• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Dune Movie

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Seeing it tomorrow at the local theater that thankfully survived the pandemic. I listened to the soundtrack last night and it gave me chills.

Do you mean you've never read the book? I'm shocked. I felt you would have read it for sure.
:oops:

Yeahhhhh.... My problem is I tried to read it when I was too young (I was probably ten) and never got very far, and it kind of put me off to trying later. I got engrossed instead in Tolkien and Donaldson and Brooks and Le Guin and never got back around to Herbert. I mainly am excited now because it's Villeneuve, and then my secondary excitement is finally learning more about this story I missed years ago.

Ironically, my son (who is going with me tonight) read the book a few weeks ago (it took him 2-3 days) so he's much more aware of the story than me. I am happy to watch the film and eventually read the book based on how much I enjoy the film.

Totenkindly

@.~*virinaĉo*~.@
MBTI Type
BELF
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Interested to hear what the book readers thought about it. My perspective is going to be a bit different, as I had nothing to compare it to and could just take it at face value.

I am aware that the first 100-200 pages of book involved a lot of exposition and setup, which I am assuming was streamlined and reshaped into just the kernels that carried the story forward on the screen. So we didn't get a ton of the backdrop about the Emperor for example, or long descriptions of space travel issues, or explanations for the largest organization in play here and what they are trying to accomplish. However, films aren't really capable of that level of exposition -- you have to go to longer formats like prestige TV if you want that kind of thing -- and I will say I was never/rarely confused on what was actually happening, because I was listening to the dialogue and short lines of dialogue unpacked a lot.

(I also thought that what true exposition that was foisted on the audience was handled as organically as possible -- for example a few sequences where Paul is naturally trying to learn about the Fremen or Arrakis, for example, so HE'S getting information which we are overhearing, and it's never too long, it's just enough to understand what is being seen.)

In a nutshell, I picked up the gist of everything, at least in the film:

Obviously there is a lot more going on in the book -- we don't really get much about space travel aside from Spice being needed for the navigators to handle light speed jumps, since I guess (from talking to my son) AI / robotic help has been abandoned long before due to a potential uprising, so humans have turned to other ways of providing that kind of utility. I think this relates too to the Mentats, where we see two in the film (one belong to each house, marked by the lip tattoo) -- they are genetically engineered to be kind of "living computers" I guess and perform those kind of data/calculative roles in the society when needed.

I did rewatch half the film when I got home again to catch bits of dialogue that I missed on screen (on occasion, characters talk too fast and/or quietly), but pretty much I was picking everything up easily enough. I found it pretty accessible considering how bad it could have been.

The art and sound design was just incredible. Nice cinematography -- Villeneuve tends to go for simple shots with a lot of wide open space -- and there was care made with shots that could have been throwaways (like spaceships landing and taking off, under cool weather configurations) to lend them gravitas and energy. I got chills when the Emperor's envoy first lands to formally offer Atreides possession of Arrakis. The design of the copters was so neat, like the dragonfly. Somehow Zimmer even got bagpipes to fit into the sound palette for the film. Even the title design was cool, with the same shape representing all four characters just spun about and is still entirely readable.

The core characters were well cast and evoke a lot of emotion. I like how Jessica veers between fear (for her son) and ambition (to hone his skills). Leto has both a feeling of mourning and resolute hopefulness about him. Paul is wrestling with a lot, as he passes from innocence to experience. I like how the Fremen at the end seem dismissive of Paul until he proves himself, unlike all the machinations earlier in the film and even his visions; maybe everyone else bought into the propaganda, but he's going to need to sell his value by his worth.

Oh, did anyone else note that the interstellar carrier ships look an awful lot like sandworms, in terms of design? Is that on purpose?

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Interested to hear what the book readers thought about it. My perspective is going to be a bit different, as I had nothing to compare it to and could just take it at face value.

I am aware that the first 100-200 pages of book involved a lot of exposition and setup, which I am assuming was streamlined and reshaped into just the kernels that carried the story forward on the screen. So we didn't get a ton of the backdrop about the Emperor for example, or long descriptions of space travel issues, or explanations for the largest organization in play here and what they are trying to accomplish. However, films aren't really capable of that level of exposition -- you have to go to longer formats like prestige TV if you want that kind of thing -- and I will say I was never/rarely confused on what was actually happening, because I was listening to the dialogue and short lines of dialogue unpacked a lot.

(I also thought that what true exposition that was foisted on the audience was handled as organically as possible -- for example a few sequences where Paul is naturally trying to learn about the Fremen or Arrakis, for example, so HE'S getting information which we are overhearing, and it's never too long, it's just enough to understand what is being seen.)

In a nutshell, I picked up the gist of everything, at least in the film:

Obviously there is a lot more going on in the book -- we don't really get much about space travel aside from Spice being needed for the navigators to handle light speed jumps, since I guess (from talking to my son) AI / robotic help has been abandoned long before due to a potential uprising, so humans have turned to other ways of providing that kind of utility. I think this relates too to the Mentats, where we see two in the film (one belong to each house, marked by the lip tattoo) -- they are genetically engineered to be kind of "living computers" I guess and perform those kind of data/calculative roles in the society when needed.

I did rewatch half the film when I got home again to catch bits of dialogue that I missed on screen (on occasion, characters talk too fast and/or quietly), but pretty much I was picking everything up easily enough. I found it pretty accessible considering how bad it could have been.

The art and sound design was just incredible. Nice cinematography -- Villeneuve tends to go for simple shots with a lot of wide open space -- and there was care made with shots that could have been throwaways (like spaceships landing and taking off, under cool weather configurations) to lend them gravitas and energy. I got chills when the Emperor's envoy first lands to formally offer Atreides possession of Arrakis. The design of the copters was so neat, like the dragonfly. Somehow Zimmer even got bagpipes to fit into the sound palette for the film. Even the title design was cool, with the same shape representing all four characters just spun about and is still entirely readable.

The core characters were well cast and evoke a lot of emotion. I like how Jessica veers between fear (for her son) and ambition (to hone his skills). Leto has both a feeling of mourning and resolute hopefulness about him. Paul is wrestling with a lot, as he passes from innocence to experience. I like how the Fremen at the end seem dismissive of Paul until he proves himself, unlike all the machinations earlier in the film and even his visions; maybe everyone else bought into the propaganda, but he's going to need to sell his value by his worth.

Oh, did anyone else note that the interstellar carrier ships look an awful lot like sandworms, in terms of design? Is that on purpose?

Yes, there was the Butlerian Jihad, which led to the outlawing of "thinking machines". That's why there are the mentats as well as the Spacing Guild.

As to the movie. I enjoyed it but did not think it was as good as Arrival or Blade Runner 2049. I also found it hard to hear his vision in the tent.

But yes, your summary is accurate and that's how it went down in the book

Last edited:

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Also, no cat milking in this version, but that would have been in part 2.

I suspect Villeneuve will not include that Lynchian touch.

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Perfect film. Was definitely made by someone who knew their stuff. They got practically everything from the books, including some stuff ive not seen mentioned anywhere apart from them. The Old Duke and the Bull references, along with the Orange Catholic Bible just dropped in without info dump. The Aesthetics perfectly capture the book while still giving a nod to the films that came before. Flawless Victory of a film.

Last edited:

Abcdenfp

Terpsichore
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7W8
Was beautifully done. Made me want to read the books. I felt whisked away and outside of time as the movie flew by. I hope they greenlight part 2

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Coming in as someone who has both never read the book or seen any of the previous movies (though I ought to do both...)

I liked it! I kind of felt like it might have been better suited as a TV series on HBO or something like that (Been also watching Foundation every Friday and I get similar feelings between both) but I really like how they've tee'ed up Part 2 and I thought it did a good job of setting the stage and introducing the characters.

Some random questions

The Cat

Just a Magic Cat who hangs out at the Crossroads.
Staff member
Coming in as someone who has both never read the book or seen any of the previous movies (though I ought to do both...)

I liked it! I kind of felt like it might have been better suited as a TV series on HBO or something like that (Been also watching Foundation every Friday and I get similar feelings between both) but I really like how they've tee'ed up Part 2 and I thought it did a good job of setting the stage and introducing the characters.

Some random questions

tinker683

Whackus Bonkus
MBTI Type
ISFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Thank you! Not only answered my questions but now I'm really keen on getting into the books

Julius_Van_Der_Beak

Expert in a Dying Field
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so

Some random questions

Some of that is from those prequel novels Frank Herbert's son wrote, I think (along with Kevin J. Anderson who wrote a stupid Star Wars story where IG-88 took over the second Death Star). I'm not sure I like that explanation for Harkonnen's appearance. I prefer to think he becomes completely debauched and got a device so he doesn't have to walk (seems like something a rich asshole might do) which along with a gluttonous diet contributes to his massive appearance.