• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Random Movie Thoughts Thread

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
I see a shared-watch drinking game in everyone's near future.
I sensed a great disturbance in the force, as if millions of livers cried out and were suddenly silenced. They ought to name that game Leaving Las Vegas.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Booya.

The Marvels and Madame Web, this is not.

1708548983197.png

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
This is one of those movies that is infinitely rewatchable. So many interpretations. I get a different take each time I watch it.

Oh, and teenage me would be horrified, but I think I'd get the procedure. There are things I'm just better off not remembering, where I'd be like: yes, delete all memories of that, please. I don't want to be reminded of how poorly I handled something.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
This is one of those movies that is infinitely rewatchable. So many interpretations. I get a different take each time I watch it.
Yeah, it was really also fascinating to me that the FB post that I grabbed that from had a heated debate on whether it was a positive ending or just two screwed-up people going back needlessly to a dysfunctional relationship rather than moving on.

I dunno. They are both screwed up; it doesn't necessarily mean they'd be less screwed up in other relationships. And both seem connected to each other or wanting to be at least.

Oh, and teenage me would be horrified, but I think I'd get the procedure. There are things I'm just better off not remembering, where I'd be like: yes, delete all memories of that, please. I don't want to be reminded of how poorly I handled something.
I couldn't do it, myself.

I'm okay with negative feelings, pain, embarrassment. To me it is more frightening not to have full awareness of my life and choices, and thus to not properly understand myself and others. I have always been this way, though -- I don't want to forget, no matter what kind of shape I was in at the time. It can hurt a lot to remember, but forgetting is worse.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So I accomplished my main weekend goal (I know I'm an underachiever) in that I already finished watch Dune part 1 again, which I haven't watched completely through for probably 18 months or more.

First of all, I get sick of critics who dock part 1 of stories simply because it is "part one". Why are you evaluating a film for something it's not? It's not SUPPOSED to be the full story, it should be measured for what it was trying to do. Like, are you a genius for spelling out the obvious and then penalizing a film for not being something else? Would you rather have a full length great novel adapted into a shitty 2.5 hour film, or would you rather have two films that tell the story wonderfully in 5+ hours?

I think Dune p1 does everything it needs to do, and elegantly. I'm kind of amazed it manages to pull off so much and still generating strong emotion throughout while only being part of the story. Villeneuve is always great at this. He manages (unlike Nolan or the Wachowskis or some other directors) at providing background information in ways that are incorporated into what's unfolding, and only what is necessary to set up the film. We learn things along with Paul, but it never feels like anything is being preached at the camera, and the one moment where we get what amounts to a page about the fremen and Arrakis from the encyclopedia, it's because Paul is literally using an AV encyclopedia/wiki.

The film itself has a unique appearance and feel to it.

Everything feels so large and spacious.

We quickly come to feel the right things about the various characters, even with not a lot of screen time. We get a really great snapshot (here and there) of Paul's dad, that really conveys his love for his son and for Jessica, a man who must be honorable because it's his character, but also operating under a cloud of doom because he knows he is being positioned for extinction. Rebecca Ferguson is so fully a member of the Bene Gesserit and also a mother, you can't really separate them -- she swings between deep love and fear for her son, while also breaking with her order to just have him and then train him to be this mythic figure. Duncan Idaho is a gallant fighter with passion and flair who loves the Duke and his family; Gurney Halleck is just as loyal but he's a dour and fierce realist.

While people like Lucas just can't write political intrigue to save their lives, this story is all boiled down to the essentials without getting caught up in the trivialities, and it's very easy to follow. The planet is being exploited by the Emperor and Harkonnen, with the Fremen considered pests on their own land; Atreides has gotten too strong for their own good but is too honorable (and also not wanting to be accused of treachery) to refuse the Emperor's command, so they've been ordered into a weak position to both fail and be vulnerable, to remove them as a threat... and I'm not even sure the Emperor isn't considering a way to undermine the Harkonnen as well once their usefulness is ended, less their wealth make them an unstoppable force. It doesn't have to explain the intricacies of trade, it captures the broad strokes of the political moves on what feels like a personal and understandable level without a lot of talk.

The story does a lot of set up but also feels interesting in itself, as the plotting unfolds, and there are some epic battles, important plot scenes, scary moments, and all culminating in Paul leaving his child self behind and winning a place among the Fremen. Even with a lot of the story feeling like positioning, it still has its own arcs that it accomplishes and is no less interesting to watch.

edit: I also need to say, this thing is just the worst.

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, it was really also fascinating to me that the FB post that I grabbed that from had a heated debate on whether it was a positive ending or just two screwed-up people going back needlessly to a dysfunctional relationship rather than moving on.

I dunno. They are both screwed up; it doesn't necessarily mean they'd be less screwed up in other relationships. And both seem connected to each other or wanting to be at least.

I couldn't do it, myself.

I'm okay with negative feelings, pain, embarrassment. To me it is more frightening not to have full awareness of my life and choices, and thus to not properly understand myself and others. I have always been this way, though -- I don't want to forget, no matter what kind of shape I was in at the time. It can hurt a lot to remember, but forgetting is worse.

I go back and forth.

I can remember things that were beautiful, which can be beautiful, or it can just make it more painful because I'm reminded of how I lost it and what I lost.

Have these experiences taught me anything? I think in one case they didn't teach me anything I wouldn't have learned elsewhere.

In another case, they did teach me something, so I suppose that's worth holding on to.
edit: I also need to say, this thing is just the worst.

IMO, that thing is the equivalent of the cat-milking sequence from the David Lynch version. I love them both.

I really like Stellan Skarsgard in this. He plays these unhinged characters really well.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMO, that thing is the equivalent of the cat-milking sequence from the David Lynch version. I love them both.
Don't get me wrong. I think it's a really great addition.

It's just that I'm still disturbed by this three hours later and can't stop wanting to obsess over it.

The woman they had do the motion capture is a ballerina, btw, and made a whole spider dance when she was younger. She no longer does it, but I guess that's how they found her (which they saw a video of her online). Her spider dance is much more like a spider -- this creature was animated more like a spider-like creature with hands that doesn't really know how to move well right now because it was not born this way.

I don't think it is Wanna verbatim, but it could have been made of parts of her. THere is something human in it because it recognizes the speech of the bene gesserit.

I really like Stellan Skarsgard in this. He plays these unhinged characters really well.
That suit where he weighs 600lbs... Yeeez. He's like this grotesque mound of flesh, like a human-looking Jabba the Hut. I assume he floats around because he can't walk with that much weight.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I don't think it is Wanna verbatim, but it could have been made of parts of her. THere is something human in it because it recognizes the speech of the bene gesserit.
That didn't occur to me, that it might be Yueh's wife.

I did find a video of the spider dance you mentioned.

I hope we get to see Stage III Guild Navigators.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I have been waiting to read this because I wanted to see Part 2 first and go in surprised.

But this is just getting more and more fascinating.
I hope I didn't spoil anything.

You haven't read the book? They're hinted at, but not actually seen until the sequel, Dune Messiah. Regardless, David Lynch included one in his movie, a slug-octopus looking thing. I would like to see what off-putting thing Villenevue would come up with, at some point.

Last edited:

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I hope I didn't spoil anything.

You haven't read the book? They're hinted at, but not actually seen until the sequel, Dune Messiah. Regardless, David Lynch included one in his movie, a slug-octopus looking thing. I would like to see what off-putting thing Villenevue would come up with, at some point.
I saw the Lynch movie SO long ago that I barely remember anything and it made no sense.

I know some of the basic world-building and am aware of the navigators, I just didn't know what they looked like, but I don't mind learning world-building stuff. I was just avoiding major story points as much as I could for Villeneuve's films. I just aware of the overall theme of religious zealotry and how Paul is kind of thrust into this role of outsider savior but maybe that is not a great role to be in.

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I saw the Lynch movie SO long ago that I barely remember anything and it made no sense.

I know some of the basic world-building and am aware of the navigators, I just didn't know what they looked like, but I don't mind learning world-building stuff. I was just avoiding major story points as much as I could for Villeneuve's films. I just aware of the overall theme of religious zealotry and how Paul is kind of thrust into this role of outsider savior but maybe that is not a great role to be in.
I really hope they get to do a third movie based on the second book, because I think that's where Herbert really articulated what he was trying to say.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I really hope they get to do a third movie based on the second book, because I think that's where Herbert really articulated what he was trying to say.
Well, I don't know if you had read about it, but Villeneuve (although he needs to do something else after this Dune Part 2) has said he really wants to make the third movie. Money aside, based solely on the acclaim of this one (both parts), he should be able to write his own ticket, you'd think. He just really needs a palate cleanser film right now.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
That didn't occur to me, that it might be Yueh's wife.

I did find a video of the spider dance you mentioned.

I hope we get to see Stage III Guild Navigators.

Guild_Navigator_Edrik-Hunters_of_Dune_%282006%29.png

The cosmic fetus look was David Lynche's aesthetic, in the books they're more like Lovecraftian Deep Ones.​