.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Up the Wolves
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I want a show where the Doctor and Barclay odd couple their way through teaching at Starfleet Academy with Bashir and O'Brien training up the next next generation.
That's what we need. The Next Next Generation.