• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

New Dune Movie (character typing)

yeghor

There are human analysts and tacticians employed as advisors by Great Houses in the Dune setting, called the Mentats.

From 3:45 on in the clip below, some mentat traits are mentioned such as:
-ability to process large amounts of data by studying patterns and logic involved
-while trying to eliminate bias and prejudice
-under a moral constraint (conscience)
-to make predictions and forecasts for military and socio-political purposes

These characteristics sound like an intuitive thinker judging type. I think a similar specialized training/education programme is required for intuitives in real life to enhance their prediction and assessment capabilities. Or perhaps AIs might take over that role.

On Butlerian Jihad and the Mentat Discipline

Also an homage to @Speed Gavroche.

I'm reading that boog again, I'm at the half, this is my guessing so far.

Atreides
Paul/Muad'Dib: INTJ 5w6
Duke Leto Atreides: ISTJ 8w9
Jessica Atreides: INFJ 2w1
Gurney Halleck: ESTP 7w8 Sp/So
Thufir Hawat: INTP 6w5
Duncan Idaho: INTJ
Hueh: INTP

Harkonnen
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen: ESTJ 8w7, maybe ENTJ
Pieter: ENTP 7w6, maybe ENFP
Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen: ISTP 8w7
Rabban: ISTP

Fremen
Stilgar: ENFJ 8w9
Chani: ISFJ
Harrah: xSFJ
Liet Kynes: INTP 5w6

Imperium
Emperor Padishah Shaddam IV: ISTJ, maybe INFJ
Princess Irulan: ISFJ, maybe INFJ

Bonus
Frank Herbert: ENTJ

yeghor

My attempt at typing the new Dune movie characters

House Atreides
Duke Leto Atreides: ESTJ
Jessica Atreides: ESFJ
Paul Atreides - Their son: ISTJ
Muad'Dib : ENTJ
Gurney Halleck - Military Advisor: ISTJ
Duncan Idaho - Renowned Soldier: ISFJ
Thufir Hawat - Mentat: INTJ
Wellington Yueh - Doctor: ISTJ, but ISFP when broken.

On House Atreides and the overall story of the movie (Beware, spoilers)

House Harkonnen
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen : ESTP
Piter de Vries - Twisted Mentat : INTP (sidenote: Actor Bred Dourif who played this character in previous version of Dune, also played Grima Wormtongue in LOTR)
Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen - Baron's nephew: ISTP (Reminds me of Jamie Lannister in GoT)
Glossu Rabban (Military Enforcer) - ESFP

Fremen
Stilgar - Fremen Leader: ESTP
Chani - Paul's love interest: ISFJ
Harah: ? don't know yet
Liet Kynes - Ecologist for House Atreides: ENFJ (Turns out he was a white male in books played by late Max Von Sydow but they replaced him with a black female in the movie, yet she pulls the role off)

Imperium
Emperor Padishah Shaddam IV: ESTJ
Princess Irulan: ? don't know yet

yeghor

Made the following revisions to the typing.

House Harkonnen
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen : ESTP Must change this to ISTP, he is more of a schemer/conspirator then a bruiser, yet also enjoys physically harming others on occasion.
Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen - Baron's nephew: ISTP (Reminds me of Jamie Lannister in GoT) Must change this to ESTP, he, like Jamie Lannister, is much more action/body oriented.

yeghor

Two ISFJs, same scene, different settings

Duncan Idaho

Ser Barristan Selmy

yeghor

I've typed Thufir Hawat the Mentat as INTJ earlier but in the movie, the actor playing him (Stephen McKinley Henderson) has a warm and compassionate body language and doesn't look emotionally detached so I wonder if Thufir can be typed as an INFJ instead.

Spoiler warning

yeghor

Baron Vladimir Harkonnen - ISTP - Analyzing Evil series

I am inclined to type the Baron as an ISTP. I saw him typed as ENTJ on personality database here and here but to me it feels like he has a more sinister, paranoid and introverted personality. He is a calculating character with a hunger for wealth and manipulates other people's desires to bind them to his will or destroy them. He is also a glutton.

In the above video at 10 minute mark, it is discussed that although Baron amasses wealth he doesn't use it to improve and maintain his capitol, he hoards wealth just for himself. That is not something you'd expect in ExTJs, who would construct optimized and well-maintained and well-ordered power houses/structures around themselves.

That's why ISTP being led by Ti (intellect/scheming) coupled with Se (desire for material wealth) seems plausible. In the INTP case, intellect is coupled with Ne which implies desire for mental wealth/hoarding.

I am beginning to think most crime lords and evil villains in movies causing moral corruption to spread around them, such as Sauron, Voldemort, Palpatine even Hitler maybe were actually ISTPs.

In contrast, ExTJs would like something like this:

Duke Leto Atreides - ESTJ

yeghor

Piter de Vries - Twisted Mentat - INTP

Twisted mentats are mentats who don't display the moral restrictions and conduct expected of mentats, i.e. they lack conscientousness. In other words twisted mentats are a P type rather than a J type. The analytical and forecasting mental skills expected of them mean they are an NT type, meaning they must be INTPs.

A shorthand I use to differentiate b/w ENTP and INTP is that ENTPs are mad and absent-minded scientists/inventors (such as Dr. Emmett Brown in Back to the Future) and there's a child-like innocent quality to them whereas INTPs are evil scientists/inventors (such as Doctor Finkelstein in Nightmare before Christmas) and are much more focused and intentful in their actions and end-goals.

Piter de Vries Analysis by Nerd Cookies

yeghor

A shorthand I use to differentiate b/w ENTP and INTP is that ENTPs are mad and absent-minded scientists/inventors (such as Dr. Emmett Brown in Back to the Future) and there's a child-like innocent quality to them whereas INTPs are evil scientists/inventors (such as Doctor Finkelstein in Nightmare before Christmas) and are much more focused and intentful in their actions and end-goals.

Cannot edit the previous post. It is possible to add as well the mad/absent-minded "wizard" stereotype for ENTPs (such as Tom Bombadil in LoTR or Sybill Trelawney in Harry Potter) and evil wizard for INTPs (such as Saruman in LoTR).

Deviating from the Dune topic temporarily, Gandalf when sent back saying that he is (now) Saruman "as he should've been" I believe means Saruman was expected to act dutiful like an INTJ but somehow got corrupted under Sauron's will or was corrupt from the very beginning with personal ambitions and desires that led him astray from the task he was entrusted.

yeghor

Gurney Halleck - ISTJ
He used to be a slave under House Harkonnen.

Gurney Sword and Shield Training

yeghor

Lady Jessica - ESFJ

Typing mostly based on the actress and the character's orderly and protective feminine nature. She is a concubine to the Duke so I would assume she is supposed to have above average beauty and feminine qualities.

yeghor

Feyd-Rautha Harkonnen - Baron's nephew: ISTP (Reminds me of Jamie Lannister in GoT)
Glossu Rabban (Military Enforcer) - ESFP

I was watching some Game of Thrones clips lately and I noticed that while I was thinking Jamie Lannister to be an ESTP, Gregor Clagane the Hound is much more fitting of an ESTP and in contrast, Jamie Lannister is nothing like him.

So I've come to the conclusion that Jamie Lannister might instead be an image conscious ESFJ, that makes more sense in that I think Joffrey Baratheon is also an immature ESFJ and his uncle Tyrion mentions that Joffrey reminds him of Jamie in his younger years on some occasions.

How all this relates to Dune is that I earlier said Baron Harkonnen's nephew Feyd reminded me of Jamie Lannister in GoT, that might mean that Feyd in Dune is also an image conscious immature ESFJ, and he is described as handsome and dangerous at the same time, and as someone who plots for his uncle the Baron's demise as he feels entitled to replace him. His demeanor might be similar to young Joffrey in GoT, a spoiled prince.

That might also mean Rabban the Beast (Baron's elder nephew, Feyd's elder brother) is an ESTP rather than an ESFP that I suggested earlier.