• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Pokemon Go

What are your colors?

• Total voters

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
in other news team instinct is still relatable

Tennessee Jed

MBTI Type
INFP
[...] it's primarily the social and nostalgia factors that seem to be causing people to gravitate to this game. [...]

I don't have any problem if the game is defined in these terms. It's those people who make extravagant claims about the beneficial effects of the game (weight loss, crowds of people communing in parks, homebound people suddenly becoming social butterflies) that I'm addressing. That's what I meant when I said, "Be realistic in your expectations of the game." It's just a children's game, and it's going to have limited appeal and a short half-life.

Time will tell how long it lasts. After all, it was designed for 10-year-olds. Redesigns for adults are going to be problematic. Frankly, I think Dance Dance Revolution had much broader public apeal. But in the end, DDR was still just a fad. I don't think any better can be said about Pokemon Go. Though time will tell.

Again, I'm not trying to be cynical or mean. I'm just going by the history of these sorts of things. I remember when hula hoops came back in fashion, and everyone made a big deal about the nostalgia and fitness potentional of a new hula hoop craze. But in the end they only lasted about 2 weeks. :)

[MENTION=17131]Chanaynay[/MENTION],

Same response. If the claims of benefits are reasonable, I have no quarrel. I'm just pointing out: It's a fad, and I'm predicting a short half-life and a quick end.

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would just like to point out just how quickly Mystic has risen in the ranks of popularity. It pleases me beyond all imagining to see fellow wisemen and wisewomen exit the shadows and stand still and firm in the face of Instinct's unrefined energy and Valor's...Valorness.

TeamMysticIs4ever and always remember,

"Only the strong can thrive in Winter"
[MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION] [MENTION=25708]meme duchess[/MENTION] [MENTION=28147]rxr[/MENTION] [MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION] [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION]

HongDou

navigating
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I would just like to point out just how quickly Mystic has risen in the ranks of popularity. It pleases me beyond all imagining to see fellow wisemen and wisewomen exit the shadows and stand still and firm in the face of Instinct's unrefined energy and Valor's...Valorness.

Team Valor is riddled with white supremacists and Team Mystic only washes their hair once a week

Hawthorne

corona
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Confession time. This plays in the background of my mind every time I'm forced to set aside my composure and shit-talk the competition:

Torrance is Valor. Missy is Instinct.

Radian

Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
what the hayy
PGO just came out few days ago and this thread is already 21 pages long
---
just played today. my GPS system kinda suck, and I realized using 4G is very very much of a data waste

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
What is Red may never die #TeamValor

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I'm scared to play it because .....
I'LL NEVER STOPPP

Yes you will, you will stop when your legs turn into jelly from chasing too many rattatas

Yama

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ESFJ
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Do you have unlimited data, or find a lot of wi-fi hotspots?

I have T-Mobile and the smallest data plan available. With T-Mobile, when you run out of data, they do not shut it off or charge you extra, they just turn the 4g down to 3g. It's been very convenient. Not to mention I almost always am on wifi, and when I'm not, PoGo barely uses any data.

Forever

Permabanned
MBTI Type
NiFi
Enneagram
3w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I have T-Mobile and the smallest data plan available. With T-Mobile, when you run out of data, they do not shut it off or charge you extra, they just turn the 4g down to 3g. It's been very convenient. Not to mention I almost always am on wifi, and when I'm not, PoGo barely uses any data.

Ooh nice! Yeah, I have AT&T and if I go over the limit they charge $15 extra to add 1 GB to our plan lol. But they send warning texts. I use a lot of data because I love soundcloud/spotify. :c I try to stay using wi-fi in my apt. lol

Tater

If people are negative about Pokemon Go, I think it's because it's one more overhyped fad in a long line of overhyped fads.

eh... no. a lot of people are negative about pokemon go for many the same reason they were negative about pokemon back in 1999. some girl gets hit by a car after catching a pokemon, and her irresponsible parents blame the game. then, pastors start saying the game is devil work after learning that it allows players to conjure creatures and 'evolve' them. the most prevalent reason i personally hear is that it would form an addiction for people and seize too much time and resources.

sure, pmg has a limited time to live, but the franchise has proven to have staying power. since its inception over 16 years ago, it has spawned countless titles, movies, and merchandise. additionally, pokemon has made its presence felt in other nintendo intellectual property, and even games outside of nintendo's jurisdiction. concerning the future, pmg has introduced so many users to augmented reality that it has increased the potential appeal of virtual reality platforms. moreover, pmg is only nintendo's first potent maneuver in the market of mobile gaming, so this isn't the last you'll hear of it or other related ips.

having played pokemon blue back in the day, the term 'fad' was the opposite thought to enter my mind when i first saw social media implode with pmg screenshots. 'fad' was the same criticism brought against it in the late 90's, so the popularity of this new title thoroughly disproves those old assessments. pmg has impacted an audience across generations; i see users of all ages and backgrounds bonding over this idea. i doubt it's a coincidence.

Back 10-15 years ago, there was a dance craze thing that was supposed to get America moving and solve obesity. I forget the name, but the one where foot pads light up and you step on them. (ETA: Dance Dance Revolution)

A few years after that, Wii was supposed to get America moving and solve obesity.

Now, Pokemon Go is supposed to get America moving and solve obesity.

Yeah, right.

Personally, I don't see any problem with playing Pokemon Go. I haven't bothered playing it myself. I don't even have a smart phone; just a dumb one. I'm 60 years old and not into pursuing cutting edge tech. But I was driving by the local park this evening after picking up some Chinese take-out for a late dinner, and I wondered why people were standing around in the park in small groups in the dark, staring at their phones. Then I remembered about Pokemon Go and I was kind of tickled to see it going on right there in front of me.

But still, it's just one more overhyped fad. The Pokemon Go fad will eventually pass, and something even newer and better will come along in another year or two, and it too will supposedly get America moving and solve obesity. Because that's how we solve obesity in America--with games and toys. And meantime Americans keep getting fatter and fatter. :)

Seriously: If people want to get physically fit, then they should put down the phone and the toys and get a gym membership. And then visit the gym and work up a good sweat a couple times a week for the rest of their life. That's how it's done in real life. No games, no strolling around the city staring at your phone. Just good, honest sweat on a regular basis. Video games are good for downtime; I still play World of Warcraft on a daily basis for fun at dinnertime. But don't confuse computer or video games with a real workout. It's just doesn't work that way.

I'm not trying to be cynical or mean here. I'm just saying: Be realistic in your expectations of the game. The Pokemon Go fad will pass in a matter of a few weeks or months at most, and people will still be fat. If people really want to get in shape, they need a gym membership, not another video game.

the exercise elements of this game are only a perk. my central argument still stands.

Tater

TeamMysticIs4ever and always remember,

"Only the strong can thrive in Winter"
[MENTION=22257]Floki[/MENTION] [MENTION=25708]meme duchess[/MENTION] [MENTION=28147]rxr[/MENTION] [MENTION=24479]themightyfetus[/MENTION] [MENTION=7991]chickpea[/MENTION]
giphy.gif